Promising footy player's mum says killer driver's sentence not enough
Share this @internewscast.com
West Australian teen Nick Campo’s mother is disappointed her son’s killer driver has been sentenced to just three years and two months behind bars.

A judge today found the 17-year-old driver, who can’t be named, was encouraged to speed by his passengers, saying they were all morally responsible for the tragedy.

Nick had just made it to adulthood but a high-speed crash while celebrating his 18th birthday ended it all. 

A teenager who was behind the wheel of a car in a crash that killed talented footballer Nick Campo in Perth has had his charges upgraded.
(9News)
Bianca Campo says the sentence for the driver convicted of the manslaughter of her son, Nick Campo, isn’t enough (9News)

“Nick was a really good kid and he was very much loved by all of us,” mother Bianca Campo said, outside court.

Nick and some mates were catching a lift to a nightclub when the ute they were in collided with a Jeep in North Lake last July.

The promising footy player was killed instantly and three other passengers were seriously injured. 

“It’s something we have to live with everyday for the rest of our lives,” Bianca said.

“We’ve been quite broken.”

The 17-year-old driver was today jailed for two years and seven months for Nick’s manslaughter, plus an extra eight-month term for the combined dangerous driving charges. With time served, he could walk free as early as mid next year. 

Promising footy player Nick Campo was killed instantly and three other passengers were seriously injured. (9News)

“We don’t feel it was enough and I really don’t think it sets a good example for young people,” Bianca said

There were five boys in the Toyota Hilux and four of them, including the driver, had snorted cocaine. 

The judge also found the P-plater was being encouraged to drive recklessly, racing to beat the club’s midnight lockout. 

His ute had been dangerously modified, with the front passenger seat facing backwards, and only two seat belts, including his own, working. 

There were five boys in the Toyota Hilux and four of them, including the driver, had snorted cocaine.  (9News)

“Please just make sure your kids know to do the right thing when they get into cars because this is like a pain that’s unbearable, it really is,” Nick’s mum said.

Children’s Court president Hylton Quail said although the legal consequences fell on the driver alone, the moral responsibility of the tragedy was shared by everyone who got in the car. 

“As his honour described in the sentencing, there are no winners here,” defence counsel Michael Tudori said.

Nick’s parents are now on a mission to educate young drivers in their boy’s honour.

“It’s something no one could understand until you’ve had to live it and I really feel for people who have to go through this,” Bianca said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…
Radical Islamist group closer to hate speech laws ban

Crackdown on Hate Speech: Islamist Group Faces Potential Ban

In a significant development, Australia’s Home Affairs Minister, Tony Burke, announced today…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Ocean swimmers head into the water at Coogee in Sydney as the sun shines on the water.

Australia Braces for Scorching Autumn: Anticipating Intense Heat and Drought Conditions

Australia will sweat through a dry, hot autumn as long-range forecasts show…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…