'Time is running out': Trump sending 'massive armada' to Iran
Share this @internewscast.com
Iranian officials have reached out to the wider Middle East over the threat of a possible US military strike on the country, as the value of Iran’s currency reaches a new low a month since the start of protests that spread nationwide and sparked a bloody crackdown.
Two nations, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, have signalled they won’t allow their airspace to be used for any attack. But America has moved the USS Abraham Lincoln and several guided missile destroyers, which can be used to launch attacks from the sea, into the region.

Iran’s currency, the rial, has plummeted to an all-time low, reaching 1,600,000 to the US dollar ($1.43), as reported by local traders. Earlier in the week, the rate had already fallen to 1,500,000 rials per US dollar. The nation’s economic difficulties have fueled protests that have escalated into a broader challenge against the ruling theocracy.

A Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet landing on the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln in the Indian Ocean on January 22, 2026. (Daniel Kimmelman/US Navy via AP))

The future actions of US President Donald Trump regarding military intervention remain uncertain. However, he has clearly stated two conditions that could prompt force: the killing of peaceful protesters and the potential mass execution of detainees. According to activists, at least 6,221 people have died as the Iranian government has violently suppressed the protests, with fears of additional casualties.

Trump expressed his hopes for negotiation via his Truth Social platform, stating, “Hopefully Iran will quickly ‘Come to the Table’ and negotiate a fair and equitable deal—NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS—one that is good for all parties.” He emphasized the urgency, adding, “Time is running out, it is truly of the essence!”

Referring to the June attacks on Iran, which occurred as the US became involved in Israel’s 12-day conflict with the Islamic Republic, Trump warned, “The next attack will be far worse!”

He also declared, “A massive Armada is heading to Iran. It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” highlighting the potential for increased military presence and action in the region.

“A massive Armada is heading to Iran. It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” Trump said.

“It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela.

People walk along the footpath in northern Tehran, Iran, on Tuesday, January 27, 2026. ( Photo/Vahid Salemi)

“Like with Venezuela, it is, ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

Iran’s mission to the UN was quick to respond to Trump, posting on X that “Iran stands ready for dialogue based on mutual respect and interests—BUT IF PUSHED, IT WILL DEFEND ITSELF AND RESPOND LIKE NEVER BEFORE!”

Iran’s state-run media, which now only refers to protesters as “terrorists”, remains the sole source of news for many as Tehran cut off access to the global internet some three weeks ago. But Iranians have become angry and anxious, seeing footage of protesters shot and killed while worrying about what may happen next as the economy — the original focus of the protests — sinks further.

“I feel that my generation failed to give a better lesson to younger ones,” said Mohammad Heidari, a 59-year-old teacher in Tehran.

“The result of decades of teaching by my colleagues and me led to death of thousands, and maybe more injured and prisoners.”

Women walk past the Tajrish bazaar in northern Tehran, Iran, on Tuesday, January 27, 2026. ( Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Rapid diplomacy between Iran, Arab nations

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said its top diplomat, Badr Abdelatty, separately spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff to “work toward achieving calm, in order to avoid the region slipping into new cycles of instability”.

The statement offered no details, though Iranian state media quoted Araghchi as saying third-party mediators had been in touch. Witkoff, a billionaire real estate developer and Trump’s friend, had earlier negotiated over Iran’s nuclear program. There was no immediate acknowledgement from the White House of the call.

The Turkish foreign minister also spoke by phone with Araghchi about reducing regional tensions. Turkish officials have expressed concern that intervention in Iran could spark instability or trigger a refugee influx.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman held a call with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, saying the kingdom would “not allow its airspace or territory to be used for any military actions against Iran or for any attacks from any party, regardless of their origin”. That follows a similar pledge by the UAE.

People walk through the Tajrish bazaar market in northern Tehran, Iran, on Tuesday, January 27, 2026. ( Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Both Saudi Arabia and the UAE host US air assets and troops. Both also have faced attacks in the last decade. A 2019 assault believed by the West to have been carried out by Iran briefly halved Saudi oil production. The UAE faced several attacks claimed by Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels in 2022.

However, America’s biggest base in the region is Qatar’s vast Al Udeid Air Base, which serves as the forward operating headquarters of the US military’s Central Command. Both Araghchi and Ali Larijani, a top Iranian security official, held calls with Qatar’s Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani. Qatar acknowledged the calls but offered few specifics on what was discussed.

Iran attacked Al Udeid in June in response to Trump sending American warplanes to bomb Iranian nuclear enrichment sites during the war last year.

“Our position is exactly this: Applying diplomacy through military threats cannot be effective or constructive,” Araghchi told journalists Wednesday outside of a Cabinet meeting.

“If they want negotiations to take shape, they must abandon threats, excessive demands and the raising of illogical issues. Negotiations have their own principles: They must be conducted on an equal footing, based on mutual respect, and for mutual benefit.”

The USS Abraham Lincoln carrier and a US Air Force B-52H Stratofortress, conduct joint exercises in the US Central Command area. (Brian M Wilbur/US Navy via AP, File)

Activists offer new death toll

While the protests have been halted for weeks after the crackdown, information trickling out of Iran via Starlink satellite dishes is reaching activists, who have been trying to tally the carnage.

On Wednesday, the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, which has been accurate in multiple rounds of unrest in Iran, said the at least 6221 dead it counted included at least 5858 protesters, 214 government-affiliated forces, 100 children and 49 civilians who weren’t demonstrating. More than 42,300 have been arrested, it added.

The group verifies each death and arrest with a network of activists on the ground in Iran. The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll given that authorities cut off the internet and disrupted calls into the Islamic Republic.

Iran’s government has put the death toll at a far lower 3117, saying 2427 were civilians and security forces, and labelled the rest “terrorists”. In the past, Iran’s theocracy has undercounted or not reported fatalities from unrest.

A vendor waits for customers at Tajrish Square in Tehran, Iran, on Tuesday, January 27, 2026. ( Photo/Vahid Salemi)

That death toll exceeds that of any other round of protest or unrest in Iran in decades, and recalls the chaos surrounding the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

The protests began on December 28, sparked by the fall of the Iranian currency, the rial, and quickly spread. The country has faced more than two weeks of internet blackout — the most comprehensive in its history.

Iran on Wednesday also announced the execution of Hamidreza Sabet, a man it convicted of spying for Israel. Sabet’s execution marks the 13th carried out by Iran against alleged spies for Israel since the June war.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…

Ukrainian Officials Boycott Paralympics: Unveiling the Controversial Decision Stirring Global Attention

In brief Both Russia and Belarus were subject to a blanket ban…
Australia's closest ally has raised the alarm over the Coalition's leadership turnover, even joking it may not be worth building a relationship with the new shadow foreign minister. New Zealand foreign minister Winston Peters says he is 'aghast' at the 'inexcusable' turmoil in Australian political ranks, which he attributes to 'ego'. Mr Peters is now in his third stint as New Zealand's top diplomat, having served in the governments of Helen Clark, Jacinda Ardern and, currently, Christopher Luxon.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Criticizes Australia: Diplomatic Tensions Rise in Trans-Tasman Relations

Australia’s closest ally has voiced concerns over the frequent changes in the…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales

King Charles Responds to Brother Andrew’s Arrest: What You Need to Know

On the morning of his 66th birthday, the former Prince Andrew was…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…