Jacksonville City Council votes to overturn Mayor Deegan's veto against 29% trash rate hike
Share this @internewscast.com

The council voted 14-4 to overturn the mayor’s veto.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Jacksonville City Council voted to overturn Mayor Donna Deegan’s veto during a Tuesday meeting, adopting an ordinance that would increase the cost of trash pickup for taxpayers by 29% while services remain the same.

Council members voted to overturn the mayor’s veto, 14-4. Council members Matt Carlucci, Tyrona Clark-Murray, Rahman Johnson and Jimmy Peluso were the four no votes.

The vote comes a day after Deegan issued the first veto of her administration against the bill, which would give the city’s trash hauler, Meridian Waste, an increase amounting to an extra $4 million per year for the next three years. 

“The City Council superseded the work of the committee, ignored the Council Auditor’s advice and substantially increased the rate to $22.39 rather than the aforementioned rate recommended by the rate committee,” the mayor’s veto states. 

The mayor’s office and city council auditors supported a 5% increase per household per month, which would amount to $18.29. This cost would be paid by the city. The 5% increase would also be within the rates agreed on by Meridian Waste in its contract with the city.

At Tuesday’s meeting, the mayor’s chief of staff stood behind their recommendation of just a 5% increase, not the council’s 29% increase. 

“We don’t have any intention to follow through with the recommendation from the council,” said Mike Weinstein. “The council appropriates, we spend.”

Council needed 2/3 of the council members to vote in favor of overturning the veto. Just last month, a majority of council members voted to approve the vetoed bill, and Tuesday night, many of them sang the same tune as they voted to overturn the mayor’s veto. 

“Vetoing $4 million is basically kicking my district to the curb,” said Council member Mike Gay.

“Yesterday’s veto, it shows a disdain for city council, for this legislative body,” said Council member Nick Howland.

“My vote back then was yes. My vote now is yes,” said Council member Ken Amaro.

“I ask everyone to vote yes and then we’ll deal with the inevitable lawsuit if the mayor insists on going down this road and wasting everyone’s time,” said Council member Rory Diamond. 

Others sided with the mayor, like Council member Tyrona Clark-Murray.

“I am going to support our mayor in regard to this particular bill,” she said.

As Council members came to a vote of 14-4, some wanted the attention to be brought back to the trash workers, who they said are in need of the increased pay.

“It’s not about a veto, who has more power to me,” said Councilman Raul Arias. “It’s about doing what’s right for our community and those workers who are doing the job that many would not do.” 

In a statement Monday, the mayor’s office said if city council decides to override Deegan’s veto, the administration will not agree to pay the “super-sized” trash rate increase and will seek to remedy the trash hauler rate review process moving forward.

On Tuesday, while speaking with reporters before the city council’s vote, Deegan said the city will not pay the increase and they are prepared to get the General Counsel involved if legal action is taken by Meridian Waste. 

Following the vote, Johnson released a statement calling for both city council and the mayor’s office to better communicate and work in the best interest of Jacksonville residents.

“The core of this issue lies in a failure to communicate effectively,” Johnson wrote in part. “I voted to uphold the mayor’s veto because the foundation of this issue cannot be ignored. Nevertheless, I believe that the General Counsel’s opinion is flawed. I must also emphasize that the Mayor’s Office bears significant responsibility for the poor handling of this legislation. Had there been earlier and more effective communication, this situation—and the uncertainty it brings—could have been prevented.”

Right now, homeowners pay $12.50 per month for trash collection. This rate has not been increased since 2010. 

The mayor’s office says Meridian Waste told city council it would continue to provide service whether the company received additional money or not. Taxpayers will not see any additional services despite the rate increase.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Lady Victoria Hervey’s Critical Remarks on Virginia Giuffre Highlight How Prince Andrew’s Supporters are Exploiting the Situation and Overlooking the Harsh Reality: By Bryony Gordon

Even by social media’s ever-plummeting standards, it was an extraordinarily mean-spirited post.…

Organizers of HBCU Beach Day claim they were deceived after their permit request is rejected

“It’s historical for the Black community,” organizer Tyree Jackson said. “Our overall…

Tragic Incident at Track Meet: One Student Stabbed to Death, Another Charged with Murder

The student who died was identified as 17-year-old Austin Metcalf. He attended…

First Glimpse of Luca Guadagnino’s ‘After The Hunt’ Reveals Julia Roberts, Andrew Garfield & Ayo Edebiri in a Campus Dilemma at CinemaCon

Luca Guadagnino, Ayo Edebiri and Andrew Garfield flew into Vegas today to…

Cuts in Funding Impact Measles Vaccination Clinics

() — As the country faces a deadly measles outbreak, funding cuts…

Trump Introduces $5 Million ‘Gold Card’ Visa for Ultra-Wealthy, Promises Availability in Two Weeks

PRESIDENT Donald Trump has introduced a new $5 million “gold card” visa…

FIFA President Hints at U.S. Hosting 2031 Women’s World Cup, UK to Host 2035 Edition

FIFA’s president also announced some big news regarding changes for soccer at…

2025 Margaret Mead Film Festival Lineup Unveiled: Featuring Sundance Winner ‘Seeds,’ ‘Viktor,’ ‘The Shepherd And The Bear,’ Plus Additional Films

EXCLUSIVE: The Margaret Mead Film Festival – the longest-running documentary showcase in…

Police report discovery of deceased man in vehicle at Regency-area shopping center

The man was suffering from gunshot wounds. JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A man…

Urgent Search for Missing 5-Year-Old Girl Kidnapped from South Side

CHICAGO — A search is underway for a child who police say…

The Documentary ‘The Track’ on Sarajevo Luger Travels from Bosnia to Film Festivals in San Francisco and Toronto

EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Sidhoo’s documentary The Track has lined up its next two…

CinemaCon Unveils BTS Clip Featuring Blonde Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man in ‘Masters Of The Universe’

The Travis Knight-directed take on Masters of the Universe showed off a…