Anti-war protest erupts into chaos
Share this @internewscast.com

In Sydney, tensions flared outside an international arms exhibition as demonstrators clashed with law enforcement officers.

On Tuesday morning, a substantial crowd of protesters assembled at the International Convention Centre in Darling Harbour. Police, who were out in force, struggled to maintain order as protestors pushed against the metal barricades.

The unrest coincided with the opening of the three-day Indo Pacific International Maritime Expo.

Authorities deployed pepper spray to disperse the demonstrators, prompting many to rinse their eyes with water.

In total, ten individuals were arrested during the confrontation.

Of those detained, eight remain in custody, while two others were released without facing charges.

Many in the crowd were pro-Palestinian supporters, who were joined by several Greens MPs

‘War criminals not welcome here,’ protesters shouted.

Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside the International Convention Centre (pictured), where the Indo-Pacific Weapons expo has kicked off

Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside the International Convention Centre (pictured), where the Indo-Pacific Weapons expo has kicked off

Police have made at least ten arrests so far

Police have made at least ten arrests so far

Protesters were doused in water after police used pepper spray on the large crowd

Protesters were doused in water after police used pepper spray on the large crowd

‘Chris Minns, blood on your hands, Albo, blood on your hands’.

A protest organiser told the Today show: ‘We’re here to peacefully protest against a convention of war criminals. 

‘The United Nations has found genocide in Gaza. This convention is a clear breach of international law.

‘Everyone knows that, the government knows it, and here they are going ahead with it anyway, with a thousand cops to protect the war criminals.’

Palestine Action Group organiser Josh Lees claimed that protesters were attacked by police and blamed NSW Premier Chris Minns on the fiery scenes. 

‘We’re just trying to assemble for a peaceful protest, and the police attacked us with horses and pepper spray, you know, and arrest us,’ he told NCA Newswire.

‘This is absolutely despicable.

‘This is on Chris Minns. This is Chris Minns’ event. He sponsored it. He’s brought all these cops here to attack peaceful protesters. This is on him.’

A heavy police barricade remains in place

A heavy police barricade remains in place 

Officer scrambled to hold back the large crowd attempting to charge into the building

Officer scrambled to hold back the large crowd attempting to charge into the building

Many protesters had Palestinian flags and placards

Many protesters had Palestinian flags and placards

The police operation remains ongoing.

‘Police will work with protesters to ensure there are no breaches of the peace and there is minimal impact to the community,’ a NSW Police statement read. 

A heavy police presence is expected to remain at the scene for much of Tuesday. 

‘Police are at the location to ensure the safety and security of delegates at the venue and the wider community,’ Sydney City Superintendent Paul Dunstan said.

‘Anyone not complying with police directions, or found to be breaching the peace, will be arrested and dealt with accordingly.’

Minns told ABC Radio that he was unaware of the circumstances surrounding the protests.

The Premier added he was not responsible for invitations to the event and had no input into decisions regarding Australia’s relationships with foreign countries or arms manufacturers.

‘That’s the Commonwealth government’s responsibility, it’s not mine,’ Minns said.

‘What I would say is that they’re not selling nuclear weapons down at Darling Harbor this weekend. It’s a maritime conference relating to the navy.’

At least eight arrests have been made, despite protest organisers claiming it was intended to be a 'peaceful' demonstration

At least eight arrests have been made, despite protest organisers claiming it was intended to be a ‘peaceful’ demonstration

A protester washes his eyes out after being pepper sprayed by police

A protester washes his eyes out after being pepper sprayed by police

The protest comes a year after similar scenes in Melbourne, when thousands of demonstrators clashed with police and attendees at a major defence and weapons expo.

Protesters lit multiple fires near the expo, blocked traffic and climbed on top of a truck.

The NSW government is the principal sponsor of the biannual Indo Pacific event, the region’s premier commercial maritime and naval defence expo connecting Australian and international defence, industry, government, academia and technology leaders.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic Carjacking Incident Claims Lives of Father and Three Children in Devastating Crash

The tragic incident that claimed five lives, including that of the suspected…

Somali Fraud Scheme Unfolds in Minnesota During Tim Walz’s Tenure

Trust in Minnesota’s social welfare system has been severely undermined by fraudsters,…

Friends Unveil Insights into Tupac’s Personal Life and Sexuality

When a 17-year-old Tupac Shakur first entered Leila Steinberg’s living room, she…

Union Leader Exposes Party’s Trust Issues Amid Budget Deception Scandal

Labour’s top financial backer, the union Unite, has sharply criticized Rachel Reeves,…

American County Launches Unconditional $500 Monthly Stipend for Residents

In a significant move aimed at supporting its lower-income residents, Cook County,…

Meghan Markle’s Lavish Netflix Holiday Wardrobe: A Closer Look at the Stunning Costs

Meghan Markle has kicked off the holiday season with a touch of…

Shocking Welcome: Tourist’s £3,000 Gold Chain Stolen Just Hours After Landing in London

A popular TikTok influencer from the United States recently shared a harrowing…

Search for Missing Cave Diver Ends in Tragedy

An interstate cave diving trip turned tragic in South Australia, resulting in…

New Side Effect Emerges for Weight Loss Injection Users

Users of weight-loss injections are reportedly facing a troubling new side effect,…

Unveiling Nikki Haley’s Son: The Surprising Insights from His Mother

On September 15, 2018, Nalin Haley, a teenager at the time, shared…

Unveiling the Controversies Surrounding the 2025 Miss Universe Pageant

The Miss Universe pageant, traditionally a showcase of beauty and talent, has…

Uncover the Real Story: Nicole Kidman’s Nashville Lifestyle Revealed!

Nicole Kidman found herself spending Thanksgiving apart from her two youngest daughters.…