Meghan Markle Denies Claim She Wanted to Become a U.S. Senator - Internewscast Journal
Meghan Markle Denies Claim She Wanted to Become a U.S. Senator

Meghan Markle has pushed back against claims that she sought a path into US politics, denying suggestions she wanted to become a senator after reports alleged she met California Governor Gavin Newsom with an eye on Kamala Harris’s soon-to-be-vacant Senate seat.

The fresh scrutiny over the Duchess of Sussex’s alleged political aspirations stems from a New York Post report, which claimed the discussions took place in the run-up to the 2020 presidential election. The story comes as separate reports suggest Meghan and Prince Harry could return to the UK after spending six years based in the United States.

Newsom’s office previously acknowledged in a memorandum that the Democratic governor held an “introductory meeting” with Harry and Meghan on October 19, 2020. The substance of that conversation has never been publicly disclosed.

According to sources cited in the report, the meeting was intended to appear as a “welcome-to-California” conversation for the couple, who had recently settled in the state, before Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump in the 2020 election.

Those sources also alleged that Meghan was interested in being considered for the US Senate seat Harris was expected to give up if she became Biden’s vice president.

The appointment ultimately went to California Secretary of State Alex Padilla, who later secured election to a full six-year Senate term in 2022.

A source close to Meghan told the Post that the duchess was not seeking Harris’s Senate seat and rejected the claim that she wanted the appointment.

The Daily Mail has contacted a spokesperson for the Duchess of Sussex and Governor Newsom’s office for comment.

The Duchess of Sussex has denied that she wanted to be a US Senator amid claims she met with California's governor in the hopes of being appointed to Kamala Harris' Senate seat

The Duchess of Sussex has denied that she wanted to be a US Senator amid claims she met with California’s governor in the hopes of being appointed to Kamala Harris’ Senate seat 

Newsom's office confirmed in a memorandum that the Democrat governor sat down with Harry and Meghan in an 'introductory meeting' on October 19, 2020. Exactly what was said at the meeting is not known

Newsom’s office confirmed in a memorandum that the Democrat governor sat down with Harry and Meghan in an ‘introductory meeting’ on October 19, 2020. Exactly what was said at the meeting is not known

The Post report also alleges that the couple asked to meet Joe Biden in the Oval Office in 2021 but were shut down by White House staff. 

Biden sources claim that it was rejected on the grounds that it would have caused issues with the UK’s prime minister and the rest of the royal family. 

Both President and First Lady Jill Biden ‘didn’t want to get into a family squabble’ given their affection for Queen Elizabeth II. 

They also allegedly asked if they could fly back to the United States alongside the Bidens on Air Force One following the queen’s funeral and the source claimed they were promptly rebuffed. 

The royal couple hired consultants who had worked for both President Barack Obama and Biden, including ex-Press Secretary and current MS Now host Jen Psaki, the outlet said. 

Prince Harry’s current chief of staff, Miranda Barbot, herself a former Obama staffer, was used as a conduit between the royals and the White House, the report stated. 

A Biden source told the Post that the pair had worn out their welcome with the Bidens, and that this was evidenced by neither of them continuing to attend Harry’s Invictus Games after 2021.

News that Harry and Meghan plan to return to Britain for an extended period and enroll Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, in an English school suggests the couple have accepted that their American adventure has not delivered the glittering commercial empire once envisaged.

It has also been claimed that the couple asked to meet Joe Biden in the Oval Office in 2021 but were shut down by White House staff

It has also been claimed that the couple asked to meet Joe Biden in the Oval Office in 2021 but were shut down by White House staff

A Biden source told the Post that the pair had worn out their welcome with the Bidens, and that this was evidenced by neither of them continuing to attend Harry's Invictus Games after 2021

A Biden source told the Post that the pair had worn out their welcome with the Bidens, and that this was evidenced by neither of them continuing to attend Harry’s Invictus Games after 2021 

A lucrative Spotify deal is long gone and their original Netflix contract has ended. The duchess’s series With Love, Meghan lasted two seasons. 

Sources close to Harry briefed at the weekend that his family reunion with King Charles last month left the duke feeling ‘buoyed,’ ‘very happy’ and ‘really energized.’

Crucially, they added: ‘He wants to spend more time in the UK with his family.’

He will now get his wish. The family are expected to establish themselves in a private, non-royal residence and could remain in Britain while Archie and Lilibet complete their education.

But there will be no return to life as working royals.

The King, who is understood to have been informed of Harry’s plans only on Sunday, is said to welcome the opportunity to spend more time privately with his younger son and grandchildren.

But Buckingham Palace’s position on Harry and Meghan’s official status is understood to be unchanged.

There will be ‘no alteration’ to their roles as private individuals and non-working members of the Royal Family, in keeping with the arrangements established after their sensational departure in 2020.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Physicist’s Doomsday Prediction Claims World Could End This Year

A stark forecast about humanity’s future is drawing fresh attention, with a…

Sydney Private School Scandal Comes to Light

Three teenage boys accused of sexually assaulting a girl in Sydney over…

Ukrainian Woman Sees Grandson’s Body Pulled From Rubble After Strike

A grandmother’s grief as rescuers recovered her grandson’s body from the ruins…

21-Year-Old Army Soldier Charged With Rape of 12-Year-Old Girl

A U.S. Army soldier is facing a rape charge in Ohio involving…

FBI Says Woman Scouted Building in Burka While Plotting ISIS Bomb Attack

Federal authorities say a New York woman accused in an ISIS-inspired plot…

Lawsuit Claims 6-Year-Old Girl Died After Freak Badminton Racket Accident

The family of a six-year-old girl killed in a horrifying badminton accident…

NYC Mayoral Aide Signals Aid for Stores Impacted by City-Run Supermarkets

A top official helping steer New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s proposed…

Karmelo Anthony Case: Alleged Blood-Licking Knife Fantasy Revealed

Prosecutors say convicted killer Karmelo Anthony had written about a violent fantasy…

FBI Agents Seize Rep. Eric Swalwell’s Electronics at San Francisco Airport

Federal agents met Eric Swalwell at San Francisco Airport on Saturday with…

17-Year-Old Fatally Shot Inside NYC Business as Police Investigate

A 17-year-old boy was fatally shot in the head inside a Brooklyn…

Trump FDA Pick Shaped Joe Rogan-Backed Psychedelics Push

President Donald Trump’s choice to run the Food and Drug Administration was…

American Airlines Adds Long-Awaited Cabin Upgrade to Match Rivals

American Airlines is preparing a long-awaited cabin upgrade that will bring its…