Two Norwegians jailed over dive off NSW coast
Share this @internewscast.com
Two Norwegian men have been jailed in New South Wales after they were spotted diving in an unsuccessful attempt to retrieve 80kg of smuggled cocaine.

On January 23, 2023, NSW Police received an anonymous tip that a bulk carrier from Brazil was arriving in Newcastle with a package of illicit drugs, concealed as a parasitic attachment on the hull.

The same day, a member of the public reported spotting two men using diving equipment and seabobs at Swansea to Crime Stoppers.

Two men have been jailed after $26 million of cocaine concealed in a ship’s hull was seized in Newcastle. (NSW Police, AFP, ABF)

The witness said the seabobs appeared to have a black tow harness with shackles and weights on either side.

The carrier itself docked in Newcastle the next day, January 24, 2023, only to be searched by federal and NSW police officers as well as Australian Border Force officers.

Divers retrieved six waterproof duffel bags hidden in the hull.

Police divers recovered the cocaine and two seabobs used in the attempted smuggling. (NSW Police, AFP, ABF)

The bags contained 80kg of packages which tested positive to cocaine.

On January 25, 2023, witnesses on a ferry reported seeing two men in the water at Newcastle harbour.

Police arrested the men when they returned to shore and carried out a search warrant on their vehicle, seizing items ranging from diving gear, to passports, to bolt cutters.

The bulk carrier was arriving in Newcastle from Brazil. (NSW Police, AFP, ABF)

The subsequent investigation revealed the two men had flown into Brisbane from Denpasar, Indonesia, on January 17 and 18.

They purchased two seabobs worth $56,000 on the Gold Coast, a scuba set in Nelson Bay, and tools from a Newcastle hardware store.

Their phones revealed the men had discussed the logistics of retrieving the cocaine from the bulk carrier in an encrypted app group chat titled “Finding Nemo”.

The court heard that was what the men had been trying to do in the water.

Multiple items were seized. (NSW Police, AFP, ABF)
Witnesses spotted the men in the water. (NSW Police, AFP, ABF)

Both seabobs were later found fastened to a pier pylon in the Hunter River at Newcastle.

Both men pleaded guilty to trying to import a commercial amount of cocaine.

The AFP estimated the seized narcotics were worth $26 million, or about 400,000 street deals.

A 53-year-old man was sentenced yesterday to nine years and 11 months in prison, with a non-parole period of four years and 11 months.

A 35-year-old man was previously sentenced on March 13 this year to 10 years and two months in prison, with a non-parole period of five years and nine months.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon after getting married today in Canberra.

Inside the Secret Wedding of Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon at The Lodge: Exclusive Details Revealed

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has married long-time partner Jodie Haydon in an…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…
No one could escape these two words for weeks. Now Aussies are opting out

Aussies Opt Out of Viral Two-Word Craze Dominating Conversations for Weeks

Exclusive Insight: The phrase “Black Friday” has been ubiquitous, filling email inboxes…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…