Infowars falls off air as Alex Jones 'derails' The Onion's purchase

Alex Jones’ Infowars broadcast has come to an abrupt end, marking its final transmission on Friday after failing to settle damages owed to the families of Sandy Hook shooting victims.

The contentious platform, known for its far-right commentary, officially went offline on Thursday. Meanwhile, a comedian associated with the satirical website The Onion has accused Jones of attempting to obstruct its acquisition of Infowars through legal maneuvers.

In recent weeks, The Onion announced it had reached an agreement to purchase Infowars. However, Tim Heidecker, the comedian and newly appointed Creative Director for The Onion, claimed that Jones had temporarily hindered the transaction.

“This guy, Alex Jones, has somehow managed to get involved with the Texas Third Court of Appeals,” Heidecker stated. “He secured a ‘stay’ that delays the transfer of the site until another ruling is made.”

Since The Onion unveiled its acquisition plans on April 20, the deal has been stalled, with Jones now seeking to challenge a court ruling that mandates the liquidation of his company.

Infowars has been teetering on the brink since 2021 when Jones was ordered to pay $1.5 billion to the families affected by the Sandy Hook tragedy. Jones falsely claimed that the horrific event, in which 20 children and six educators lost their lives, was a “hoax.”

Following years of court battles, a Texas judge in 2024 ordered that Infowars’ parent company Free Speech Systems be liquidated to pay the families.  

The Onion said it acquired Infowars with the support of the Sanky Hook families, and on Friday, Jones said a court-appointed receiver told him and his crew to leave their Austin headquarters.

Alex Jones' Infowars ended its broadcast for the final time on Friday after failing to pay damages to the Sandy Hook shooting victims' families

Alex Jones’ Infowars ended its broadcast for the final time on Friday after failing to pay damages to the Sandy Hook shooting victims’ families

Despite The Onion’s Heidecker saying Jones had found a court to issue a last-minute stay, the Infowars site on Friday showed only an ‘Off Air’ note. 

In a video shared Friday, Jones announced to his followers: ‘It’s locked up and that’s it, and so we’re gone.

‘Now maybe in court we win, we get back in there or something but I don’t think that’s probably going to happen.’ 

The Hail Mary move from Jones saw a three-judge panel in the Texas Court of Appeals issue an order on Wednesday night that temporary froze Infowars’ asset turnover to the Sandy Hook families. 

The judges also halted an appeal of defamation judgements against Jones filed by the families. 

The order from the judges meant the court-appointed receiver, who was given control of Infowars’ assets to satisfy the $1.5 billion judgement to the Sanky Hook families, was restricted, per Bloomberg. 

The receiver had been bidding to license the trademark and associated domains for Free Speech Systems, but the judges paused that move while the appeal is heard. 

On Thursday, The Onion CEO Ben Collins slammed the ruling as an ‘unprecedented situation’, but vowed that it would not stop Infowars from being shut down. 

He signed off a post on his Bluesky account: ‘Goodbye, get lost, and we’ll see you soon.’ 

Infowars has struggled to stay afloat since Jones was ordered to pay the families of the Sandy Hook shooting victims $1.5 billion in 2021, after he falsely claimed the tragedy where 20 children and six teachers were murdered was a 'hoax

Infowars has struggled to stay afloat since Jones was ordered to pay the families of the Sandy Hook shooting victims $1.5 billion in 2021, after he falsely claimed the tragedy where 20 children and six teachers were murdered was a ‘hoax

Despite Infowars' site going down, Jones announced on X that he was not ending his own broadcasting and launched a new show, The Alex Jones Network, to continue streaming to his millions of followers

Despite Infowars’ site going down, Jones announced on X that he was not ending his own broadcasting and launched a new show, The Alex Jones Network, to continue streaming to his millions of followers

The Onion says it bought Infowars out of revenge for Jones’ outrageous allegations aimed at the Sandy Hook families, and said they intend to relaunch the site as a satirical outlet. 

‘We thought it’d be the funniest joke of all time, basically,’ Collins told Good Morning America in 2024. 

‘Infowars is a clearing house for lies and nonsense in a bad way. The garbage they put out over the last two decades has really hurt a lot of people. 

‘They’ve targeted the families of the Sandy Hook victims, that led to the defamation case that allowed for auction.’

Despite Infowars’ site going down, Jones announced on X that he was not ending his own broadcasting. 

He said Friday that he had launched a new show, The Alex Jones Network, to continue streaming to his millions of followers.  

You May Also Like

New England Woman Posed With Creepy Doll Jailed for Morgue Crimes

A Massachusetts woman who once posed for a selfie with an eerie…

Newly Single Margaret Qualley Joins Elordi at Dog Star Premiere

Margaret Qualley stepped back into the spotlight on Thursday, appearing without her…

Meghan Markle Denies Claim She Wanted to Become a U.S. Senator

Meghan Markle has pushed back against claims that she sought a path…

FBI Says Woman Scouted Building in Burka While Plotting ISIS Bomb Attack

Federal authorities say a New York woman accused in an ISIS-inspired plot…

Erin Patterson Appeal Risks Backfiring in Dramatic Twist

In Erin Patterson’s imagined ending, she leaves a packed courtroom a free…

Judge Bars Rep. Lauren Boebert’s Son Tyler Boebert From Contacting Ex in Child Exploitation Case

Rep. Lauren Boebert’s son, Tyler Boebert, has been instructed by a Colorado…

Iran Protest Survivor Raheleh Amiri Blasts ‘Screaming Mary’ Son’s Bid to Remain in US

An Iranian-born activist who lost an eye after being shot by Iran’s…

James Carville blasts DSA socialists, demands they stop using Democrats’ name

Veteran Democratic strategist James Carville delivered a blunt rebuke Thursday of the…

Gwyneth Paltrow Reportedly Glad Meghan Markle Is Moving Out of Montecito

Montecito, California, is no stranger to disruption, from earthquakes and mudslides to…

Friends Reveal Why Harry and Meghan’s Move Could Be Forever

After years of tension, public accusations and bruising headlines — not to…

Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Reportedly Avoid Awkward Run-In

Jennifer Lopez appeared to sidestep a potentially uncomfortable encounter with her ex-husband…

Fewer Than 1 in 4 Brits Want Harry and Meghan Back in the UK

Public support for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle returning to the UK…