Children found alive beneath rubble of collapsed Indonesian school
Share this @internewscast.com
Indonesian rescue teams are frantically searching for scores of young students buried for two days under rubble in Sidoarjo, East Java, after their Islamic boarding school collapsed on them during afternoon prayers.

In one pocket of the mangled concrete of the collapsed century-old Al Khoziny boarding school, authorities located six children alive and were running food, water and oxygen to the trapped group.

But in total, at least 91 people remain missing, Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Authority (BPBD) said overnight.

Rescuers search for students trapped under the rubble of their school that collapsed in Sidoarjo, East Java, Indonesia.(Getty)

He added that rescuers saw several bodies under the rubble but were focused on saving those who were still alive, the AP reported.

“Although facing unstable building debris conditions and a lot of material at the site, the (joint rescue) team continues to try to evacuate victims prioritising safety,” he said in an updated statement.

Special units from the national search and rescue agency Basarnas arrived to help with the search on Tuesday, equipped with breathing apparatus, medical evacuation gear, and other extraction tools.

Teams with the Surabaya Fire and Rescue department have also deployed heavy duty rescue gear including “a sophisticated search camera capable of detecting victims among the rubble, and a heart rate monitor that can detect the heartbeat of survivors,” Rini told CNN.

More than 80 people managed to escape in the immediate aftermath of the collapse, and rescue teams have pulled a further 11 people from the building, Basarnas said. One person was found dead.

Three people were pulled alive from the rubble Tuesday, but two later died of their injuries in hospital, according to the agency.

An investigation has been launched into the cause of the collapse.

A fourth floor of the school was under construction at the time of the collapse, Syafii said, and as the building came down, all four floors stacked onto each other.

The prayer hall construction had been ongoing without a permit, the AP reported, citing local authorities.

“This is a wake-up call,” said Indonesian Religious Affairs minister Nasaruddin Umar, who visited the site, according to Indonesian news agency Antara.

“Many Islamic schools are built through community efforts without adequate technical supervision, which poses serious risks,” he said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Final search for Hong Kong fire survivors as apartment tower blaze death toll climbs

Last Efforts Underway to Find Survivors in Hong Kong Apartment Fire as Fatalities Rise

Firefighters in Hong Kong are meticulously combing through a high-rise residential complex,…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…
Remembering Virginia Giuffre: The woman who helped bring down Jeffery Epstein

Virginia Giuffre’s Modest Estate Details Emerge Amid Ongoing Court Battle

A legal dispute concerning the estate of Virginia Giuffre, known for accusing…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…
Teenager fighting for life, man injured after shopping centre stabbing

Teen in Critical Condition, Man Injured Following Stabbing Incident at Shopping Center

An adolescent of 16 is in critical condition and a 20-year-old sustained…
No one could escape these two words for weeks. Now Aussies are opting out

Aussies Opt Out of Viral Two-Word Craze Dominating Conversations for Weeks

Exclusive Insight: The phrase “Black Friday” has been ubiquitous, filling email inboxes…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…