Australia lifts ban on US beef imports
Share this @internewscast.com
Australia has lifted remaining bans on beef imports from the US as the ongoing battle to secure an exemption from Donald Trump’s tariff regime continues.

Employment Minister Amanda Rishworth confirmed on Today that a decade-long review into the imports of US beef had been completed.

“That review has been undertaken and the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry believe that there are the right controls in place in the US to lift that ban,” she said.

Imports of beef from the US will be permitted after a government review. (Getty)

“My understanding is that will be lifted as a result of a decade-long review.”

That source emphasised that Australia’s biosecurity would remain uncompromised by the change, a stance Rishworth also took.

Who will pay the price for Donald Trump's escalating trade war?
Donald Trump announces his global tariffs in April. (Nine)

“We are not we are not compromising on biosecurity. I need to make that very clear,” she said.

“We believe in free and fair trade. And our farmers very much benefit from being able to export their products right around the world.”

The revelation comes ahead of US President Donald Trump’s proclaimed August 1 deadline for increased blanket tariffs on imports to the US.

There are fears for Australia’s biosecurity. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Australia is currently subjected to a baseline 10 per cent tariff on all US exports, including beef, with a 50 per cent tariff on steel and aluminium.

Trump has also threatened to increase the tariff on imported pharmaceuticals to 200 per cent.

The baseline tariff could as much as double to 20 per cent on the August 1 deadline, Trump warned in recent weeks.

In April, when rolling out his “Liberation Day” tariff plan, Trump singled out Australian beef.

With a jump from a cliff, two men changed thrillseeking

“Australia bans – and they’re wonderful people, and wonderful everything – but they ban American beef,” he said then.

“Yet we imported $US3 billion of Australian beef from them just last year alone.

“They won’t take any of our beef.

“They don’t want it because they don’t want it to affect their farmers and you know, I don’t blame them but we’re doing the same thing right now starting at midnight tonight, I would say.”

A ban on beef imports from the US was put in place more than 20 years ago after an outbreak of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease, which can lead to fatal brain disease in humans.

The blanket ban was lifted in 2019 for cattle raised and slaughtered in the US, but remained for cattle that had been raised in Canda and Mexico, but slaughtered in and exported from the US.

It’s those latter bans which have now been lifted, after the review reportedly found the US had improved its tracking protocols.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe at Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…