Starmer backs 'goal' of stopping Iran getting nukes amid US threats
Share this @internewscast.com

Keir Starmer today expressed his support for the objective of preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, amidst escalating threats from Donald Trump regarding potential UK military action.

The Prime Minister emphasized the importance of Western allies addressing Iran’s violent suppression of protests.

Meanwhile, the US President has been increasing military presence in the region, urging Tehran to agree to a deal that would see it abandon its nuclear ambitions and put an end to the crackdown on political dissent.

During his visit to China, Sir Keir condemned the Iranian regime’s treatment of demonstrators, calling it “grotesque” and reaffirming that it remains a primary focus.

“The aim here is to ensure that Iran does not develop nuclear weapons, which is of significant importance,” Starmer told the BBC. “Additionally, we must confront the reality of their repression and killing of protesters.”

Keir Starmer backed the 'goal' of stopping Iran getting nuclear weapons today as Donald Trump ramps up threats of UK strikes

Keir Starmer backed the ‘goal’ of stopping Iran getting nuclear weapons today as Donald Trump ramps up threats of UK strikes

Mr Trump has being building military forces in the region, demanding Tehran agrees a deal to abandon its nuclear programme and end 'senseless killing' of political opponents

Mr Trump has being building military forces in the region, demanding Tehran agrees a deal to abandon its nuclear programme and end ‘senseless killing’ of political opponents

He further stated, “What is happening is grotesque, and that is where our efforts are concentrated. We are collaborating with our allies to address these issues.”

Pressed on whether the UK would support a future US strike on the country, he said: ‘I am saying we support the goal and we are talking to allies about how we get to that goal.’

The US president said on Wednesday a ‘massive armada’ – led by the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln – had been dispatched to the Middle East.

He warned that Tehran must ‘come to the table’ to make a ‘fair and equitable deal,’ including abandoning its nuclear weapons programme, or ‘the next attack will be far worse’.

Within the country, thousands of people have been killed in recent weeks as the Iranian authorities have responded to protests in cities across the country with a brutal crackdown.

The numbers of those who have died and been injured are not easy to estimate because of an ongoing internet blackout in Iran.

US-based organisation Human Rights Activists in Iran, also known by the initials of its news agency HRANA, believes the number of confirmed deaths is 6,126, of which 5,777 were protesters.

In response, the European Union announced earlier this week it would add the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps to its list of terrorist organisations – a move which prompted renewed calls for the UK to do the same.

Then-home secretary Yvette Cooper announced last May that powers would be created to proscribe state-backed groups if they are deemed to pose a threat to Britain after recommendations by terror watchdog Jonathan Hall KC.

Government sources have said the proposed laws will be introduced as soon as parliamentary time allows, but have not been drawn on which specific groups might be banned.

Downing Street refused to be drawn on whether serious consideration had been given to proscribing the IRGC in particular when asked by journalists on Friday.

‘It’s the long-standing position of successive governments that we don’t comment on matters related to proscription,’ a No 10 spokesman said.

The official said the UK was prepared to impose more sanctions if the crackdown persists and ‘continues to work with our international partners to tackle the threats posed by Iran’.

Shadow foreign secretary Priti Patel on Thursday called on the Government to take action against the group.

A woman walks past a propaganda poster condemning the US in Tehran this week

A woman walks past a propaganda poster condemning the US in Tehran this week 

‘The brutality of the Tehran regime is an affront to humanity. Thousands slaughtered, many more injured and tortured, and show trials continuing, all while Iran sponsors terrorism and threatens regional security,’ she said.

‘The Labour Government’s silence on the IRGC is appalling. We have said that we would work with them to bring forward the legal and legislative mechanisms for the UK to take action.

‘Britain must stand up for the Iranian people and confront this vile regime with strength and resolve.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Video Captures Intoxicated Pair Moments Before Fatal Incident Involving Cousin’s Son

In a tragic sequence of events, a drink driver intentionally collided with…

Reimagined: Priscilla Presley at 80 Without Plastic Surgery – A Stunning Transformation

Priscilla Presley has consistently remained in the public eye since becoming the…

Eric Dane’s GoFundMe Surges to $500k Target Amid Strong Support from Friends

A GoFundMe campaign initiated by close friends of the late actor Eric…

NYC Mayor Faces Criticism Over New ID Requirement for Snow Shoveling

New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani is facing criticism after calling on…

Trump Unveils Significant Increase in Worldwide Tariffs

In response to the Supreme Court’s decision against his reciprocal tax initiative,…

Royal Shake-Up: King Charles Abdicates, William and Kate Ascend as New Monarchs

If the monarchy aims to endure, there seems to be only one…

Tragic Incident: Fatalities Reported Following Truck Explosion and Gas Cloud Engulfs Roadway

Tragedy struck in South America when a gas tanker overturned, leading to…

Meghan King Accuses Jim Edmonds of Allegedly Sharing Her Phone Number with Escorts, Reports to Police

Last September, Meghan King reported to the police that her former spouse,…

Liberal Hub in the U.S. Faces $8 Million Setback with Cold-Resistant Bus Fleet Issues

In an unexpected setback for Vermont’s environmental initiatives, the state’s efforts to…

Sheriff Issues Warning to Groups Involved in Nancy Guthrie Investigation

The sheriff’s office spearheading the search for Nancy Guthrie has delivered a…

Former ‘Family Ties’ Star from the 80s Transitions to a Hands-On Lifestyle

Though she grew up under the spotlight as a beloved 80s child…

Heroic Young Man, 20, Loses Life in Selfless Attempt to Rescue Co-Worker

A young Michigan man’s courageous act has tragically cost him his life…