Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke arrives for Question Time at Parliament House in Canberra on Thursday 28 August 2025. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
Share this @internewscast.com

Hundreds of criminals born overseas who were previously released into the Australian community due to a significant High Court ruling will be relocated to Nauru. This follows a $400 million agreement signed by Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke with the Pacific island nation.

In a statement on Home Affairs’ website, it was revealed that Burke met with Nauru’s President David Adeang and his cabinet to formalize an agreement. This memorandum of understanding allows Nauru to accept individuals from the NZYQ group.

Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke arrives for Question Time at Parliament House in Canberra on Thursday 28 August 2025. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke signed a $400 million deal with the Pacific Island Nation. (Alex Ellinghausen)

The group, including convicted murderers and paedophiles, where released into the community after refusing to be deported to their home countries.

Burke’s office published just two lines from the Minister about the agreement to deport the released detainees.

“Anyone who doesn’t have a valid visa should leave the country,” he said.

“This is a fundamental element of a functioning visa system.”

The agreement states that Nauru will provide long-term residence to those who have no legal right to stay in Australia, the minister’s office said.

Nauru island: the entire country seen from above - Island surrounded by the coral reef - the oval island has a narrow coastal belt where settlements are located, the interior known as 'topside' is  a barren plateau of jagged limestone pinnacles due to the environmental damage caused by phosphate mining - Yaren and the airport on the left - South Pacific Ocean.
The Minister’s office said the agreement states that long-term residence of people who have no legal right to stay in Australia will be deported to Nauru. (Getty)

It will continue to apply to all detainees who fall under the NZYQ cohort, the statement says.

On Friday, Nauru’s parliament’s session revealed that Australia committed $408 million upfront to the island nation as part of the agreement, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Australia will also pay $70 million to the nation annually to cover the ongoing cost’s of the resettlement.

The agreement will be officially activated when the first detainees arrive in Nauru.

The agreement will be officially activated when the first detainee's arrive in Nauru.
The agreement will be officially activated when the first detainee’s arrive in Nauru. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

The NZYQ group includes the 350 foreign-born criminals who were freed after the High Court decision in November 2023, which declared that non-citizens could not be held indefinitely without a removal plan.

This development follows recent criticism aimed at Burke for hastily enacting laws that limit the legal rights of foreign-born criminals during deportation proceedings to a third country. Burke stated in federal parliament on Tuesday that while procedural fairness is crucial in decision-making, these legal provisions are being exploited by non-citizens to obstruct their deportation.

The move has faced backlash from the Greens and human rights groups, who say the agreement is cruel.

Share this @internewscast.com