Shadow Defence Minister Andrew Hastie at the waterfront of Mandurah, in his electorate of Canning. 09/08/2024 Photo: Trevor Collens
Share this @internewscast.com

Andrew Hastie has decided not to contest the leadership of the Liberal Party against Opposition Leader Sussan Ley in the upcoming challenge. This decision clears the path for senior Liberal figure Angus Taylor to potentially step forward.

The backbencher from Western Australia said in a statement today he would not contest the leadership of the Liberal Party, citing a lack of support from the rest of the party.

Hastie addressed recent speculations regarding the leadership of the Liberal Party, stating, “Over the past few weeks, there has been speculation about the future leadership of the Liberal Party of Australia.”

Shadow Defence Minister Andrew Hastie at the waterfront of Mandurah, in his electorate of Canning. 09/08/2024 Photo: Trevor Collens
Andrew Hastie will not challenge Opposition Leader Sussan Ley for leadership of the Liberal Party next week. (Trevor Collens)

He continued by saying, “I’ve previously expressed my willingness to lead the Liberal Party and serve both my party and our country. However, after consulting with my colleagues and considering their candid feedback, it has become evident that I lack the necessary support to assume the leadership of the Liberal Party.”

Despite stepping back from the leadership race, Hastie affirmed his commitment to championing key issues such as immigration and energy, ensuring these remain at the forefront of his political agenda.

“But having consulted with colleagues over the past week and respecting their honest feedback to me, it is clear that I do not have the support needed to become leader of the Liberal Party.”

Hastie said he would continue to campaign on issues including immigration and energy.

“I believe that those families and our country are best served by a strong Coalition government,” he said.

“I will continue to work every day to make my party the very best version of itself.”

Opposition leader Sussan Ley during Question Time at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 24 November 2025.
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley during Question Time at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 24 November 2025. (Alex Ellinghausen)

Hastie joined several of his Liberal colleagues, including Taylor, for a meeting yesterday before a memorial service for former colleague and federal MP Katie Allen in Melbourne.

The Liberal figures were meant to discuss the next steps at the gathering but were unable to resolve which of them might step up should Ley be convinced to step down.

Their mediator, Liberal frontbencher James Paterson, told ABC Radio he believed Ley still had the backing of her colleagues.

”In my assessment, Sussan continues to enjoy the support of the majorIty of the party room,” he said.

Shadow Treasurer Ted O’Brien and Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie echoed Paterson’s sentiments.

“I don’t believe there will be a challenge next week,” O’Brien said.

“I cannot see the spill motion getting up on Monday,” McKenzie said.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…
Haroula Kipouridou was working as a singer at a Greek tavern at the time of her murder.

Unveiling Justice: $1 Million Reward Offered in Chilling Cold Case Murder Investigation

A rare $1 million reward is being offered to help solve the…

Burke Announces Initiation of Procedures to Proscribe Islamist Organization Hizb ut-Tahrir

In brief Burke said his department had received advice from ASIO that…
Radical Islamist group closer to hate speech laws ban

Crackdown on Hate Speech: Islamist Group Faces Potential Ban

In a significant development, Australia’s Home Affairs Minister, Tony Burke, announced today…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…