Share this @internewscast.com
Key Points
  • No aid has yet reached civilians in Gaza despite Israel allowing a handful of deliveries after an 11-week blockade.
  • The UN aid chief has warned 14,000 babies are at risk of dying within 48 hours without urgent aid.
  • The UN was later asked about this number – and said there were babies in need of care.
No aid has yet been distributed in the Gaza Strip, the United Nations said a day after Israel allowed limited humanitarian deliveries to resume after an 11-week blockade on the Palestinian enclave, where experts warn famine now looms.
UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said four trucks of baby food were dropped off on the Palestinian side of the border on Tuesday AEST, and that a few dozen trucks of flour, medicine, nutrition supplies and other basic items have also entered Gaza.
“Israeli authorities are requiring us to offload supplies on the Palestinian side of Kerem Shalom crossing and reload them separately once they secure our team’s access from inside the Gaza Strip,” Dujarric told reporters.

“Today, one of our teams waited several hours for the Israeli green light to access the Kerem Shalom area and collect the nutrition supplies. Unfortunately, they were not able to bring those supplies into our warehouse.”

Earlier on Tuesday, a spokesperson for the UN humanitarian office in Geneva said Israel had given permission for about 100 aid trucks to enter Gaza.
UN aid chief Tom Fletcher said the initial amount of aid approved by Israel was “a drop in the ocean”.
“There are 14,000 babies that will die in the next 48 hours unless we can reach them,” he told the BBC.
The number appears to reflect a report from the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) which stated 14,100 severe cases of acute malnutrition could occur in children between April 2025 and March 2026.
Israel has said its blockade is aimed in part at preventing Palestinian militants from diverting and seizing aid supplies. Hamas has denied doing so.

Earlier this week, Israel started an expanded ground assault on Gaza, aimed at destroying Hamas and seizing the entirety of Gaza, which has been devastated by an Israeli air and ground war since Hamas’ cross-border attack on Israel in October 2023.

International community again demands end to Gaza war, as Israel aims to conquer the strip image

How has the international community responded?

Australia has joined 22 international counterparts to demand Israel allow the full resumption of aid in Gaza to avoid widespread starvation.
United Kingdom Prime Minister Keir Starmer told parliament he, along with the leaders of France and Canada, were “horrified” by Israel’s military escalation, repeating calls for a ceasefire.
Earlier this week, the three nations had warned of “concrete actions” against Israel if it did not stop military operations in Gaza and lift restrictions on aid.
A day later, UK foreign minister David Lammy announced the suspension of negotiations over a new free trade deal with Israel, saying Israel’s cabinet ministers’ calls to “purify Gaza” by expelling Palestinians were repellent, monstrous and extremist.

In addition to suspending trade talks, the UK government also summoned Israel’s ambassador and announced sanctions against a number of persons and groups in the Israeli-occupied West Bank over alleged violence against Palestinian residents.

A United States-backed group plans to start work in the Gaza Strip by the end of May, overseeing a new model of aid distribution in the Palestinian enclave. But the UN says the plan is not impartial or neutral, and it will not be involved.
Malnutrition rates in the densely populated territory have risen during the Israeli blockade and could worsen if food shortages continue, a health official at the UN Palestinian refugee agency UNRWA said in Geneva.
Akihiro Seita, UNRWA director of health, said: “I have data until [the] end of April and it shows malnutrition on the rise.”
“And then the worry is that if the current food shortage continues, it will exponentially increase, and then get beyond our control.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…

From Private Messages to Wedding Bells: The Rabbitohs Love Story Behind Australia’s ‘Royal Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions: What It Means for Global Relations

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Heartwarming Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…
Hanson addresses immigration rally in Melbourne

Breaking News: Hanson Speaks Out at Melbourne Rally – Unveiling Her Stance on Immigration

Pauline Hanson, the leader of One Nation, recently led an anti-immigration protest,…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…
Award-winning British playwright dead at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his witty and thought-provoking works,…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…