Choice has revealed five out of 14 cots in its latest testing were found to have serious safety failures.
Share this @internewscast.com

A number of baby cots sold online in Australia have been found to have serious safety failures, a consumer watchdog report has claimed.

Five of the 14 cots tested by Choice failed basic safety requirements, including a lack of safety warning or strangulation hazards.

According to Choice, numerous cots that did not meet safety regulations were bought from online marketplace platforms like eBay and Baby Bunting Marketplace.

Choice has revealed five out of 14 cots in its latest testing were found to have serious safety failures.
Choice has revealed five out of 14 cots in its latest testing were found to have serious safety failures.(Choice)

“We found many cots from online retailers weren’t adhering to basic safety standard,” Choice household expert Chris Barnes said.

“Some cots had issues such as limb entrapment or strangulation hazards, lacked safety warnings, or were missing details on recommended mattress sizes, putting babies and toddlers at risk.”

The five cots that failed the tests were from five different companies, and their cost ranged from $139 too $370.

The cots in question included the Consol Roma cot ($229); the Grotime Haven cot ($139); Koko and Scar cot ($279); Luxo Baby Eudora cot ($249); and the Sweet Pea Anita cot ($370).

Australia will introduce rules and regulations on cot safety next year.

Barnes noted, “There is currently a legal gap that exempts online marketplaces from ensuring third-party products sold on their platforms are safe.”

“This highlights the need for robust product safety laws prohibiting the sale of unsafe products by all companies, regardless of the product type or seller.”

Baby Bunting stated that suppliers must show their products meet Australia’s mandatory safety standards, and one of the cots mentioned does comply with these standards.

“Before offering a cot for sale, we require that the supplier of the cot provide evidence that the product complies with the mandatory safety standard for household cots and AS/NZS 2172:2013,” a Baby Bunting spokesperson told 9news.com.au.

“We hold a current and recent test report that confirms that the Sweat Pea cot complies with the mandatory standard, including passing all tests required under that standard.”

An eBay Australia spokesperson said it was reviewing the Choice report: “eBay requires all sellers to comply with Australian product safety laws and does not allow items that are banned, recalled or have failed to meet Australian mandatory safety standards.

“Our team is reviewing the Choice report, and will take appropriate action on any cots that do not meet Australian safety requirements.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…

Melbourne Teen Succumbs to Injuries a Week After Tragic Vehicle Collision

An air ambulance team and a mobile intensive care unit equipped with…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…

Remembering Anna dePeyster: Life and Legacy of Rupert Murdoch’s Former Wife at 81

In brief Anna dePeyster, the former wife of media mogul Rupert Murdoch,…
rugby league Pixs taken at Telstra stadium at the match between CANTERBURY BULLDOGS and NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS. Pic shows..MATT UTAI SCORES Pixs

Charges Filed Against Suspected Gunmen in Former NRL Player Shooting Incident

Police have charged two people, including a 15-year-old, as the alleged gunmen…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…