Alexi Lalas insists Mauricio Pochettino should NOT return as USA coach

Alexi Lalas believes US Soccer should move on from men’s national team coach Mauricio Pochettino following Monday’s humbling 4-1 World Cup defeat to Belgium.

‘I mean, it’s not that I want him to leave,’ the divisive 56-year-old told talkSPORT. ‘I just think that this cycle has run its course.’

The United States had been in strong form through the group stage and followed it with a Round-of-32 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina. But aside from Malik Tillman’s 31st-minute equalizer in the Round of 16, there was little for Pochettino’s side to take from the Belgium match.

Christian Pulisic struggled to influence the game before leaving in the second half with a leg injury, while Folarin Balogun produced just one shot after FIFA controversially suspended his red card, clearing him to face Belgium.

Lalas acknowledged that the US would likely have faced a daunting task against Spain in the quarterfinals — a challenge Belgium ultimately could not meet on Friday — but argued that a more competitive Round-of-16 display might have justified keeping Pochettino in charge.

Instead, Lalas said the nature of the performance made it clear that Team USA should part ways with Pochettino.

US Soccer should cut ties with men's coach Mauricio Pochettino after Monday's embarrassing 4-1 World Cup loss to Belgium, according to fullback-turned-commentator Alexi Lalas

Alexi Lalas says US Soccer should move on from men’s coach Mauricio Pochettino after Monday’s 4-1 World Cup defeat to Belgium

Broadcasting analysts and former soccer stars Alexi Lalas, left, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic watch the World Cup quarterfinal soccer match between Norway and England in Miami Gardens

Broadcast analysts and former soccer standouts Alexi Lalas, left, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic look on during the World Cup quarterfinal between Norway and England in Miami Gardens

‘When it comes to Mauricio Pochettino, you had one job,’ Lalas said. ‘And it was the game against Belgium. You win that game, then you’re in some rarefied air. And it’s not gravy but let’s be honest, you’re playing against Spain. And you take your chances, you’re back in an underdog type of role.

‘So I think that they [US Soccer] move on. I believe he’s had a good time, but you had one job, and you blew it. And, you know, you live and die by that. Every coach understands that, every manager understands that, and certainly Mauricio Pochettino does.

‘It was an abject failure,’ Lalas continued. ‘It’s one thing to go out to Belgium, it’s another thing to go out in the way they went out, especially with the way that they looked through the tournament. I don’t think the confidence and excitement was misplaced for this team, but they picked the worst possible day to play their worst possible game. It’s obviously on Mauricio Pochettino and these players.

‘Does it completely negate everything they did? No. But the reality is a lot of that goodwill and a lot of the people that came into the tent … they’re left shaking their head and there’s an inquiry going on right now … rightfully holding this team and this coach to account.’

A native of Argentina, Pochettino got in the American spirit by tossing out the first pitch before a Seattle Mariners-Toronto Blue Jays game on July 3 before beating Bosnia in the Round of 32

A native of Argentina, Pochettino got in the American spirit by tossing out the first pitch before a Seattle Mariners-Toronto Blue Jays game on July 3 before beating Bosnia in the Round of 32

US Soccer reportedly presented Pochettino with an extension proposal weeks earlier, but according to The Athletic, any decisions on the matter were to be postponed until after the World Cup.

‘We have a great deal of respect and gratitude for Mauricio, his staff and everyone part of the program,’ US soccer said in a statement after the tournament. ‘We have shared excitement about our potential and also shared clarity about the amount of work at all levels still required to achieve our ambition.’

The 54-year-old Pochettino was well received when he was named the USMNT head coach two years ago after previously coaching Tottenham Hotspur, Paris Saint-Germain, and Chelsea. There had been reports linking him to the AC Milan job, but the Italian giant has since hired ex-Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim.

Addressing reporters after the loss to Belgium, Pochettino declined to comment on his future and the chances of him coaching the USMNT at the 2030 World Cup.

‘Now is not a moment to talk about that,’ he said at his postgame news conference. ‘I think now is a moment to see, to assess the tournament. You know, I’m sure in the next weeks we can start to talk if [US Soccer] wants to talk.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Acrobat Sues Cirque du Soleil After Fall Shatters 12 Bones

A former Cirque du Soleil acrobat who was seriously injured in a…

Only 4% Say Prince William Should Move First Toward Harry

Prince William should leave it to Prince Harry to take the first…

Handcuffed Mother of Accused Teen Killer Breaks Down in Tearful Confession

A Pennsylvania mother accused of helping her teenage son conceal the body…

Mum Flies to US to Reopen Case of British Graduate Shot by Dad

The mother of a British woman shot dead by her father in…

Four Family Members Die in Devastating House Fire Tragedy

A California family is reeling from an unthinkable tragedy spanning three generations…

Thoughtful Man Surprises California Deli Server With Heartwarming Gesture

A California deli server received an unexpected show of gratitude from a…

Melania Appears Alongside Trump at Freedom 250 IndyCar Race

First Lady Melania Trump stepped back into the public spotlight on Sunday,…

Trump Rages as Canada Rejects Proposed Trade Deal Offer

Donald Trump sharply escalated his criticism of Canada in a late-night broadside,…

Hollywood’s Thinness Epidemic Is Putting Girls’ Health at Risk

Hollywood might be less inclined to brush off the growing public alarm…

Zelensky’s Strike on ‘Russian Amazon’ Turns Russians on Putin

Anastasia watched the other passengers warily as the packed bus carried her…

Camilla’s Gesture to Prince Harry May Ease Sussexes’ Concerns, Bower Says

Six years after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left Britain in pursuit…

Faces of Five Men Killed in TikTok Joyride Police Crash

The five young men who died when a car being driven the…