5.9k Share this
Megan Brouwer was hiking with her family on Sunday when she was bitten by Australia’s most venomous snake.
“I turned around and saw it slithering off and thought ‘gee, that was a close call’ and he said ‘no it was actually on your feet and it was striking at you’,” Ms Brouwer told 9news.
“I had a puncture wound and some fresh blood and had a bit of a panic then of what to do.
“The fact there just happened to be an off-duty doctor there at that exact moment is so incredibly lucky.”
The doctor, armed with a first aid kid and a satellite phone, raised the alarm with emergency crews, and so began the mammoth seven-hour rescue from the bottom of one of WA’s steepest gorges.
Ms Brouwer’s five-year-old son watched the daring mission unfold.
The young mum was floated across three pools of water before rescuers had the difficult task of lifting her up a steep narrow path lined with loose rock.
“I couldn’t really fathom how they were going to get me up there in a stretcher but they did,” she said.
The 36-year-old wants others to know the importance of having a first aid kit on hikes.
“Me and my family thank you all, we are eternally grateful.”