Australian Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs.
Share this @internewscast.com

The Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) has experienced a data breach potentially impacting numerous individuals who submitted their complaints through its online form.

The AHRC first became aware of an “unauthorised disclosure” of about 670 documents uploaded to the complaint form online on April 10.

This is believed to have happened between March 24 and April 10.

Australian Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs.
Australian Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs. (Alex Ellinghausen)

It is estimated that approximately 100 of these documents were unintentionally made publicly accessible and indexed on search engines like Google or Bing from April 3 to May 10.

These documents included sensitive personal details such as full names, email and residential addresses, mobile numbers, employers and job titles, work contact details, personal health data, education details, religious affiliations, and photos.

Last week, the AHRC learnt that documents uploaded online for the AHRC’s Speaking from Experience project, Human Rights Awards 2023 nominations and the National Anti-Racism Framework concept paper had also been breached between April 3 and May 5. 

The AHRC is unable to confirm just how many people have been affected.

“The Commission acted to address the breach as soon as it came to our attention. We sincerely apologise for any distress or harm this data breach may have caused,” it said.

The AHRC said the disclosure was not the result of a malicious or criminal attack.

A taskforce has been established to investigate the breach and prevent any further access to the affected documents. 

All online forms have been disabled in the meantime, with complainants advised to fill out a PDF or Microsoft Word version of the form and return it to the AHRC by email or post.

“We have treated this data breach with the highest level of concern and are carrying out a thorough and comprehensive investigation and review of the impacted data, with the support of our experts,” the AHRC said.

”We have taken action to address the disclosure including having relevant documents removed from search engines.”

The AHRC believes the breach affected anyone who:

  • Made a complaint that included attachments using the online form between March 24 and April 10
  • Made a submission to the Speaking from Experience project using the online form between March 2024 to September 2024
  • Made a nomination to the Human Rights Awards 2023 using the online form between July 3, 2023, to September 4, 2023
  • Made a submission to the National Anti-Racism Framework concept paper using the online form between October 2021 to February 2022

The AHRC will notify those who are affected.

Anyone who believes they have been affected can also contact the AHRC. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Miraculous Escape: Survivor Shares Harrowing Tale from Devastating Hong Kong Fire

Just after 3 p.m., William Li received a startling call from his…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…

Airbus A320 Recall Alert: Key Details and Implications for Airlines and Passengers

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…