BBC says Trump has no case as its Panorama edit did not air in US

The BBC has asserted that Donald Trump is unable to pursue a $5 billion lawsuit because the misleading edit from Panorama was not broadcast in the United States.

Last week, Director-General Tim Davie resigned abruptly, along with CEO of News Deborah Turness, amidst backlash over a 12-second altered segment of one of the former President’s speeches.

In response to Mr. Trump’s legal challenge, the broadcaster’s legal team has argued that there is no legitimate basis for a lawsuit.

Although the BBC acknowledged an ‘error of judgment’ and expressed willingness to apologize to Trump, they clarified that the documentary, titled “Trump, a Second Chance?”, wasn’t aired in the US due to lack of broadcasting rights, as reported by The Times.

The program was also inaccessible to US viewers via iPlayer, as it was ‘geo-blocked’ by the broadcaster.

US audiences were also unable to watch via iPlayer because the programme was ‘geo-blocked’ by the broadcaster.

The documentary suggested Mr Trump had made a ‘direct call for violent action’ as two separate sections of his speech in the run-up to the Capitol riot on January 6, 2021 were spliced together in a 12-second clip.

BBC lawyers have argued Mr Trump could not have suffered ‘overwhelming … reputation harm’ – as he ended up winning the presidential election.

Donald Trump has threatened to sue for $5billion after BBC Panorama broadcast doctored footage of his speech

Donald Trump has threatened to sue for $5billion after BBC Panorama broadcast doctored footage of his speech

Director General Tim Davie resigned over the scandal last week

Director General Tim Davie resigned over the scandal last week 

They added the edit had not been done in malice and the clip was at odds with the rest of the hour-long programme which sought to show the reasons the President’s supporters had voted for him.

Mr Trump has said he will bring his claim in the state of Florida.

He doubled down this week on his threat to sue for ‘corrupt’ editing, after his lawyer initially wrote to the BBC with a $1billion claim.

A spokesman for the corporation said since the first threat there had been ‘no further contact from President Trump’s lawyers at this point’.

They added: ‘Our position remains the same.’

The BBC also said it had no plans to settle with Mr Trump – despite him having previously reached out of court agreements with US media outlets including Disney’s ABC, Paramount’s CBS and Meta, the owner of Facebook.

On Saturday Mr Trump promised in an interview with GB News to raise the issue with Keir Starmer.

He said: ‘I think I have an obligation to do it – this was so egregious.’

On Saturday Mr Trump promised in an interview with GB News to raise the issue with Keir Starmer (file image)

On Saturday Mr Trump promised in an interview with GB News to raise the issue with Keir Starmer (file image)

Yesterday it was revealed a top BBC chief had urged her staff to ‘check in’ with colleagues who work in news following the ‘attacks’ over the Panorama scandal.

Kate Phillips, a frontrunner to succeed Tim Davie as Director General, sent a gushing internal email to rally her ‘incredible’ troops last Friday.

The chief content officer sought to raise morale as Mr Trump threatened to sue the broadcaster for up to $5billion after it admitted doctoring footage of his speech.

In an email seen by the Mail, following the resignations of Mr Davie and CEO of News Deborah Turness, Ms Phillips wrote: ‘Well, we got through the week.

‘Thank you so much to everyone who’s been in touch.

‘I’ve really appreciated your candour, and what has come through loud and clear is how passionately you care about the BBC and the work you do, but also the understandable upset and frustration at what has happened. I feel the same.’

She picked up on Lisa Nandy’s address to Parliament where the Culture Secretary ‘highlighted the danger of sustained attacks against the BBC’.

‘Of course we’re always utterly accountable, and concerns over editorial failings should always be raised,’ Ms Phillips wrote.

BBC chief content officer Kate Phillips sought to boost morale praising 'incredible' staff after Tim Davie's resignation

BBC chief content officer Kate Phillips sought to boost morale praising ‘incredible’ staff after Tim Davie’s resignation 

‘But that should be in the spirit of making the best public service broadcaster in the world even better.

‘As Tim said on the all-staff call earlier this week, these times are difficult for all of us, but if we make the case for the BBC and focus on delivering for audiences we will get through them – and we will thrive.’

Ms Phillips praised the BBC as providing ‘the best journalism in the world’, adding: ‘Our friends and colleagues in News are doing an extraordinary job – please take a moment to check in with those you know there.

‘And if you still have questions, I’d encourage you to keep talking to the senior leaders in your areas.’

You May Also Like

NY Man Arrested Over Alleged Bullet Threat to Jeanine Pirro

A Long Island man has been arrested after federal authorities accused him…

Toxic Issue Could Sink Republican in Crucial Senate Race

As frustration over AI data centers grows across Ohio, Democrats have found…

Gayle King Criticizes Hayden Panettiere’s Mother in Candid Interview

Gayle King did not hold back in her response to Hayden Panettiere’s…

Police Swarm SC Home Tied to Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend

Police were seen arriving Wednesday morning at a South Carolina residence connected…

Missing Sydney Bushwalker Lily Hooper Found Dead

The family of missing hiker Lily Hooper suffered an agonising few minutes…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set to Move Back to the UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to the United…

Shabana Mahmood Backs Fairer Asylum Seeker Distribution

Shabana Mahmood has reinforced Andy Burnham’s call for asylum seekers to be…

Archaeologists Uncover Skeletal Remains in Peru Believed to Be Ancient Ritual Offering

LIMA, Peru — Archaeologists in Peru have presented newly uncovered human skeletal…

Prince Harry Beams as He Breaks Cover Hours After UK Revelation

Prince Harry appeared in buoyant spirits as he was photographed for the…

Iran Mulls Strikes on European Military Targets, Report Says

Iran is reportedly examining plans to strike US military targets in Europe…

US Army Faces Criticism Over Dangerous Reversal on Futuristic Drone and Robot Unit

The US Army is preparing to wind down its drone assault battalion…

Lawsuit Claims 6-Year-Old Girl Died After Freak Badminton Racket Accident

The family of a six-year-old girl killed in a horrifying badminton accident…