National anthem singer reveals true extent of fury at her ICE protest

Singer Vanessa Hernandez has revealed she has received death threats following her ICE protest at a Los Angeles Dodgers game last week. 

The 30-year-old performer, known by her stage name Nezza, defied the Dodgers’ directive by delivering a Spanish version of the American national anthem before the Saturday game against the San Francisco Giants.

The Dominican artist alleged that efforts were made to prevent her from singing the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish, but she proceeded regardless, as an act of support for ICE protestors in the city.

Nezza carried out this impactful gesture despite the Dodgers’ opposition, coinciding with the ‘No Kings’ protests across the US, which opposed Donald Trump’s immigration policies and followed a week of disturbances in LA.

She has now told TMZ that online trolls have sent her death threats but she stands by her decision to sing in Spanish and is adamant she’s ‘on the right side of history’.

Nezza also revealed that George Lopez, Becky G and other musicians had reached out to offer their support. 

Vanessa Hernandez has received death threats following her ICE protest at a Dodgers game

Vanessa Hernandez has received death threats following her ICE protest at a Dodgers game

Nezza shared a video of her being told by a Dodgers official to sing the anthem in English

Nezza shared a video of her being told by a Dodgers official to sing the anthem in English

She said: ‘I have received quite the backlash but it’s been way more positive and love so that kind of outweighs that. I already knew in my heart that what I did was right but this triple confirms it for me. 

‘The death threats are one things but that’s just the internet. I’m taking that as that is going to come from something like this. Anything that involves politics is going to involve a death threat.

‘The main thing I have been seeing is that it was “disrespectful”. I don’t think it was because the lyrics are the exact same as the English version. 

‘I am a proud American. I was born here, raised her, my dreams came true here in LA and I think being a proud American and still wanting better for your country can be the same truth and I think people are forgetting that.’

After Nezza posted a clip on TikTok which showed a Dodgers official telling her to sing the anthem in English, before she stunningly defied that request, a large portion of the team’s fans heaped praise on her.

One replied to her latest TikTok video by saying: ’50 year dodgers fan & proud of you, no more games til they make this right.’

‘As a la native and a dodgers fan, I’m disappointed in them,’ said another. ‘I’m so glad you SANNNG it in Spanish even though they told you not too! You got a new follower queen’.

‘God damn. Dodgers have botched the last week pretty badly,’ another fan posted on X about the anthem controversy.

While one said about Nezza: ‘Good for her. The @dodgers are being hypocritical. They’ll have Mexico Night, hire Mariachis to play at the games, & have surely cashed in on billions of $ of revenue from a loyal Latino fan-base, much of it undocumented. Maybe when/if they get hit in the pocketbook….’

The 30-year-old opened up on the 'insane' reaction to her protest in a new TikTok video

The 30-year-old opened up on the ‘insane’ reaction to her protest in a new TikTok video

The Dodgers visited Donald Trump at the White House back in April as World Series winners

The Dodgers visited Donald Trump at the White House back in April as World Series winners

However, other members of the Dodgers faithful were less impressed by her protest after being invited by the team to sing in English.

‘Total lack of respect by @Nezza,’ one concluded. ‘She’s invited by @Dodgers to sing in English. But makes decision to sing in Spanish. This is why people don’t take WOKE/DEI/serious. People should boycott her music’.

Another commented: ‘If the @Dodgers invite Nezza back to Dodger Stadium for another reimagining of our Star Spangled Banner I know I won’t be the only one who stays away. Spoke to many friends (Latino included) and it doesn’t sit right with any of us. She can serenade Dominican Rep crowds instead.’

While one even claimed: ‘After Nezza singing [in Spanish] and not being banned forever, I will never attend another Dodger game’.

In a tearful follow-up video to her original TikTok post, Hernandez suggested she has been banned from Dodger Stadium after ignoring the request to perform in English.

‘Thank you for all the sweet messages,’ she concluded at the end of the video before adding, ‘I love you guys so much. Safe to say I am never allowed in that stadium again.’ 

Yet according to The LA Times, she was not punished for ignoring the team request and is not banned from Dodger Stadium in the future.

You May Also Like

French Police Video Exposes Violent Clash With Migrants

Newly released footage captures the tense moment French police confronted a group…

Police Identify Man Accused of Terrorizing Woman in Chucky-Style Costume

A Philadelphia man accused of terrifying a woman by chasing her through…

Taxpayers Cover Justin Trudeau’s Security Costs for Katy Perry Trips, Report Says

Canadian taxpayers may be footing the bill for Justin Trudeau’s security detail…

Meghan Markle Denies Claim She Wanted to Become a U.S. Senator

Meghan Markle has pushed back against claims that she sought a path…

New York Tornado, Waterspout Cripple 3 Major Airports

Powerful storms swept across New York on Thursday evening, bringing a dramatic…

Michael Cohen Reunites With Trump, Issues Bold Plea After Fallout

After years of bitter public feuding, Donald Trump and Michael Cohen —…

Judge Bars Rep. Lauren Boebert’s Son Tyler Boebert From Contacting Ex in Child Exploitation Case

Rep. Lauren Boebert’s son, Tyler Boebert, has been instructed by a Colorado…

Romanian Man Who Came to UK and Murdered Victim Jailed for Life

A Romanian killer who moved to the UK and went on to…

Vatican Revives Ancient Ritual Using 1,700-Year-Old Skull Relic

A 1,700-year-old skull has been returned to a golden bust in Catania,…

New England Woman Posed With Creepy Doll Jailed for Morgue Crimes

A Massachusetts woman who once posed for a selfie with an eerie…

Jon Ossoff Stands by Controversial Remark About Female Trump Aide

WASHINGTON — Sen. Jon Ossoff of Georgia is standing by a controversial…

Rubio Leads Vance in 2028 Poll vs Newsom, Harris and AOC

Secretary of State Marco Rubio is running ahead of Vice President JD…