Sculpture by the Sea worker claims he was sacked after raising safety alarm
Share this @internewscast.com

A sculpture installer who suffered facial lacerations working for popular art event Sculpture by the Sea claims he was sacked after complaining about safety.

Lead installer Yuri Humeniuk was hospitalised and had to undergo facial surgery when he was injured at the organisation’s storage depot in the Sydney suburb of Kingswood in January 2024.

The city’s annual Sculpture by the Sea event is billed as the largest free outdoor sculpture exhibition in the world and attracts an audience of about 450,000 people.

Sculpture installer Yuri Humeniuk needed facial surgery after a workplace accident and says he was dismissed after complaining about workplace safety.
Sculpture installer Yuri Humeniuk needed facial surgery after a workplace accident and says he was dismissed after complaining about workplace safety. (Yuri Humeniuk/Instagram)

Humeniuk raised his longstanding safety concerns with the organisation’s senior management in the months following the injury, according to Fair Work Commission documents.

In September 2024, Sculpture by the Sea told Humeniuk it “would like to take a pause” in their working relationship until after that year’s Bondi exhibition.

Humeniuk took his case to the Fair Work Commission, alleging he was exercising a workplace right in raising safety concerns and was sacked as a result, in contravention of workplace laws.

Sculpture by the Sea is a popular event in Sydney.
Sculpture by the Sea is a popular event in Sydney. (Edwina Pickles/SMH)

Lawyers for Sculpture by the Sea argued Humeniuk was employed on a casual basis and there was no obligation to offer him work at the Bondi event.

They further argued the commission did not have jurisdiction to hear the matter because Humeniuk had not actually been dismissed.

An initial ruling agreed Humeniuk had not been dismissed, but in September an appeal bench quashed that decision, finding the “pause” in his employment amounted to a dismissal.

The dispute has come to light weeks after Sculpture by the Sea publicised a $200,000 shortfall in its finances, launching a last-minute funding drive so the 2025 event could proceed.

It is now set to open on October 17, with donors pledging more than $125,000 and NRMA Insurance contributing $200,000 to become a major sponsor.

The annual event is billed as the largest free outdoor sculpture exhibition in the world.
The annual event is billed as the largest free outdoor sculpture exhibition in the world. (Janie Barrett)

The Fair Work case was not the cause of Sculpture by the Sea’s money issues because it had been represented pro bono, founding director David Handley said.

Humeniuk is a highly regarded installer and has worked with Sculpture by the Sea for more than two decades.

Company manager Davina Corti told him safety policies had changed since his injury and promised attempts had been made to find an alternative to the Kingswood site.

“You are important to Sculpture by the Sea and have been an integral part of our organisation since its early years. Your injury has rocked all of us,” she wrote in an email cited in the case.

Humeniuk replied: “It is unfortunate that it has taken a workplace accident to bring these issues to the forefront … I have voiced concerns verbally, for what seems like forever.”

The yearly seaside event attracts an audience of about 450,000 people.
The yearly seaside event attracts an audience of about 450,000 people. (Janie Barrett)

Parts of the organisation were plagued by gaslighting and blame culture, and while some depot site managers over the decades were amazing, others were “wildly unsuited, lecherous, lazy or incompetent”, he wrote in a later email.

The incident at the Kingswood depot is the first time a Sculpture by the Sea worker has been injured in 29 years, according to Handley.

Although Sculpture by the Sea’s landlord and insurer were told about the injury immediately, it took more than two months to inform SafeWork NSW, he acknowledged.

“This was a mistake. I was not aware of the need to report such injuries, and as soon as I became aware, we reported it,” he said.

​Staff repeatedly offered to meet with Humeniuk to resolve his concerns, but the installer did not respond, he added.

SafeWork NSW has looked into the incident and issued two improvement notices which have been complied with, according to a spokesperson.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Couple Arrested for Assaulting Deputies After Dispute Over Juvenile Custody Escalates

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Authorities arrested Chanda Demetria Lorick, 40, and…

Shocking Headlines: How UK Newspapers Reacted to Ex-Prince’s Arrest

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor may be out of police custody, but judging by the…

Police Seek Men Accused of Assaulting Woman with Skateboard and Taser After Rejected Advances

Inset: Paul Alan Thomas (LAPD). Background: A man identified as Thomas allegedly…

78-Year-Old Man Arrested for Stalking Mother and Child on Bus Route: Attempted Abduction Foiled

Share A 78-year-old from California faces charges for allegedly “harassing and stalking”…

Judge Criticizes Trump Administration’s Legal Tactics, Asserts Constitution Can’t Be Ignored in Courtroom

Main: Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a roundtable on criminal cartels…

Investigation Continues: Montana Girl Remains Missing Nearly Five Years After Last Seen with Uncle

An 8-year-old girl from Montana remains missing after she disappeared from the…

Ex-South Korean President Receives Life Sentence for Enforcing Martial Law

Former South Korean president Yoon Suk Yeol was sentenced to life in…

North Dakota Man Allegedly Used DoorDash to Obtain Tools for Girlfriend’s Dismemberment, Investigators Reveal

Authorities in North Dakota suspect that a woman’s boyfriend resorted to using…

January 6 Rioter Ignores Prison Deadline After Threatening Judge in Trump Case; Arrest Warrant Issued, Authorities Confirm

Inset: Abigail Jo Shry (Brazoria County Sheriff”s Office). Left: President-elect Donald Trump…

Mother Allegedly Neglects Son’s Liver Disease Medication Amidst Parenting Challenges, Prompting Urgent Transplant Need, Authorities Report

Share A Florida mother is facing serious allegations after authorities claim she…

Mother Allegedly Leaves Child, Drives Across States, and Hits Woman with Car Before Fleeing: Police Report

Background: State Road 18 in Converse, Ind. (Google Maps). Inset (left): Adria…

Siblings of Stabbing Victim Share ‘Profound Grief’ Amid Hospital Security Review

In a tragic incident that shook the community, Amamuddin Sadar became a…