Share this @internewscast.com

Alex de Minaur, after experiencing another disappointing exit from the Australian Open, understands that the path to bridging the gap with the world’s elite tennis players requires unwavering perseverance. His ambition to capture a grand slam title remains, but the journey is undeniably challenging.

During his quarter-final showdown with world number one Carlos Alcaraz, de Minaur was starkly reminded of the distance he still needs to cover. Despite an electrifying start that had local fans dreaming of a potential upset, the match swiftly turned into a familiar story of struggle, as Alcaraz dominated with a 7-5, 6-2, 6-1 victory at Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday night.

Reflecting on the match, the 26-year-old maintained a resilient outlook, stating, “You just got to keep on moving. It’s the only way. As tough as it is when you get results like this, you get back up, you get back on the horse, and that’s it.”

De Minaur’s journey through grand slam quarter-finals has been fraught with challenges, as he has yet to secure a victory in his first seven appearances. This unfortunate statistic places him alongside Andrey Rublev and Tommy Robredo, making him only the third man in the Open Era to encounter such a hurdle.

“I mean, as tough as it is when you get results like this, you get back up, you get back on the horse, and that’s it.”

De Minaur has lost his first seven grand slam quarter-final appearances and is the third man in the open era to do so, after Andrey Rublev and Tommy Robredo.

He first reached the last eight at Melbourne Park a year ago, when he was beaten by Jannik Sinner, who was then on the march to a second straight AO crown.

In the aftermath, de Minaur went on to reach a career-high ranking of world number six in the world and held his top-10 billing for most of last year.

But, frustratingly, he remains a level below Alcaraz and Sinner, nursing a combined 0-19 head-to-head record against the two big guns.

‘It doesn’t feel amazing’

Tuesday’s defeat was his sixth in as many meetings with Alcaraz.

“It doesn’t feel amazing, I’ll tell you that,” de Minaur said.

“You try do the right things, you try keep on improving.

“But when the results don’t come or the scoreline doesn’t reflect those improvements, then of course you feel quite deflated.”

Two male tennis players shaking hands over a net, both holding raquets

Alex de Minaur (left) said he would try to improve following his loss to Carlos Alcaraz (right). Source: AP / Dita Alangkara

There is no encouragement to be had from the records of Rublev and Robredo. The latter’s seventh quarter-final in 2013 was also his last, with the Spaniard now retired.

Rublev, 28, is still playing and ranked world number 14, but the Russian has now reached ten quarter-finals without progressing, most recently at the Australian Open two years ago.

De Minaur wasn’t without his moments against Alcaraz.

He fought back from 3-0 down in the first set to level the score and at one point hit an outrageous backhand winner in mid-air.

“There was some good parts out there, but overall, I’m playing out of my comfort zone and at times out of my skin,” de Minaur said.

“Of course, for me to take that next step, I’ve got to be comfortable in playing that sort of way for the whole match.

“That’s what it takes, you know, to take it to the next level, especially against these types of guys.”

Alcaraz, who is still alive in his quest to complete a career grand slam this tournament, said de Minaur presents a difficult challenge.

But the six-time major winner felt he had the upper hand against the Australian in their latest showdown.

“When he’s playing against the best or the top player, he’s trying to be more aggressive, which sometimes he’s just out of his comfort zone,” Alcaraz said.

“That (why) sometimes we’re seeing him miss quite often some quite easy balls.

“I notice that, and we know how to approach the match, because we are one step forward in that case.”


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
24 cats were taken from the woman, who is not allowed to be in the care of more than five felines.

Victorian Property Raid Uncovers Dozens of Animals in Distress: Serial Cruelty Offender Under Investigation

A serial animal cruelty offender, who a court found has been abusing…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…