Titan submersible implosion was 'preventable', US Coast Guard finds
Share this @internewscast.com
The US Coast Guard Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) tasked with examining the June 2023 implosion of the Titan submersible released its report on Tuesday, with the board chair stating that the deaths of the five people on board were “preventable”.

The MBI found the “primary contributing factors” to the implosion were OceanGate’s “inadequate design, certification, maintenance and inspection process for the Titan”, a Coast Guard release said.

Debris from the Titan submersible, recovered from the ocean floor near the wreck of the Titanic, is unloaded from the ship Horizon Arctic at the Canadian Coast Guard pier in St John’s, Newfoundland, Wednesday, June 28, 2023. (AP)

The ill-fated expedition seized the world’s attention two years ago, when the vessel vanished during a dive to the wreck of the Titanic.

A massive search operation unfolded in the North Atlantic, but the submersible’s mangled wreckage was found on the ocean floor.

Stockton Rush, the founder and CEO of the vessel’s operator, OceanGate; businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son, Suleman Dawood; businessman Hamish Harding; and French diver Paul-Henri Nargeolet were all killed.

Those remains were matched to the five men on board through DNA testing and analysis, the MBI previously said.

This undated photo provided by OceanGate Expeditions in June 2021 shows the company’s Titan submersible (AP)

The submersible disaster has led to lawsuits and calls for tighter regulation of the developing private deep sea expedition industry.

Jason Neubauer, with the MBI, said that the findings will help prevent future tragedies.

“There is a need for stronger oversight and clear options for operators who are exploring new concepts outside of the existing regulatory framework,” he said in a statement.

Investigators found that the submersible’s design, certification, maintenance and inspection process were all inadequate.

Detailed 3D scans show Titanic’s final moments

A Coast Guard statement said OceanGate also had a “toxic workplace culture”, and its mission was hindered by lack of domestic and international framework for submersible operations.

Numerous OceanGate employees have come forward in the two years since the implosion to support that claim.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Devastating Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 600 Lives: Ongoing Relief Efforts Struggle to Cope

More than 600 people have been killed in floods and landslides across…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…
Former Ernst & Young partner Leonard Nicita (pictured) lost his breach of contract case after being warned over inappropriate behaviour at a Miami Vice-themed office Christmas party

Aussie Workers Alerted: Christmas Party Misconduct Can Cost You Big, Warns Sacked EY Executive’s $1.3M Lesson

The dismissal of a high-ranking Ernst & Young partner has become a…
Hanson addresses immigration rally in Melbourne

Breaking News: Hanson Speaks Out at Melbourne Rally – Unveiling Her Stance on Immigration

Pauline Hanson, the leader of One Nation, recently led an anti-immigration protest,…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions: What It Means for Global Relations

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…

Australia Steps Up: Tackling Fiji’s HIV Crisis with Urgent Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…