Share this @internewscast.com

Seven young men and teenagers have been arrested over the high-profile stabbing deaths of two children in Melbourne earlier this month.
Chol Achiek, 12, and Dau Akueng, 15, died after being attacked while walking home at Cobblebank in Melbourne’s outer north-west on 6 September.
The pair were ambushed by masked males armed with machetes and other bladed weapons.
Another boy, who was walking with the victims after the group watched a basketball game together, managed to escape.

Authorities conducted raids on Thursday morning at locations in Melton South, Thornhill Park, Caroline Springs, Sunbury, Wollert, Hillside, and Sydenham, leading to the apprehension of seven males.

A 19-year-old Thornhill Park man, a 19-year-old Caroline Springs man and an 18-year-old Wollert man were among those arrested.
Three 16-year-old boys and a 15-year-old boy, all from the north-western suburbs of Melbourne, were also arrested.

Charges are yet to be laid against any of the teens. All seven will be interviewed by Victoria Police detectives.

‘It doesn’t make sense’

Assistant commissioner Martin O’Brien said the arrests followed almost two weeks of diligent and thorough police work.
“The word senseless has been used so many times already in relation to the deaths of Dau Akueng and Chol Achiek, because the reality is that it doesn’t make sense,” he said.
“Two children walking home after playing sport, who should have had decades of their lives ahead of them.
“Instead, their devastated families are grieving their loss and all the things they will never get to see two children grow up to achieve and experience.”

A GoFundMe page created following the deaths mentioned that Dau was raised in the apartments around Fitzroy and Collingwood, where he participated in and officiated games for the Collingwood Basketball Association.

He also played for the Wolfpack Basketball Club after his family moved to the city’s outer west, while Chol was a member of the Nile Warriors Basketball Club.
Chol’s father, Chuti Ngong, told mourners at a vigil his son was a peaceful boy who was loved by everybody.
The impact of the deaths of the boys has been felt right across the Victorian community, police said.
“I know many people will be feeling shocked, frustrated and concerned in light of this matter,” O’Brien said.
“I want to reassure you that locally, police will have increased patrols in the area and are working closely with community groups.”
The Victorian government reconvened a South Sudanese Australian youth justice expert working group in response to the deaths.
The arrests were a “good thing” after almost two weeks of “excruciating pain” for the victim’s families, Victorian minister Lily D’Ambrosio said.
“This has absolutely been a heartbreaking chapter,” she told reporters.
Opposition police spokesperson David Southwick said the boys’ deaths should never have happened.
“(The families) need closure and the sooner that those individuals who were responsible for this face the full force of the law, the better I think it is for everybody,” he said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
No one could escape these two words for weeks. Now Aussies are opting out

Aussies Opt Out of Viral Two-Word Craze Dominating Conversations for Weeks

Exclusive Insight: The phrase “Black Friday” has been ubiquitous, filling email inboxes…

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon after getting married today in Canberra.

Inside the Secret Wedding of Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon at The Lodge: Exclusive Details Revealed

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has married long-time partner Jodie Haydon in an…
Remembering Virginia Giuffre: The woman who helped bring down Jeffery Epstein

Virginia Giuffre’s Modest Estate Details Emerge Amid Ongoing Court Battle

A legal dispute concerning the estate of Virginia Giuffre, known for accusing…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…

Iran Accuses Australia of Collusion with Israel Over IRGC Terror Designation: A Diplomatic Clash Unfolds

Iran has expressed “disgust” at Australia’s formal designation of the Islamic Revolutionary…
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…