Share this @internewscast.com
A crush at an aid center in southern Gaza resulted in at least 20 deaths on Wednesday. The site’s operator attributed the incident to “Hamas operatives” within the crowd, while the civil defense agency of the Palestinian territory blamed it on Israeli gunfire.
For the first time, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), supported by the United States and Israel, recognized fatalities at one of its distribution centers, following weeks of chaotic scenes and ongoing reports of Palestinians being killed nearby while waiting for aid.

AFP footage depicted lifeless bodies being taken to a nearby hospital in Khan Younis, some placed on the floor and others on beds already stained with blood.

Abdullah Alian, a witness, said that mayhem unfolded as the crowd of aid-seekers was hit with stun grenades and pepper spray.
“When they saw people starting to die on the ground and people on top of each other suffocating, they opened the gate and people started climbing on top of each other,” Alian said.
It was not clear whether he was referring to US contractors securing GHF sites, Israeli forces or another party.
Palestinian health officials told Reuters that 21 people had died of suffocation at the site.

One medic said lots of people had been crammed into a small space and had been crushed.

The latest deaths came as indirect negotiations between Israel and Hamas were ongoing, aiming to seal a deal for a 60-day ceasefire, the release of hostages held in Gaza and the unfettered flow of much-needed aid into the territory.

Hamas has accused Israel of intending to maintain long-term military control over Gaza—a significant issue in the ongoing talks, currently in their second week in Qatar.

Crowd crush

The GHF said that 19 of those killed on Wednesday “were trampled and one was stabbed amid a chaotic and dangerous surge”.

Spokesperson Chapin Fay later stated during a briefing that the tragic event was “instigated by armed Hamas operatives” and denied any use of tear gas or gunfire toward the crowd.

“Limited use of pepper spray was deployed only to protect against additional loss of life,” Fay said, adding that “warning shots were fired into the air at one point when GHF personnel identified that a child was being trampled”.
Gaza’s civil defence agency said at least 20 people were killed in the incident, blaming it on fire from Israeli troops.
Agency spokesman Mahmud Bassal told AFP that thousands had gathered at the site when “Israeli forces opened fire and used (tear) gas, causing panic and a stampede after aid centre guards closed the main gates in front of the hungry crowd”.
The Israeli military did not respond to a request for comment.
The GHF, an officially private effort, began operations in late May as Israel eased a two-month aid blockade that had sparked warnings of famine.
On Tuesday, the UN said it had recorded 875 people killed in Gaza while trying to get food since late May, including 674 “in the vicinity of GHF sites”.
Last week, UN rights office spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani told reporters that “most of the injuries are gunshot injuries”.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…

Surge in Labor Data Signals Imminent Interest Rate Hike: Expert Insights

In Brief Australia’s unemployment rate held steady at 4.1 per cent for…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…