Share this @internewscast.com
In a significant development, the Chinese ambassador has announced that a team of Chinese investigators will soon travel to Brisbane to collaborate with local authorities. This initiative is a response to a shocking incident that occurred over a year ago, involving a brutal assault on a baby using hot coffee.
The victim, Luka, who was just nine months old at the time, suffered devastating burns to his face, neck, and chest after a man allegedly doused him with scalding coffee from a thermos in August 2024. The severity of Luka’s injuries required him to undergo a series of at least eight surgeries, which included synthetic skin grafts, skin needling, and laser treatments to aid his recovery.
In a statement released last year, the Australian Federal Police disclosed that the alleged perpetrator had fled to China shortly after the attack took place in Brisbane’s Hanlon Park. The suspect has been identified but remains at large overseas.
On Wednesday, Xiao Qian, the Chinese ambassador to Australia, emphasized China’s commitment to resolving this matter and assured that they are actively cooperating with Australian officials. “There’s going to be a working group from China coming to Australia,” Ambassador Xiao informed reporters during a briefing at the Chinese Embassy in Canberra, demonstrating China’s serious approach to addressing this cross-border issue.

On Wednesday, Chinese ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian said China was “serious” about taking necessary action and was working with Australian authorities.
“There’s going to be a working group from China coming to Australia,” he told reporters at the Chinese Embassy in Canberra on Wednesday.
“Going to Brisbane to investigate, to talk with Australian colleagues to see what exactly happened, how it happened, and see what both sides can work together as a follow-up.”
The foreign national is currently protected from extradition under Chinese law.
However, Baby Luka’s family continues to advocate for justice.
In a statement provided to SBS News, Queensland Police said that alongside the AFP, authorities knew the alleged offender was in China and they were “working tirelessly” with international partners.
“The AFP is working jointly with Chinese authorities on appropriate options to take this matter forward,” the statement said.
“The AFP values the ongoing cooperation from Chinese authorities and their shared commitment to pursue all avenues for justice in light of the alleged offender’s location.
“China has extraterritorial jurisdiction to prosecute its citizens for conduct which occurs outside China.”
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.