5.9k Share this

One of Australia’s most treasured family events is quickly earning a dark reputation after a teenager was killed during a brawl and a small boy almost fell from a ride.

The Sydney Royal Easter Show has been a favourite wholesome family event since it began in 1823. 

Tens of thousands of revellers flock to the showground every year to enjoy spine-tingling rides, wood-chopping, the animals, and of course, the famous showbags.

However, in recent years the annual event has become the back drop for scenes of violence. 

On Monday night, a 17-year-old boy was fatally stabbed in the chest during a brawl surrounded by carnival games. 

Footage captured by shocked witnesses shows two teenagers punching and kicking one another as families watched on in horror. 

A17-year-old boy has tragically died after being fatally stabbed in the chest at the Sydney Royal Easter Show on Monday night (pictured, paramedics at the scene)

A17-year-old boy has tragically died after being fatally stabbed in the chest at the Sydney Royal Easter Show on Monday night (pictured, paramedics at the scene)

 A17-year-old boy has tragically died after being fatally stabbed in the chest at the Sydney Royal Easter Show on Monday night (pictured, paramedics at the scene)

Confused show-goers were seen filing out of the Sydney Showground on Monday night as dozens of police officers cordoned off sections of the venue to continue investigations

Confused show-goers were seen filing out of the Sydney Showground on Monday night as dozens of police officers cordoned off sections of the venue to continue investigations

Confused show-goers were seen filing out of the Sydney Showground on Monday night as dozens of police officers cordoned off sections of the venue to continue investigations

The 17-year-old boy was taken to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition but died despite the efforts of paramedics who arrived on the scene at about 8pm. 

A 16-year-old boy who had been stabbed in the leg was taken to the same hospital in Sydney’s west where he remains in a stable condition.

In the footage, which was posted to social media, two young men can be seen exchanging a series of punches and kicks. 

The taller of the pair tried to send his knee into the other’s head as he was driven backwards before landing a series of punches in his abdomen. 

The smaller man retaliated by driving him backwards into a set of garbage bins before the taller man was joined by another man who also began to swing his fists.  

In a statement, NSW Police said the fight had started at the carnival ride section. 

‘Officers found two men suffering stab wounds, one critically injured,’ police said. 

‘A male was arrested nearby a short time later and will be taken to Auburn Police Station.’ 

Police and paramedics were called to the Easter Show just after 8pm on Monday, with riot squad vehicles also pictured at the scene

Police and paramedics were called to the Easter Show just after 8pm on Monday, with riot squad vehicles also pictured at the scene

Police and paramedics were called to the Easter Show just after 8pm on Monday, with riot squad vehicles also pictured at the scene

A teenage boy died after a stabbing at Sydney's Royal Easter Show on Monday night (pictured, another boy is arrested at the scene)

A teenage boy died after a stabbing at Sydney's Royal Easter Show on Monday night (pictured, another boy is arrested at the scene)

A teenage boy died after a stabbing at Sydney’s Royal Easter Show on Monday night (pictured, another boy is arrested at the scene) 

In a statement, NSW Police said the fight had started at the carnival ride section. Pictured is the scene on Monday night.

In a statement, NSW Police said the fight had started at the carnival ride section. Pictured is the scene on Monday night.

In a statement, NSW Police said the fight had started at the carnival ride section. Pictured is the scene on Monday night.

Confused attendees were seen filing out of the venue on Monday night as police officers cordoned off sections of the venue to investigate.

The fatal stabbing comes after the 2021 Easter Show saw an all-out brawl erupt among terrified families with two people stabbed in the chaos. 

An 18-year-old boy was treated for lacerations to his shin while a 17-year-old boy was treated for lacerations to his lower legs, luckily neither injury proving fatal. 

The annual show is held for around two weeks over the Easter period and was first held in 1823. Pictured is show-goers enjoying a carnival ride on Monday

The annual show is held for around two weeks over the Easter period and was first held in 1823. Pictured is show-goers enjoying a carnival ride on Monday

The annual show is held for around two weeks over the Easter period and was first held in 1823. Pictured is show-goers enjoying a carnival ride on Monday

Tens of thousands of keen attendees made the most of the hot weather and descended on the Sydney Showground for some family fun

Tens of thousands of keen attendees made the most of the hot weather and descended on the Sydney Showground for some family fun

Tens of thousands of keen attendees made the most of the hot weather and descended on the Sydney Showground for some family fun

There were also reports of gangs of youths wreaking havoc on the final night of Sydney’s Royal Easter Show last year.

