Share this @internewscast.com


The New South Wales attorney-general has recommended another inquiry into the convictions of Kathleen Folbigg for killing her children after new scientific evidence emerged.

Mark Speakman said he would not be recommending a pardon to the NSW Governor because “it’s not appropriate against the backdrop of what has happened nor fairness and transparency”.

This decision comes despite a petition lodged by her legal team and a group of scientists.

Kathleen Folbigg appears via video link during a convictions inquiry at the NSW Coroners Court in 2019. (Supplied)

“It would be undermining confidence in the judicial process and our justice system if I, as a politician, recommend behind closed doors to the governor that there be a pardon,” Speakman said on Wednesday afternoon.

Speakman has instead recommended another inquiry into Folbigg’s conviction.

“I have opted to recommend a public inquiry. This is more likely to get to the bottom of the scientific evidence rather than an adversarial process before the court of criminal appeal,” he said.

NSW Attorney General Mark Speakman announces a new inquiry into convicted serial killer Kathleen Folbigg.
NSW Attorney General Mark Speakman announces a new inquiry into evidence around Folbigg’s conviction. (9News)

“There is no other option for some kind of renewed chance for Folbigg given the way this scientific evidence has emerged and the nature of the scientific evidence.”

Speakman apologised to Folbigg’s ex-husband for the inquiry and the “re-traumatisation” it could cause.

Folbigg was convicted of killing her three children Patrick, Sarah and Laura as well as the manslaughter of her firstborn Caleb, between 1989 to 1999.

The babies were aged between 19 days and 19 months.

Prosecutors argued that Folbigg smothered her children during periods of frustration and asserted that some of her diary entries were admissions of guilt.

Caleb, Patrick, Laura and Sarah Folbigg all died before their 2nd birthday.
Caleb, Patrick, Laura and Sarah Folbigg all died before their 2nd birthday. (Supplied)

A petition for the release of Folbigg was delivered in March last year to the NSW Governor Margaret Beazley.

The petition came about after 90 medical and scientific experts pushed for Folbigg to receive a full pardon and argued she is not responsible for the death of her four children.

Kathleen Folbigg leaving Maitland Court in 2004.
Kathleen Folbigg leaving Maitland Court in 2004. (Anita Jones/Nine)

All other appeals against her convictions have so far been denied and an inquiry in 2019 upheld her conviction.

Folbigg has maintained she is innocent and argues her children died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

She has been in a NSW jail since 2003.

A solicitor for Folbigg said last week she is “very confident” her client will be acquitted based on new genetic evidence.

Solicitor Rhanee Rego told Today a team of 27 scientists from all over the world tested a genetic mutation that is believed to have been passed on from Folbigg to her daughters.

“They concluded the genetic mutation is as lethal as other mutations known to kill children in the past,” Rego told Today.

“So, they submitted their research to a prestigious Oxford University journal and concluded this was the cause of the girls’ deaths. That is why we’re asking the Attorney- General to pardon Kathleen Folbigg.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Pro-Russian officials targeted in three assassination attempts in Kherson

US officials say a trio of assassination attempts targeting pro-Russian officials over…
Bec Hardgrave, who is from Brisbane, Queensland, took to TikTok on Thursday to share her experiences ordering meals in the US, and how much it differs from Down Under

Aussie traveller questions why American products require taxes and tips

An Australian health coach travelling abroad in America has detailed her disdain…

Anthony Albanese makes historic visit to war-torn Ukraine

Anthony Albanese has visited war-torn Ukraine, in a show of support for…

Monkeypox cases triple in Europe, WHO says

The World Health Organisation’s Europe chief has warned that monkeypox cases in…

Mass brawl breaks out on cruise ship dance floor

A mass brawl has broken out on a cruise ship heading into…
Red Hot Chili Peppers (pictured in 1990) have announced an Australian and New Zealand tour with American rapper Post Malone as a special guest

Red Hot Chili Peppers announce 2023 Australian tour with Post Malone

Red Hot Chili Peppers announce Australian tour in early 2023 with special…

Thousands of Sydneysiders prepare for flood evacuations; Albanese visits war-torn Ukraine; Several killed in Danish shooting

Residents from dozens of areas across western Sydney have been ordered to…
Travel agents turn on Qantas

Travel agents turn on Qantas

Phillip Adams, a columnist for The Weekend Australian magazine and ABC Radio…