Share this @internewscast.com
The United Nations human rights office said on Tuesday that the “weaponisation” of food for civilians in Gaza constitutes a war crime, in its strongest remarks yet on a new model of aid distribution run by an Israeli-backed organisation.
The US- and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) began food distribution operations in Gaza in late May, after Israel completely cut off supplies into the occupied Palestinian territory for more than two months, sparking warnings of mass famine.
The UN and major aid groups have refused to cooperate with the GHF — an officially private effort with opaque funding — over concerns it was designed to cater to Israeli military objectives.
Since the organisation began operating, “the Israeli military has shelled and shot Palestinians trying to reach the distribution points, leading to many fatalities”, UN human rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told reporters at a Geneva press briefing.
Kheetan said more than 410 people have been killed by gunshots or shells fired by the Israeli military while trying to reach GHF distribution sites since it began operating,

The figures regarding the death toll were provided by Palestinian health officials and various other sources, such as non-governmental organizations, and were undergoing a verification process by his office, he stated.

“Desperate, hungry people in Gaza continue to face the inhumane choice of either starving to death or risk being killed while trying to get food,” he said, describing the system as “Israel’s militarised humanitarian assistance mechanism”.
“The weaponisation of food for civilians, in addition to restricting or preventing their access to life-sustaining services, constitutes a war crime and, under certain circumstances, may constitute elements of other crimes under international law.”
Asked whether Israel was guilty of that war crime, he said: “The legal qualification needs to be made by a court of law.”

Israel consistently denies allegations of committing war crimes in Gaza and attributes civilian casualties to Hamas fighters, who it claims operate within civilian areas, a charge that the militant group disputes.

Aid system an ‘abomination’, UNRWA chief says

Philippe Lazzarini, the head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, also criticised the GHF on Tuesday.

“The newly created so-called aid mechanism is an abomination that humiliates and degrades desperate people,” Lazzarini said at a press conference in Berlin. “It is a death trap costing more lives than it saves,” he said.
UNRWA had long spearheaded aid efforts in the region, but was sidelined by the GHF’s operations.
Israel has accused UNRWA of providing cover for Hamas militants and earlier this year banned the agency from operating on Israeli soil or contacting officials.

On Tuesday, Lazzarini called for UNRWA to regain access to the Palestinian territory and restart its aid efforts.

Hundreds of people walking along a pathway, carrying white sacks.

Palestinians travelling to an aid centre set up by the Gaza Humanitarian Relief Foundation earlier this month. Source: Anadolu / Getty Images

“The humanitarian community, including UNRWA, has the expertise and must be allowed to do their job and provide assistance with respect and dignity,” he said.

“There is no other alternative to address the challenges of spreading hunger in the Gaza Strip.”

More than 20 killed waiting for aid in Gaza in most recent incident

On Tuesday, Gaza’s civil defence agency said Israeli forces killed 21 people waiting for aid near a distribution site in the centre of the Palestinian territory, the latest deadly incident targeting aid-seekers.
Civil defence spokesman Mahmud Bassal told AFP that 21 people were killed and around 150 wounded “as a result of the Israeli occupation forces’ targeting of gatherings of citizens waiting for aid … in the central Gaza Strip with bullets and tank shells” in the early hours of Tuesday.
Israel launched its war on Gaza after Palestinian Hamas militants attacked in October 2023, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.
Israel’s subsequent military assault on Gaza has killed nearly 55,700 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s health ministry, while displacing almost the entire population of more than two million and causing a hunger crisis.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Swiss Tourist Identified After Bravely Attempting to Save Girlfriend from Shark Attack

A Swiss tourist who bravely attempted to ward off a shark during…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe at Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…