Reporters Turn in Their Badges over Recent Pentagon Press Rules

The deadline set by the Pentagon for journalists to agree to its new press access guidelines has come and gone, with most major media outlets opting to relinquish their credentials rather than comply with the revised policy. On Wednesday, reporters from numerous prominent organizations were observed departing the Pentagon as the newly implemented rules took effect.

The Department of War’s updated press access policy, which required journalists to acknowledge an understanding of access and information-gathering regulations by Tuesday, saw non-compliant reporters clearing out their Pentagon offices by the following morning.

“Today, the Defense Department confiscated the badges of the Pentagon reporters from virtually every major media organization in America. It did this because reporters would not sign onto a new media policy over its implicit threat of criminalizing national security reporting and exposing those who sign it to potential prosecution,” the Pentagon Press Association wrote.

Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell addressed the controversy on Monday, stating, “The policy merely requests acknowledgment, not agreement. The resulting backlash, with reporters claiming victimhood online, is unwarranted. We stand firm on our policy as it prioritizes our troops and national security.”

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said, “You would think that the Pentagon press corps, of all press corps, would be front and center across the board on wanting to give credit to the President for forging this kind of peace, and instead, what they want to talk about is a policy about them.”

Parnell further elaborated, suggesting that the policy might align with protocols at the White House and other military sites, where press members wear identifiable badges and have restricted access. “Previously, the press could access almost any area within the Pentagon, arguably the most secure facility globally,” he remarked.

He continued, “By agreeing to the credentialing, journalists commit to not encouraging soldiers to unlawfully disclose classified information. It’s common sense aimed at safeguarding national security, and we take pride in this measure.”

White House Director of Communications Steven Cheung posted on X that “a few reporters on this wall have privately said they were bullied into participating in the walkout when they actually wanted to stay. They were physically confronted and threatened with retaliation if they didn’t join the protest.”

This development follows major media institutions, including The Washington Post, The New York Times, Reuters, The Atlantic, CNN, and NPR, announcing their refusal to sign the updated access agreement earlier this week. Concerns were raised that the new rules might hinder journalistic reporting and obscure the critical balance between national security and public accountability.

The policy, finalized in September, requires credentialed journalists to sign an “in-brief” form acknowledging information security procedures, escort requirements, and limits on movement within the Pentagon. The Department of War maintains that the rules do not restrict reporting activities or require preapproval of coverage, but journalists argue that the language could expose them to potential retaliation or prosecution for pursuing unauthorized information.

You May Also Like

NYC Teaching Assistants to Receive $10K Pay Raise as Bill Becomes Law Without Zohran Mamdani’s Signature

A measure that would raise pay for New York City teaching assistants…

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Already Have New Home Lined Up

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are said to have quietly lined up…

Fatal Attraction Icon Glenn Close, 78, Stuns Fans With Glamorous New Look

Anne Archer, the Oscar-nominated actress who helped define one of the biggest…

Human Error Blamed for Largest-Ever Cyberattack on Charity Sector

A suspected “major human mistake” is believed to have set off what…

Trump Aide’s Scottish Love Letters Revealed in New Report

Private correspondence from Donald Trump’s longtime personal secretary has drawn fresh attention,…

Trump Aide Caught in Foul-Mouthed Explosion During Meltdown

It was the sort of spotlight Washington usually directs at presidents, celebrities…

Harry and Meghan Face Soaring Costs to Keep Montecito Mansion

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle may have to consider selling their Montecito…

Taylor Sheridan Cancels Yellowstone Spinoff, Shocking Fans

Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan has confirmed that the long-rumored 6666 spin-off is…

Harry and Meghan’s UK Sussex Squad: Loyal Allies Revealed

A familiar cast of loyal friends, society figures and royal relatives could…

US Secretly Escorts Millions of Oil Barrels Through Strait of Hormuz in High-Stakes Operation

The US has quietly helped move millions of barrels of oil each…

Largest Atlantic Great White on Record Reveals New Location

The largest male great white shark ever documented in the Atlantic has…

Missing Sydney Bushwalker Lily Hooper Found Dead

The family of missing hiker Lily Hooper suffered an agonising few minutes…