First Lady Melania Trump stepped back into the public spotlight on Sunday, joining President Donald Trump in Washington, DC, for the Freedom 250 Grand Prix.
The first couple were seen traveling in the presidential motorcade before they were expected to take several ceremonial laps around the track ahead of the IndyCar race.
Her appearance followed a Rose Garden event earlier in the week, where Melania opened with a sharp eight-word line: “I heard you missed me. Here I am.”
That White House event was her first public appearance alongside the president in more than a month, after the pair were last seen together on July 19 at the FIFA World Cup final in New Jersey.
The outing also came amid renewed attention on the president’s close personal aide, Natalie Harp, after Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff made a pointed insinuation about their working relationship during a rally in Georgia last week.
At the Rose Garden event, Melania unveiled a collaboration with IndyCar and Fox Sports aimed at widening scholarship access for young people aging out of the foster care system. The initiative includes support for programs at Indiana University and Purdue University.
Sunday’s Freedom 250 Grand Prix in Washington, DC, is being staged by IndyCar as part of celebrations marking the United States’ semiquincentennial birthday.
“Fostering the Future graduates will build new companies, launch new industries, and redefine what is possible for all Americans,” Melania said earlier in the week. She added that the program is “more than an educational initiative; it is generational investment in America’s talents pipeline.”

First lady Melania Trump and President Donald Trump, not visible, in the presidential limousine known as ‘The Beast,’ depart the White House en route to the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, August 23, 2026, in Washington.

US President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump attend the Freedom 250 Grand Prix IndyCar series race in Washington, DC, August 23, 2026

(L-R) IndyCar driver Alexander Rossi, first lady Melania Trump, and driver Scott Dixon at the White House on Thursday
Top international motorsport officials praised the Freedom 250 INDYCAR race as a celebration of American history and the country’s racing tradition.
H.E. Mohammed Ben Sulayem, president of the FIA, said the event would bring together the nation’s 250th anniversary with a sport synonymous with innovation and speed.
‘The Freedom 250 INDYCAR race pairs 250 years of American achievement with a sport that embodies speed, ingenuity and the freedom of the open road. This is a landmark event, and it is an honour for the FIA to be a part of it,’ Ben Sulayem said. ‘Congratulations to President Trump, the U.S. Government, INDYCAR, our Member Club ACCUS, and all involved on making this vision a reality.’

Grandstand is reflected in the tuba of a member of the US Navy marching band, ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix IndyCar series race in Washington, DC, US, August 23, 2026.

Military aircraft fly over the track before the start of the NTT INDYCAR Series on August 23, 2026 in Washington, DC. US President Donald Trump established the Freedom 250 Grand Prix weekend as part of the yearlong celebration of America’s 250th anniversary
Ronan Morgan, president of the FIA Drivers’ Commission and an INDYCAR Independent Officiating Board member, also hailed the race as a showcase of America’s motorsport legacy.
‘The Freedom 250 race will be a fitting celebration of the great American motorsport traditions loved by millions of fans across the world,’ Morgan said. ‘I’m delighted that the relationship between the FIA and INDYCAR is stronger today than ever before as we continue to support one of America’s greatest sporting spectacles.’
Over 140,000 fans are expected to attend the Freedom 250 IndyCar event on Sunday.