'African tribe' faces eviction from forest after court order

A self-proclaimed African tribe have said they are ‘not scared of jail’ after a court ordered them off their woodland encampment.

Kofi Offeh, 36, originally from Ghana, and Jean Gasho, 43, from Zimbabwe, have been residing in tents in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, since May, accompanied by their 21-year-old American ‘handmaiden,’ Kaura Taylor.

During a brief six-minute hearing at Jedburgh Sheriff Court today, Sheriff Peter Patterson ordered an ‘immediate extraction’ of the self-proclaimed Kingdom of Kubala.

This order requires the group to vacate the private property located behind an industrial estate on the town’s outskirts. It is understood that court officers and police are prepared to enforce this directive.

Mr Offeh, who calls himself King Atehene, said the trio were ‘not afraid’ of the warrant for their eviction and ‘not scared of jail’.

From their encampment, where they’ve been living in simple second-hand tents for weeks, the group expressed that they feel supported by a divine presence, stating: ‘The creator of the heavens and the Earth is the one with us.’

‘And we are not afraid of whatever the court – the so-called court – has granted.’

Journalists who visited their camp informed the trio of the eviction ruling, as they were not represented in court during the proceedings.

Self-styled King Ateheme, real name Kofi Offeh

Self-styled King Ateheme, real name Kofi Offeh

A copy of the court order delivered to camp

A copy of the court order delivered to camp

News of their eviction is broken to the tribe

News of their eviction is broken to the tribe 

Mr Offeh said: ‘If we must go, the creator will find us another place to go.’

As part of Sheriff Patterson’s order the so-called tribe have been told to pay costs, but the self-ennobled king said: ‘We have no money.

‘We do not use any currency, they can take it from our donations.

‘We are not scared of jail.’

Responding to suggestions his “fantasy” is coming to an end, he said: “It is not a fantasy, it is a prophecy.

“We walk through prophecy and we live it as it comes.”

The group later sang and chanted in the woodland.

The Kingdom of Kubala have claimed to be victims of historic displacement because their ancestors were forced out of the Highlands 400 years ago.

The group claims they returned to Scotland to reclaim their ancestral homeland after Queen Elizabeth I ordered the removal of the ‘black Jacobites’ in 1596.

They have divided opinion among local residents.

Some have left ‘offerings’ of Irn-Bru and shortbread, while others have branded them ‘delusional’.

They have camped out in the woods for the past month after being shifted from nearby land owned by Scottish Borders Council.

The court action was brought after the group ignored a previous eviction notice, which instructed them to leave their encampment by 5pm on Monday.

During the short hearing, lawyer Conner McConnell, acting on behalf of land owners David and Mary Palmer, lodged an action for the ‘removal of the unauthorised occupiers’ from woods known as Darnic Parklands on the outskirts of Jedburgh.

Jedburgh Sheriff Court where a sheriff ordered the tribe's eviction

Jedburgh Sheriff Court where a sheriff ordered the tribe’s eviction

Queen Nandi and handmaiden Asnat at the wooded campsite

Queen Nandi and handmaiden Asnat at the wooded campsite

King Atehene and Queen Nandi with their handmaiden Asnat, seated

King Atehene and Queen Nandi with their handmaiden Asnat, seated 

Sheriff Peter Paterson said: ‘I am happy to grant decree forcing the eviction from the property.’

The ruling included the ‘immediate extraction’ from the land and the award of expenses against the ‘tribe’ members to cover the costs of the sheriff officers.

Earlier, Jedburgh councillor Scott Hamilton said the landowner had been left with ‘no option’ but to seek an order from the sheriff.

He said: ‘The group of campers have clearly ignored the ultimatum given by the sheriff officers on Friday September 5.

‘This is disappointing but I can’t say it isn’t surprising given the group’s previous behaviour.

‘They now leave the landowner no option but to apply for a warrant and interdict.

‘The council will be supporting the landowner through the next steps and all the additional safety measures will remain in place until this situation is resolved.

‘Whilst this next stage of the eviction process plays out please can I remind people not to engage with this group.’

You May Also Like

JD Vance Faces Major Warning Sign as New Poll Shows Democrat Crushing Him

Jon Ossoff is emerging as one of the strongest-performing Democrats in a…

Iran Protest Survivor Raheleh Amiri Blasts ‘Screaming Mary’ Son’s Bid to Remain in US

An Iranian-born activist who lost an eye after being shot by Iran’s…

New York Tornado, Waterspout Cripple 3 Major Airports

Powerful storms swept across New York on Thursday evening, bringing a dramatic…

Rubio Leads Vance in 2028 Poll vs Newsom, Harris and AOC

Secretary of State Marco Rubio is running ahead of Vice President JD…

Green Activist On Board Claimed Labour Is More Evil Than Iran

A newly elected member of the Green Party Council has claimed Labour…

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Off Boyfriend Speaks Out After Brother Jansen’s Tragic Death

Brian Hickerson, the on-and-off boyfriend of Hayden Panettiere, has issued a statement…

Susie Wiles Protégé Sparks Chaos as Dirty Secret Emerges

Donald Trump scarcely recognized the name of the young operative helping staff…

Karmelo Anthony Case: Alleged Blood-Licking Knife Fantasy Revealed

Prosecutors say convicted killer Karmelo Anthony had written about a violent fantasy…

Amazon Drone Delivery Expansion Targets 500 U.S. Cities

Amazon is preparing a major expansion of its drone delivery program that…

Ukrainian Woman Sees Grandson’s Body Pulled From Rubble After Strike

A grandmother’s grief as rescuers recovered her grandson’s body from the ruins…

Belgium’s Prince Laurent Confirms Secret Son Clément Vandenkerckhove

A Belgian car salesman has gained a royal title after Prince Laurent…

NFL Slams Teams With $500K Fines Each After Massive Practice Brawl

The NFL has fined both the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints…