Israel says it has targeted Hamas leadership in Qatar as blast heard
Share this @internewscast.com
Israel has carried out a strike on Hamas’ leadership in Qatar, officials report, escalating its efforts against the militant group as peace talks to conclude the war in the Gaza Strip appear to have stalled ahead of a new military campaign there.

Thick black smoke was seen rising over Doha, the capital of Qatar, where authorities acknowledged the strike on Tuesday.

It wasn’t immediately clear if anyone was hurt in the attack, marking the second time the energy-rich nation has been directly attacked in the nearly two years of war that have gripped the wider Middle East since Hamas’ attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023.
Smoke rises from an explosion allegedly caused by an Israeli strike, in Doha, Qatar, on Tuesday, September 9, 2025. (UGC via AP)

The method of the attack wasn’t immediately clarified, though Israeli military representative Colonel Avichay Adraee mentioned the involvement of Israel’s air force.

Qatar Airways planes continued landing in Doha amid the strike, even as at least one Qatari air force aircraft took off on patrol over the country.

Throughout the conflict, Israeli officials have given mixed signals, relying on Qatari mediation while questioning its commitment to pressuring Hamas.

Post-strike, Israel’s military issued a statement not specifically naming Qatar but blaming Hamas’ leaders for the “brutal October 7th massacre,” and accused them of directing the war against Israel.

The Israelis claimed the use of “precise munitions and additional intelligence” in their attack, without further details. An Israeli official, speaking anonymously to The Associated Press, confirmed the targeting of Hamas in Qatar.

Qatar condemned what it referred to as a “cowardly Israeli attack” on Hamas’ political headquarters in Doha.

Doha city view. Qatar.
An Israeli official has told The Associated Press that it targeted Hamas’ leadership in Qatar’s capital, Doha. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari called it a “flagrant violation of all international laws and norms”.

“[Qatar] asserts that it will not tolerate such reckless Israeli actions, which disrupt regional security, nor any act that threatens its own security and sovereignty,” al-Ansari emphasized.

The US Embassy in Qatar said that it had “instituted a shelter-in-place order for their facilities”.

“US citizens are advised to shelter-in-place,” it added.

Qatar twice attacked during Middle East wars

Flights from Australia were affected by the closure of airspace after that attack, which Qatar condemned but said it successfully intercepted the missiles.

In this frame-grab made from video, missiles and air-defence interceptors illuminate the night sky over Doha after Iran launched an attack on US forces at Al Udeid Air Base on June 23, 2025 in Doha.
In this frame-grab made from video, missiles and air-defence interceptors illuminate the night sky over Doha after Iran launched an attack on US forces at Al Udeid Air Base on June 23, 2025 in Doha. (Getty)

Earlier this week, US President Donald Trump said that he was giving his “last warning” to Hamas regarding a possible ceasefire, as Arab officials described a new US proposal.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Tuesday it was his nation’s decision to carry out the strike.

“Israel initiated it, Israel conducted it and Israel takes full responsibility,” Netanyahu said in a statement.

It remains unclear what regional reaction will come from the strike. Immediately afterward, Emirati Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan wrote online: “Full solidarity with our dear Qatar”.

That comes as the United Arab Emirates already has warned Israel its possible annexation of the West Bank threatened the Abraham Accords, an agreement by which Abu Dhabi normalised relations with Israel five years ago.

Arab officials say there is a new US proposal for a ceasefire. A senior Hamas official called it a “humiliating surrender document” but the militant group said that it would discuss the proposal and respond within days.

The proposal, presented by Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, calls for a negotiated end of the war and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza once the hostages are released and a ceasefire is established, according to Egyptian and Hamas officials familiar with the talks, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to discuss the closed-door discussions.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Remembering Anna dePeyster: Life and Legacy of Rupert Murdoch’s Former Wife at 81

In brief Anna dePeyster, the former wife of media mogul Rupert Murdoch,…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…