Ex-Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Josh Klinghoffer avoids jail for vehicular manslaughter charge
Share this @internewscast.com

Former Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Josh Klinghoffer accepted a plea deal to avoid jail time for accidentally killing a pedestrian in California last year.

Klinghoffer, 45, pleaded no contest to misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter without gross negligence in an Alhambra courtroom on Wednesday, as reported by Rolling Stone.

Klinghoffer, who was facing a year in jail, was sentenced to a year of informal probation and 60 days of community labor for running over and killing 47-year-old Israel Sanchez with his 2022 GMC Yukon on March 18, 2024, in the Los Angeles suburb of Alhambra.

Sanchez was transported to a local area hospital and declared dead later that day. Officials ruled his cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the head. 

Los Angeles County Judge Rosa Fregoso also sentenced Klinghoffer to complete a driver safety class and pay restitution to Sanchez’s family, which will be determined at a later date, according to Rolling Stone.

Following Klinghoffer’s plea, a prosecutor warned him of the dangers of distracted driving and said he could be charged with murder if he killed someone again.

Sanchez’s daughter, Ashley Sanchez, was in tears as she read a victim impact statement about how her father was “the heart” of her family.

“My father was an extraordinary grandfather to my [children],” the heartbroken daughter told the court, according to Rolling Stone. “His absence has left an irreversible void in our lives.”

After praising her father as an extraordinary cook and painter with a “unique gift for soothing” the ones he loved with his meals and art, she addressed Klinghoffer directly.

She told the rocker her father’s death was an “avoidable loss that has shaken my family,” and his irresponsible actions have left her and others with “deep and lasting trauma.”

A wrongful death suit filed by Sanchez’s family in July against Klinghoffer alleges the musician was using a cell phone and driving a car with no plates when the accident took place.

The lawsuit also claims that there is video evidence suggesting Klinghoffer “was likely driving while distracted,” was using “a device mere seconds before,” and “made no braking or slowing motion until after he fatally struck” Sanchez.

However, police have determined that Klinghoffer was not using a cell phone at the time of the accident.

Video of the accident, obtained by TMZ, shows the black SUV making a left turn at the intersection of West Main Street and Meridian Avenue and then striking Sanchez.

The driver of the SUV was seen pulling over, walking over to the body, turning around, and quickly walking back to the car.

A judge denied the family’s renewed attempt to seek damages in the lawsuit in January, according to Rolling Stone.

The judge ruled that the claims against the guitarist’s actions were not “willful and conscious disregard” for the safety of others around him when he hit and killed Sanchez.

Klinghoffer has been a staple in the alt-rock world since the late aughts, joining The Red Hot Chili Peppers as a guitarist in 2009 following the departure of his friend, John Frusciante, from the band.

In 2012, Klinghoffer was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame alongside the band, which made him the youngest inductee at 32 years old.

During his time with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, he recorded two studio albums, I’m with You (2011) and The Getaway (2016).

In 2019, Frusciante returned, and Klinghoffer was let go from the band. 

Klinghoffer has recently toured with Pearl Jam as a supplemental musician and contributed to the group’s most recent album, “Dark Matter.”

He also releases his own music under the pseudonym Pluralone.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Trump Hosts Inaugural 'Board of Peace' Meeting, Announces $10 Billion U.S. Contribution

Trump’s $10 Billion Peace Initiative: Unveiling the Groundbreaking ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting

On Thursday morning, President Trump convened the first meeting of the Board…
President Trump says an Iran attack decision likely 'over the next, probably 10 days'

Trump Anticipates Decision on Potential Iran Strike Within 10 Days

President Donald Trump has announced he is on the verge of deciding…
FBI desperate to take over Nancy Guthrie case from 'ego tripping' Sheriff Chris Nanos

FBI Seeks Control of Nancy Guthrie Investigation Amid Tensions with Sheriff Chris Nanos

In Tucson, Arizona, the search for 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, the mother of…
American tourist killed in Thailand as love triangle turns deadly during violent confrontation: police

Tragic Love Triangle in Thailand: American Tourist’s Fatal Encounter Shocks Nation

An American man lost his life in Thailand, caught in what officials…
Beverly Hills "squatter" Rita Ortiz evicted after $570M lien scheme

Beverly Hills Scandal: Rita Ortiz’s $570M Lien Scheme Ends in Eviction

A businesswoman from Beverly Hills, accused of attempting to defraud Los Angeles…
UK condemns 10-year espionage sentence for British couple in Iran

UK Criticizes Iran’s 10-Year Prison Sentence for British Couple Accused of Espionage

LONDON, Feb 19 (Reuters) – On Thursday, British Foreign Minister Yvette Cooper…
Trump offers fiery defense of tariffs as Supreme Court prepares to rule on his agenda

Trump Advocates Strongly for Tariffs Ahead of Upcoming Supreme Court Decision on Policy Agenda

At a lively campaign rally in Georgia, President Trump staunchly defended his…
President Donald Trump says he doesn't know if aliens are real but directs government to release files on UFOs and more

Trump Orders Release of UFO Files Amid Uncertainty on Alien Existence

WASHINGTON — In response to growing public curiosity, President Donald Trump announced…
Repeat offender labeled 'danger to the community' walks free after Biden autopen clemency

Serial Offender Released After Clemency Approval Sparks Community Concerns

In an unexpected turn of events, a repeat offender, once labeled by…
Trump admin develops 'Freedom.gov' portal for Europeans, others to access banned content

Trump Administration Launches ‘Freedom.gov’ Portal for Europeans to Access Restricted Content

WASHINGTON — The State Department is in the process of creating a…
Chicago Bears news today: Indiana lawmakers focus on Hammond as potential Bears stadium site

Indiana’s Bold Play: Hammond Emerges as Top Contender for New Chicago Bears Stadium

CHICAGO (WLS) — In a fresh development, the Chicago Bears have issued…
Chicago tax attorney Adam Beckerink, accused of murdering wife Caitlin Tracey at South Loop condo, pleads not guilty

Chicago Tax Attorney Adam Beckerink Pleads Not Guilty in High-Profile South Loop Condo Murder Case

In a gripping courtroom scene this past Thursday, a Chicago tax attorney…