Share this @internewscast.com
Alleged police killer Dezi Freeman, who is being pursued by law enforcement, might manage to avoid capture for an extended period, potentially lasting several weeks or even months, according to a prominent criminologist. This ongoing manhunt for the self-proclaimed sovereign citizen is now on its fifth day.
Freeman, formerly known as Desmond Filby, is a 56-year-old fugitive charged with allegedly killing two police officers and injuring another during an incident at his Porepunkah home in Victoria’s High Country on Tuesday.
Dr. Vincent Hurley, a criminologist and former negotiator with 30 years of experience in the NSW police force, suggested that Freeman might manage to stay hidden for some time, leveraging his familiarity with the terrain. However, he noted that the weather conditions could play to the police’s advantage.
“I suspect he won’t surrender willingly given the allegations of double homicide against him,” Dr. Hurley remarked during an interview on Weekend Today on Saturday.
‘And being that right-wing extremist, I don’t think it’s going to end well.’
Asked whether Freeman has the capability to evade police for weeks or even months, Dr Hurley said: ‘Absolutely because it’s his backyard’.
He added, “The challenges he faces include the weather conditions restricting his movement, and it depends on whether he has stashed supplies such as ammunition, food, or additional clothing.”
‘The weather conditions will wear him down, physically as well as psychologically, because he’ll be out there having no rest.’

The search for fugitive gunman Dezi Freeman (pictured), previously known as Desmond Filby, continued into its fifth day on Saturday

Image: Dr. Vincent Hurley, a criminologist and former NSW police officer, shared his view on Saturday that Freeman is unlikely to voluntarily exit his hideout.


Formerly Dezi Filby, Freeman is accused of killing Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35, on Tuesday
Tough conditions have impacted search efforts with thunderstorms, as rain and hail batter the rural town along with blizzard-like conditions on Saturday.
Dr Hurley suggested Freeman would ‘always be on edge’ believing that the police are watching him, adding ‘so the police have got the advantage at this point in time’.
‘He could well have a bunker or something stashed out there,’ he said.
‘(But) I would tend to think that, whilst it’s a possibility, possibly not because it would appear it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing.
‘That makes me think, as a former negotiator, that he doesn’t have anything out there. There’s a possibility but I tend to think not.’
There have been no confirmed sightings of Freeman since he fled into bushland near Porepunkah, about 300km northeast of Melbourne, on Tuesday morning.
Formerly Dezi Filby, he is accused of killing Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35.
It’s been revealed that 10 officers attended the property on Tuesday to execute a search warrant and to speak with Freeman about alleged sexual offences against a child under the age of 16.

Special tactics groups and other specialist police were briefed on the hunt for Freeman on Friday as weather and conditions made the search for the wanted man difficult

On Thursday night, Freeman’s wife Mali (pictured) and 16-year-old son were arrested at a home in Porepunkah. They were questioned by police before they were both released
Heavily-armed officers searched several properties and nearby bushland in the area on Thursday as the manhunt ramped up.
Police then issued a direct message to the fugitive gunman, with Superintendent Brett Kahan saying: ‘Ring 000 and we will provide a surrender plan.’
Dr Hurley said the video message was a strong strategy as it ensures Freeman knows there are options available to him and that ‘he’s not boxed in by police’.
‘That will play on his mind. It will give him an ‘out’, an open door so he can come out of his own free will, if he wishes,’ the criminologist said.
‘The police don’t want to close the door and say “this is what’s going to happen” without giving him options… whether he surrenders or not is entirely up to him.’
On Thursday night, Freeman’s wife Mali and 16-year-old son were arrested at a home in Porepunkah. They were questioned by police before being released.
‘There may or may not be charges that follow,’ Chief Commissioner Mike Bush said.

Porepunkah residents were urged to remain vigilant and avoid unnecessary travel
By speaking to the family, police would not only be trying to understand the psychology of Freeman but Dr Hurley said they would be trying to gather intelligence.
‘For example, (they might ask about) the firearm capacity that he might have, his state of mind, what actually triggered this event,’ he said.
‘That information will be passed on to the negotiators to get an understanding because, being a sovereign citizen, he’s (a) right-wing extremist.
‘That group of individuals are very much anti-police so they’ll be trying to work out his frame of mind.’
Porepunkah residents have been urged to remain vigilant and avoid unnecessary travel as the manhunt continues.