Share this @internewscast.com
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been freed after a Paris court ruled he could be released while he appeals against his conviction for conspiring to raise funds from Libya.
Sarkozy was sent to prison on 21 October after he was found guilty in September of criminal conspiracy over efforts by close aides to procure funds for his 2007 presidential bid from late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The former conservative leader, who was president from 2007 to 2012, told the court that being in jail had been tough.

Upon his return home on Monday, he took to X to express that “truth will eventually triumph,” underscoring a life lesson he holds dear.

He mentioned that his attention would now shift to the appeals process, noting that “the conclusion to this narrative is yet to be determined.”

Sarkozy’s five-year prison sentence was implemented without delay, due to what judges described in September as the “exceptional gravity” of his offense. His confinement at La Sante prison in Paris marked a dramatic downfall for the former French president.

The court said he did not represent a flight risk and therefore did not have to remain in prison until his appeal.
His release was based on specific criteria, such as whether there was a risk he could flee, and is no indication of whether his appeal is likely to succeed.
“Vive la liberte” (Long live freedom), Sarkozy’s youngest son, Louis, posted on his X account with a childhood photo of himself smiling alongside his father.

Tune in to explore

But the public prosecutor on Monday recommended that Sarkozy be freed pending his appeal of the guilty verdict.

The court agreed to release him under judicial supervision, which includes a ban on leaving France and a ban on talking to any justice ministry official.

Prison is draining, Sarkozy says

Sarkozy has consistently denied wrongdoing, calling himself a victim of revenge and hatred. He did not attend Monday’s hearing in person but was taking part via video link from prison.
He told the court he would respect any demand from the judiciary if he were freed.
“I’m French, sir. I love my country. I’m fighting for the truth to prevail. I will comply with all the obligations imposed on me, as I always have,” he said.

Speaking of being in jail, he added: “It’s tough. Really tough — as it must be for any detainee. I’d even say it’s draining.”

Sarkozy has faced several legal battles since leaving office.
Last year, France’s highest court upheld a conviction for corruption and influence peddling, ordering him to wear an electronic tag for a year, a first for a former French head of state. The tag has now been removed.
Also last year, an appeals court confirmed a separate conviction for illegal campaign financing over his failed re-election bid in 2012. A final ruling from France’s highest court is expected on that case this month.
Sarkozy is also under formal investigation in another case for being an accessory to witness tampering.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…

Remembering Anna dePeyster: Life and Legacy of Rupert Murdoch’s Former Wife at 81

In brief Anna dePeyster, the former wife of media mogul Rupert Murdoch,…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…
rugby league Pixs taken at Telstra stadium at the match between CANTERBURY BULLDOGS and NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS. Pic shows..MATT UTAI SCORES Pixs

Charges Filed Against Suspected Gunmen in Former NRL Player Shooting Incident

Police have charged two people, including a 15-year-old, as the alleged gunmen…
Six orcas were filmed viciously killing a great white shark off South Australia's Neptune Islands in 2015.

Groundbreaking Study Reveals True Reasons Behind Shark Exodus from Australian Islands

After six orcas were filmed viciously killing a great white shark off…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…