Trump hints at decision on Venezuela - is the US about to go to war?
Share this @internewscast.com
US President Donald Trump suggested he has made up his mind on a course of action in Venezuela following multiple high-level briefings last week and a mounting US show of force in the region.

President Trump was briefed last week on potential military strategies to intervene in Venezuela, according to four sources who spoke to CNN. This comes as he considers the implications of intensifying efforts to potentially remove President Nicolás Maduro from power.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military has positioned over a dozen warships and 15,000 troops in the region as part of a mission called “Operation Southern Spear,” orchestrated by the Pentagon.

President Donald Trump suggested he has made up his mind on a course of action in Venezuela. (Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images via CNN)

On Friday, the president suggested he was nearing a decision on how to address the issues of illegal migration and drug trafficking, along with considering the possibility of a regime change in Venezuela.

Speaking to reporters on Air Force One, Trump said, “I sort of have made up my mind — yeah. I mean, I can’t tell you what it would be, but I sort of have,” when asked about his decision-making process following the briefings.

A select group, including Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine, provided Trump with details on Wednesday. A broader national security team, which included Secretary of State Marco Rubio and other senior officials, met with the president in the Situation Room on Thursday, as confirmed by a U.S. official.

During both sessions, Trump and his advisors evaluated various target options.

Trump and his team reviewed target options during both meetings.

Trump has been presented a wide range of options for Venezuela, including air strikes on military or government facilities and drug-trafficking routes, or a more direct attempt to take out Maduro. CNN previously reported that the president was considering plans to target cocaine production facilities and drug-trafficking routes inside Venezuela.

A screenshot of a US Department of Defence video showing a suspected drugs boat moments before it was destroyed by a US strike on October 21, 2025. (Supplied)

It’s also possible he decides to forgo any action. Trump said last month he had authorised the CIA to operate in the country, but administration officials told lawmakers this month that the US didn’t have a legal justification that would support attacks against any land targets – though it is possible they could generate one.

Trump recently told CBS’ 60 Minutes he was not considering strikes inside Venezuela, despite earlier sounding open to the idea.

The president has, in meetings, seemed wary of ordering actions that could end in failure or put US troops at risk, according to people familiar with the matter.

What assets are in the region?

In recent weeks, the US has amassed its naval forces in the Caribbean as the Trump administration has launched at least 20 strikes on alleged drug-trafficking boats, an effort officials say is meant to disrupt the flow of drugs into the US.

The world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R Ford, arrived in the region last week and entered the Caribbean Sea on Sunday, the Navy announced.

In addition to the aircraft carrier itself – described as the US Navy’s “most lethal combat platform” – the US has amassed roughly 15,000 military personnel in the region, alongside more than a dozen warships, including a cruiser, destroyers, an air and missile defence command ship, amphibious assault vessels, and an attack submarine.

The USS Gerald R Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, is in the region. (AP)

It has also deployed 10 F-35 fighter jets to Puerto Rico, which has become a hub for the US military as part of the increased focus on the Caribbean.

US Army Secretary Dan Driscoll said Sunday that the US military “would be ready, if asked” to take action in Venezuela.

“The president and secretary of war have spent a lot of time thinking about what is the best thing they can do for the American people. And I can speak from the Army’s perspective, which is, we have a lot of training in that part of the world,” Driscoll said on CBS News’ “Face the Nation.”

Experts describe the level of military buildup as significant.

A satellite image captured on October 17 shows F-35 fighter jets at José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Puerto Rico. (Planet Labs PBC via CNN)

“I have been surprised by both the scale and the speed, and it is unprecedented,” Eric Farnsworth, senior associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told CNN.

“It’s the most significant build up this century. In fact, you have to go back to 1989, the US invasion of Panama, for anything remotely similar.”

Venezuela, in turn, has said it is launching a “massive mobilisation” of military personnel, weapons and equipment.

Potential risks and rewards

Regime change in Venezuela would require serious commitment by the US and carries high risk, but ousting Maduro could give Trump and his team credit for something that has proved elusive to multiple US administrations, including his own.

During his first term in office, Trump officially recognised Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó as the country’s legitimate leader, but a failed coup attempt in 2019 meant Guaidó never managed to take power.

If Trump ousted Maduro, the US president could claim major wins: getting a strongman out and an elected leader in, the possibility of enhanced collaboration on flows of drugs and migration, and potential deals on oil.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. (Juan Barreto/AFP/Getty Images via CNN Newsource)

But experts have also warned that if Trump ordered strikes inside Venezuela aimed at ousting Maduro, the US president could face serious challenges with fractured opposition elements and a military poised for insurgency.

In remarks from Caracas on Friday, Maduro warned that US military intervention could lay the groundwork for what he described as “another Gaza,” a “new Afghanistan” or “Vietnam again.”

Offering a direct message to the US, he said, “Stop the insane hand of those who order bombing, killing and bringing war to South America, to the Caribbean. Stop the war. No to war.”

Extended US military involvement also runs the risk of upsetting the political coalition that propelled Trump into office on promises of keeping America out of overseas wars. Both Vice President JD Vance and Hegseth served in the military during the Iraq War and have since expressed scepticism about entangling the US in foreign conflicts.

“The American people did not vote for Trump to draw the US into a sustained conflict in Latin America. On that basis securing Trump’s commitment to long-lasting support for the opposition is likely to be a challenge,” said a GOP congressional staffer.

“And without that support, this won’t work.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Name Revealed: Court Lifts Suppression Order on Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

A Perth magistrate has lifted the anonymity of a man accused of…
Opposition Leader Angus Taylor has unveiled his new shadow ministry this afternoon, bringing back the Nationals and exiled members.

New Opposition Leader Revamps Shadow Ministry with Major Promotions and Strategic Returns

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, has introduced his revamped shadow ministry, re-integrating…
Dual nationals may have to pay nearly £600 for a 'certificate of entitlement' to enter the UK under new Home Office rules

New Passport Regulations May Restrict UK Entry for Young Britons Born Overseas Starting Next Week

New regulations concerning passports might prevent British children born overseas from entering…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…
Health insurance hike to 'push many households to the edge'

Impending Health Insurance Increase Poised to Strain Household Budgets

Australians are about to be hit with the largest average price hike…
The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian Government to trial a four-day work week for teachers to avoid future recruitment issues.

Proposal for a Four-Day Work Week for Teachers Gains Momentum

The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian government to trial a…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations: Breakthrough in Guiding Principles, Yet Deal Remains Elusive

In brief A US official said Iran would make detailed proposals in…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…
The Sharks player (pictured in 2019 after representing New Zealand) would provide the Blues with another world class forward

Five Football Stars Now Eligible to Join Your State of Origin Team

The National Rugby League (NRL) has recently made groundbreaking revisions to its…
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…
Man to face trial over 40 years after granny's 'reprehensible' rape

Justice Delayed: Man Faces Trial for Heinous 1983 Rape of Grandmother

Warning: This article includes content that may be distressing to some readers.…