Luigi Mangione is escorted into Manhattan state court in New York
Share this @internewscast.com
Luigi Mangione will not face the death penalty for allegedly killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in December 2024, a federal district judge ruled on Friday, dealing a blow to US prosecutors who were adamant about pursuing the ultimate sentence.

The judge has thrown out the murder charge against the 27-year-old that could have led to a death penalty sentence in his federal case. This decision hinges on the requirement that the murder must occur during another “crime of violence.”

Prosecutors had accused the defendant of committing other violent acts, specifically two stalking charges. They claimed that Mangione stalked Thompson online and crossed state borders to execute the killing.

Luigi Mangione is escorted into Manhattan state court in New York
Luigi Mangione is escorted into Manhattan state court in New York (AP)

However, the judge did not agree, ruling that the stalking charges did not constitute “crimes of violence.” As a result, two counts in Mangione’s federal case, including the murder charge and a related firearm offense, were dismissed.

Judge Margaret Garnett noted in her decision, “The analysis contained in the balance of this Opinion may strike the average person — and indeed many lawyers and judges — as tortured and strange, and the result may seem contrary to our intuitions about the criminal law.”

She emphasized, “But it represents the Court’s committed effort to faithfully apply the dictates of the Supreme Court to the charges in this case.”

This ruling is a significant victory for Mangione and his legal team, who had been actively seeking to avoid a death penalty sentence. It is also likely to energize his supporters, who view him as a symbol of their frustration with the American healthcare system.

Luigi Mangione, center, appears in court for an evidence hearing, Monday, Dec. 1, 2025, in New York. (Steven Hirsch/New York Post via AP, Pool) (AP)

In court Friday, an assistant US attorney indicated he did not yet know whether the Justice Department would appeal the judge’s ruling on the death penalty. Judge Garnett asked for an update by February 27.

Garnett denied as moot the defence’s other motions regarding the death penalty. She said the only motion that may still be relevant in a non-capital case is regarding pre-trial publicity. She suggested the defence “table that for now” until prosecutors make a decision on appealing, and then they can renew that motion with a new brief at a later time.

The murder charge was the only count in any of the cases brought against Mangione that could have carried a possible death sentence. He will still face two counts of stalking in the federal case. If convicted, those counts have a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole.

UnitedHealthcare chief executive officer Brian Thompson.
UnitedHealthcare chief executive officer Brian Thompson. (AP)

Mangione also faces a second-degree murder count and other charges in a separate case in New York state, where the death penalty is unconstitutional. If convicted of the highest charges in the state case, Mangione could face a sentence of 25 years to life.

Mangione also faces counts related to his arrest in a state case in Pennsylvania that are not death penalty eligible. He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

US Attorney General Pam Bondi announced she had directed the Justice Department to pursue the death penalty in April 2025, calling the killing “a premeditated, cold-blooded assassination that shocked America.”

Judge Margaret Garnett also ruled on Friday to allow into Mangione’s trial evidence recovered from his backpack at the time of his arrest.

Law enforcement seized several items from Mangione’s backpack, including a handgun, a loaded magazine and a red notebook – key pieces of evidence that authorities have said tie him to the killing.

The recovered gun is consistent with the firearm used to kill Thompson, federal authorities said in court filings. Some of the handwritten entries in the notebook “express hostility towards the health insurance industry and wealthy executives in particular,” they wrote.

Mangione’s attorneys had argued for the evidence to be barred from trial, contending the search of their client’s backpack was illegal because they had not yet obtained a warrant and there was no immediate threat to justify a warrantless search.

Federal prosecutors have argued in court filings that officials had a right to go through Mangione’s possessions as part of routine arrest procedures and to search for any weapons that could be a safety threat.

Prosecutors have also said the evidence should be permitted since it would have inevitably been discovered legally during the course of the investigation.

Jury selection for the federal trial is scheduled to begin on September 8, with opening statements starting on October 13.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…
Melonie Mckay was run over in her own driveway after allegedly getting into an argument with her neighbour.

Grandmother’s Tragic Death: Man Faces Murder Charges in Alleged Hit-and-Run

A man has been charged with murder after allegedly running over his…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…