Sydney Swans Coach Responds to Alleged Hotel Assault Probe - Internewscast Journal
Sydney Swans Coach Responds to Alleged Hotel Assault Probe

Sydney Swans coach Dean Cox has publicly addressed the situation surrounding several senior players who spoke with police after an alleged sexual assault was reported just days before the AFL finals, saying he is “extremely disappointed” by the development.

Victoria Police were called to the Pullman East Melbourne hotel on Monday morning following reports of an alleged sexual assault.

The Swans had been staying at the hotel after defeating Essendon by 36 points at the MCG on Sunday, a result that secured second place on the AFL ladder and locked in a home qualifying final at the SCG.

Daily Mail does not allege that any Sydney players are under investigation or have engaged in wrongdoing, only that they were spoken to by police in relation to the alleged incident.

Cox faced questions from television reporters when he arrived at the Swans’ Moore Park headquarters shortly after 7am on Tuesday, with the club holding urgent internal talks as the matter unfolded.

“Yeah, obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened and I understand the questions,” Cox said.

“We’ll update as we gather more information.”

Sydney Swans coach Dean Cox has broken his silence to express bitter disappointment after several players were caught up in an alleged sexual assault days out from the AFL finals

Sydney Swans coach Dean Cox has spoken for the first time, expressing disappointment after several players were drawn into inquiries linked to an alleged sexual assault days before the AFL finals

Sydney Swans star Isaac Heeney was one of five players who spoke to police on Monday

Sydney Swans star Isaac Heeney was one of five players who spoke to police on Monday

Club officials will discuss whether the players should be stood down for this Sunday’s final round clash against North Melbourne – sanctions which could extend into the final series.

Potential punishments could leave the Swans without several of its biggest stars for the rest of the season, which could destroy their premiership hopes.

‘We’re working our way through everything with the AFL and relevant parties,’ Cox said.

‘We will update when we get more information.’ 

Cox was also asked whether he had yet spoken to his players.

‘We’ll speak as the day unfolds,’ he replied.

Swans captain Callum Mills was also grilled when he arrived at the club two hours later.

‘I can’t comment on it. We don’t know the facts. It’s as simple as that,’ he said.

Swans officials will decide in the coming days whether any players will be stood down. Pictured is Chad Warner celebrating with fans after Sunday night's win against Essendon

Swans officials will decide in the coming days whether any players will be stood down. Pictured is Chad Warner celebrating with fans after Sunday night’s win against Essendon

Riley Bice was among five Swans players who spoke to police on Monday. No charges have been laid

 Riley Bice was among five Swans players who spoke to police on Monday. No charges have been laid

Investigations continue into the alleged incident at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel

Investigations continue into the alleged incident at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel

It is understood that the majority of the Swans squad made the nine hour drive home on Monday to avoid the waiting media pack at the airport. 

Witnesses claimed that two women approached hotel staff about 7am Monday to request they be let into a guest room.

One of the women was ‘hysterical’ as she described being ‘touched’ and overwhelmed by several men in one of the rooms.

Witnesses claimed both women became ‘agitated’ when told by staff they couldn’t return to the room and confronted team officials, including Cox, in the foyer, who witnesses said looked stunned.

The ‘upset’ woman reportedly ran to a hotel toilet crying shortly before police were called.

A third woman later attended the hotel and the trio claimed to have footage of the alleged assault.

Unconfirmed claims were also reported that a Swans player had thrown a sex toy which struck a woman in the back of the head, causing her to fall forward.

Victoria Police earlier said they were investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault. Detectives have since requested CCTV from the hotel.

The AFL Integrity Unit confirmed it was also investigating the alleged incident.

Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich said the team was working with AFL and relevant authorities. 

Dean Cox will speak to Swans players on Tuesday as the day unfolds. Pictured is James Jordon

Dean Cox will speak to Swans players on Tuesday as the day unfolds. Pictured is James Jordon

Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich on Monday addressed the allegations which have rocked the club

Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich on Monday addressed the allegations which have rocked the club

‘We’re still piecing together exactly what has transpired here and have our own set of internal enquiries ongoing,’ he said on Monday.

‘But it’s safe to say we’re extremely shocked and disappointed.

‘We understand the level of interest in the matter and there is going to be lots of speculation. But given it is a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.’

The club has also launched an internal investigation into claims that players were out late in Melbourne drinking alcohol until after midnight, which could result in additional sanctions.

The AFL has delayed unveiling the All-Australian squad until next Monday due to the alleged scandal.

Heeney and Warner were tipped to be named in the All-Australian squad after stellar seasons. 

Daily Mail does not suggest any of the players are under investigation or involved in any wrongdoing, just that they spoke to police about the alleged incident. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Premier League Returns: De Zerbi, 100-Club Chases and New Rules

The Premier League is almost back, and a new campaign brings fresh…

Everton Transfer Briefing: Iliman Ndiaye Price Tag, Jack Grealish Doubt and Moyes’ Midfield Plan

Whatever your view of the Prime Minister, there are moments when he…