Israel-Lebanon Peace Talks to Resume in Rome Under Renewed Diplomatic Focus - Internewscast Journal
Israel-Lebanon Peace Talks to Resume in Rome Under Renewed Diplomatic Focus

A new round of U.S.-mediated negotiations between Israel and Lebanon is set to take place in Rome from Aug. 4 to 6, a U.S. State Department official said, pointing to what Washington views as “significant momentum” heading into the next phase of talks.

“We are entering these discussions with significant momentum following the successful launch of the first pilot zone in southern Lebanon and President Aoun’s productive meeting with President Trump last week,” the official said, according to JNS correspondent Mike Wagenheim.

According to the official, technical delegations gathering in the Italian capital will work to move forward with the full implementation of the trilateral framework agreement. The agenda is expected to include the expansion of pilot zones, efforts to settle unresolved border issues and steps toward a broader peace and security accord.

“The first pilot zone is a concrete opportunity to deliver real progress on the ground, restoring Lebanese state authority through the verifiable disarmament of terrorist organizations and building the confidence needed for next steps,” the official added.

The official described the framework as “the only path to lasting peace,” adding that the Trump administration remains committed to seeing the process succeed.

Israeli Ambassador to the United States Yechiel Leiter confirmed to JNS that talks would resume on Aug. 4, following the sixth negotiating round held in Rome earlier this month. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani also informed parliament that the next session would begin in Rome on that date.

The Rome discussions come after earlier U.S.-brokered meetings in Washington, where Israeli and Lebanese representatives reached a framework agreement on June 26 during the fifth round of negotiations.

The 14-point Israel-Lebanon Trilateral Framework Agreement includes provisions calling for Hezbollah’s disarmament. Israel has maintained that any full withdrawal of its forces will depend on the removal of the threat posed by the Iranian-backed terror group.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun met with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House on July 21, with Trump pledging to support Lebanon’s efforts to restore stability and expressing hope that the country will eventually join the Abraham Accords.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Fiancée and Six Kids Left Heartbroken After Dad Is Killed

A military veteran and father of six has died following a workplace…

Portland Faces Asbestos Cloud Risk in Historic Mill Demolition

A 116-year-old Portland mill contaminated with asbestos is slated for demolition, alarming…

Chris Hansen on Robert Pattinson’s To Catch a Predator Film

Chris Hansen, the longtime face of To Catch a Predator, is addressing…

Lindsay Clancy’s Mother Testifies in Emotional Murder Trial

Lindsay Clancy became visibly emotional in court, wiping away tears as her…

Alleged Killer Nick Reiner Seeks Access to Trust Fund in Court Request

Nick Reiner, the 32-year-old son of Rob and Michele Reiner who is…

Hayden Panettiere’s Future Hopes Before Family Tragedy Struck

Hayden Panettiere had spoken with hope about the road ahead while promoting…

Benefit Claimants Could Receive Therapy Instead of Cash Under Welfare Reform Proposals

Britons receiving benefits could be offered non-cash help, including therapy or nutritious…

Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Fans Mourn Beloved Star

Hayden Panettiere, the actress who rose from child stardom to become a…

Finance Book Author and CEO Jailed for $380M Fraud Scheme

The head of a purported real estate investment firm — and author…

Newsom Wildfire Plan Sparks California Insurance Rate Revolt

California Gov. Gavin Newsom is drawing backlash over a new wildfire liability…

Iran Offered $30,000 Bounties to Kill or Capture U.S. Soldiers, Army Chief Says

Iran’s top military commander has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who…

Trump Orders Pentagon to Scale Back South Korea War Games

President Donald Trump said Sunday that he has directed the Pentagon to…