Dozens of teenagers were filmed by onlookers running away from cops in a series of confronting videos uploaded to TikTok.

In another shocking video, a group of at least 20 men were seen brawling on the middle of the promenade inside the showground.

A third video taken by a bystander showed an officer from Auburn Police Area Command pointing his pepper spray at a group of out of control youths. 

Despite the hot weather and overall cheer, just hours later the showground would become the back drop of a fatal stabbing

Despite the hot weather and overall cheer, just hours later the showground would become the back drop of a fatal stabbing

Despite the hot weather and overall cheer, just hours later the showground would become the back drop of a fatal stabbing 

The fatal brawl comes just hours after the Easter Show was thrust into the spotlight after a four-year-old autistic boy was left unrestrained on a popular kids’ ride. 

Tristan Curtis was on the ‘Free Fall’ ride on Sunday afternoon when horrified onlookers rushed to alert operators that his restraint had not locked into place. 

Photos circulated online show Tristan on the ride with the restraint – which should be locked downward before the ride begins – still open above his head. Other children sitting next to him all had their restraints firmly secured.

The ride was closed on Monday, but shocked parents told Daily Mail Australia the near-catastrophe made them re-think the rides they would allow their kids to enjoy.

Pamela, who has young children and works at the Laughing Clowns, claims there are many rides she will never allow her children to go on as they are too risky.

The 26-year-old has been working at carnivals for years and said the accident should be a wake-up call to ride operators. 

Pamela, (pictured) who has young children and works at the Laughing Clowns, claims there are many rides she will never allow her children to go on as they are too risky

Pamela, (pictured) who has young children and works at the Laughing Clowns, claims there are many rides she will never allow her children to go on as they are too risky

Pamela, (pictured) who has young children and works at the Laughing Clowns, claims there are many rides she will never allow her children to go on as they are too risky

Tristan Curtis was on the 'Free Fall' ride on Sunday afternoon (pictured) when horrified onlookers rushed to alert operators that his restraint had not locked into place

Tristan Curtis was on the 'Free Fall' ride on Sunday afternoon (pictured) when horrified onlookers rushed to alert operators that his restraint had not locked into place

Tristan Curtis was on the ‘Free Fall’ ride on Sunday afternoon (pictured) when horrified onlookers rushed to alert operators that his restraint had not locked into place

Tristan's mother, Sky Boustani Curtis, (pictured) watch on in horror as the near disaster unfolded and another parent was forced to get her son down

Tristan's mother, Sky Boustani Curtis, (pictured) watch on in horror as the near disaster unfolded and another parent was forced to get her son down

Tristan’s mother, Sky Boustani Curtis, (pictured) watch on in horror as the near disaster unfolded and another parent was forced to get her son down

Pamela said she did safety training with a lot of the ride operators at the Show, and that safety is the first thing you check.

‘Even if you think you’ve checked, you double check. Triple check,’ she said.

‘Thank god nothing happened to that child, but it shouldn’t have been in that position. I don’t understand how that happens.’

On the Royal Easter Show website, the Free Fall is advertised as being ‘ideal for the young thrill seeker’.

‘A controlled drop that simulates the fear of falling – with a gentle stop bringing them back to safety,’ the website says. 

Tristan’s mother, Sky Boustani Curtis, was forced to watch on in horror as the near disaster unfolded.

She recalled the terrifying moments her son remained suspended several metres in the air before another father helped the the little boy down from his seat.

Tristan's mother has recalled the terrifying moments her son remained suspended several metres in the air on the 'Free Fall' ride (pictured)

Tristan's mother has recalled the terrifying moments her son remained suspended several metres in the air on the 'Free Fall' ride (pictured)

Tristan’s mother has recalled the terrifying moments her son remained suspended several metres in the air on the ‘Free Fall’ ride (pictured)

Pictured right is the four-year-old's sister Kaylie and father Nathan and pictured left is Curtis and his mother Sky

Pictured right is the four-year-old's sister Kaylie and father Nathan and pictured left is Curtis and his mother Sky

Pictured right is the four-year-old’s sister Kaylie and father Nathan and pictured left is Curtis and his mother Sky 

'The lady put me up with no seatbelt. Someone lift me down,' Tristan said of the experience

'The lady put me up with no seatbelt. Someone lift me down,' Tristan said of the experience

‘The lady put me up with no seatbelt. Someone lift me down,’ Tristan said of the experience

‘The (operator) girl stopped the ride but didn’t get out of her booth so another father ended up getting him to climb down to him,’ Mrs Curtis told the Daily Telegraph.

‘Myself and my husband were not tall enough to reach him. They simply did not pull his harness down, didn’t check him.’ 

Mrs Curtis said her son has ADHD and autism and it was ‘difficult’ to know how Tristan was feeling following the harrowing ordeal. 

‘The lady put me up with no seatbelt. Someone lift me down,’ Tristan told 7NEWS. 

A witness to the scary ordeal said the operator had ‘no idea’ the boy wasn’t secured. 

‘They hit emergency stop but it seems like the operator couldn’t bring the ride down and someone actually had to go up there and have his son jump into his arms,’ Eva Levy recalled. ‘Onlookers had to scream for the ride to be stopped.’

Show organisers have launched an urgent investigation into the incident.

‘The safety of patrons at the Show is paramount and we have shut down the kids’ Free Fall ride following a reported issue with a harness,’ a show spokeswoman said.

In recent years the annual show has become the back drop for darker scenes of violence

In recent years the annual show has become the back drop for darker scenes of violence

In recent years the annual show has become the back drop for darker scenes of violence

This year the show is celebrating 200 years of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (pictured, brave show-goers enjoy a death-defying ride on Monday)

This year the show is celebrating 200 years of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (pictured, brave show-goers enjoy a death-defying ride on Monday)

This year the show is celebrating 200 years of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (pictured, brave show-goers enjoy a death-defying ride on Monday)

‘The safety systems of the ride functioned well to prevent any injury occurring and the ride will not operate again until a full investigation has been completed and the ride has been approved by specialist engineers.’

Under instruction from Fair Trading Minister Eleni Petinos, SafeWork NSW will investigate whether the ride should remain closed for the rest of the show.

Ms Petinos said she has a zero tolerance approach towards any ride operator who fails to provide the highest possible safety standards.

‘I can confirm that I have instructed SafeWork NSW to explore shutting the Free Fall ride for the remainder of the 2022 Sydney Royal Easter Show if patron’s safety cannot be guaranteed,’ the minister said in a statement.

‘Safety is my number one priority and any operator who fails to provide the highest level of safety standards should face severe consequences and that is why I’ve instructed SafeWork NSW to explore all available avenues.’ 

Source: DailyMail

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Former TN Nurse Gets Three Years Probation for Fatal Medication Error

A Tennessee judge sentenced former nurse RaDonda Vaught to three years probation…

The Bud McFarlane I Knew

Here’s how The New York Times wrote up the passing of a…

DANIEL JOHNSON: Boris has shown he’s a far better European than any of his snide Continental critics

On Wednesday, Boris Johnson signed mutual security pacts with both Sweden and…

Netanyahu Gloats as Prosecution Stumbles: ‘In Your Face’

Former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gloated Monday as the prosecution in…

Joe Biden Crashes to New Low of Just 39% Approval Rating

How low can President Joe Biden go in the public’s estimation? Voters…

Mika makes a double blunder while hosting Eurovision as Graham Norton leaps in to correct him 

Mika is left red faced as he makes double blunder while hosting…

Russia has LOST the battle for Ukraine’s second largest city Kharkiv after bombarding it for weeks

Russian forces are giving up on Ukraine’s second city of Kharkiv and…

Ukrainian Archbishop Decries Russia’s Fake ‘De-Nazification’ War

ROME — Ukrainian Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk has denounced Vladimir Putin’s sham…