US conducts first strike in Caribbean since Maduro capture
Share this @internewscast.com

The United States military announced on Friday that they executed their inaugural lethal operation targeting suspected narcoterrorists, marking the first such action since the recent operation that led to the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro earlier this month.

According to a statement released by the US Southern Command on social media, a vessel suspected of engaging in drug trafficking activities was targeted, resulting in the deaths of two individuals and leaving one person alive. The command stated they had informed the Coast Guard, initiating search and rescue efforts for the survivor.

In the past, US military operations have faced criticism, particularly from Democratic lawmakers, for employing “double tap” tactics, which allegedly involve targeting those who survive initial strikes.

The announcement was accompanied by a video depicting a boat traversing the water, which subsequently erupts into flames.

Recently, the US military has concentrated its efforts on intercepting sanctioned oil tankers linked to Venezuela. This focus follows the Trump administration’s bold initiative to apprehend Maduro and extradite him to New York to confront drug trafficking accusations.

The US military has focused lately on seizing sanctioned oil tankers with connections to Venezuela since the Trump administration launched an audacious raid to capture Maduro and bring him to New York to face drug trafficking charges.

With the latest military action, there have been 36 known strikes against alleged drug smuggling boats in South American waters since early September that killed at least 117 people, according to announcements from the US military and Trump. 

The majority of those of strikes have occurred in the Caribbean Sea.

This image from video provided by U.S. South Command, shows a vessel accused of trafficking drugs in the eastern Pacific Ocean shortly before it was destroyed by the U.S. military, killing two and injuring one, on Jan. 23, 2026. (U.S. Southern Command via AP)

This image from video provided by U.S. South Command, shows a vessel accused of trafficking drugs in the eastern Pacific Ocean shortly before it was destroyed by the U.S. military, killing two and injuring one, on Jan. 23, 2026. (U.S. Southern Command via AP)

With the latest military action, there have been 36 known strikes against alleged drug smuggling boats in South American waters since early September that killed at least 117 people, according to announcements from the US military led by Pete Hegseth and Trump

With the latest military action, there have been 36 known strikes against alleged drug smuggling boats in South American waters since early September that killed at least 117 people, according to announcements from the US military led by Pete Hegseth and Trump

The last reported boat strikes occurred in late December, when the military said it struck five alleged drug-smuggling boats over two days, killing a total of eight people while others jumped overboard. 

Days later, the Coast Guard suspended its search.

The US conducted a large-scale operation in Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, on January 3 that led to the capture of Maduro and his wife, who were then flown to New York to face federal drug trafficking charges.

Maduro, before his capture, said the US military operations were a thinly veiled effort to oust him from power.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said that the US strikes targeting alleged smugglers are having an enormous impact on slowing drug trafficking routes in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific.

‘We´ve stopped – virtually stopped almost 100 percent of all drugs coming in by water,’ Trump said in remarks on Thursday at the World Economic Forum at Davos.

In the wake of his capture of Maduro, Trump has leveraged the remaining members of the regime into making deals on oil.

Days after the capture of Maduro, Trump announced a deal with the Venezuelan regime to give the United States 30 to 50 million barrels of oil which could be worth up to $2billion.

The US military has focused lately on seizing sanctioned oil tankers with connections to Venezuela since the Trump administration launched an audacious raid to capture Maduro and bring him to New York to face drug trafficking charges

The US military has focused lately on seizing sanctioned oil tankers with connections to Venezuela since the Trump administration launched an audacious raid to capture Maduro and bring him to New York to face drug trafficking charges

‘I am pleased to announce that the Interim Authorities in Venezuela will be turning over between 30 and 50 MILLION Barrels of High Quality, Sanctioned Oil, to the United States of America,’ he posted to Truth Social. 

Trump also announced that he will be in control of the money made off the oil’s sales – which at market price, could be worth up to $2billion according to Reuters. 

‘This Oil will be sold at its Market Price, and that money will be controlled by me, as President of the United States of America, to ensure it is used to benefit the people of Venezuela and the United States!’ 

Trump has placed Energy Secretary Chris Wright in charge of executing the plan which is scheduled to begin immediately. 

‘It will be taken by storage ships, and brought directly to unloading docks in the United States,’ he wrote. 

Trump has largely put his team in charge of relations with Venezuela, while sidelining Venezuela opposition leader Maria Corina Machado.

Trump had largely dismissed Machado’s prospects, saying ‘it would be very tough for her to be the leader’ and claiming she ‘doesn’t have the support or the respect within the country.’ 

His comments caught Machado’s team off guard, according to people close to her.

Machado’s proxy candidate, Edmundo González, won more than two–thirds of the vote in last year’s election, which Maduro refused to honor by stepping down.

US officials say Venezuela’s vast oil wealth offers both an incentive for Rodríguez to engage with Trump and a source of leverage if she doesn’t. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

NASA Successfully Completes Second Wet Dress Rehearsal for Artemis II Moon Mission

NASA has successfully completed the second wet dress rehearsal for the Artemis…

Princess Eugenie’s Ski Trip Unfolds Amidst Prince Andrew’s Arrest Drama

Princess Eugenie’s Swiss ski getaway in Gstaad coincided with a tumultuous event…

Nationwide Manhunt: Navy Reservist Sought After Wife’s Body Discovered in Freezer

Authorities worldwide are on the lookout for a Navy reservist who allegedly…

Florida Airport Set to Honor Donald Trump with Renaming Initiative

A significant change is on the horizon for one of Florida’s primary…

Hollywood Mourns: Tributes Pour in for ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Following His Passing at 53

Eric Dane’s untimely death at 53 has left his celebrity friends and…

Steven Spielberg Plans to Relocate from California in Response to Proposed Wealth Tax

Hollywood icon Steven Spielberg has joined the growing list of billionaires departing…

Civil Servant Encouraged to Explore Non-Binary Perspectives Through Book Club

An intriguing development has surfaced involving an official who worked under Sir…

Tragic Discovery: Missing Skier’s Body Recovered from Lake Tahoe Waters After Extensive Search

A tragic discovery was made in Lake Tahoe after a skier, reported…

Breaking News: Russian Warplanes Approaching Alaska’s Airspace—What It Means for US Security

Nine U.S. fighter jets have been dispatched following the sighting of five…

Intensive Search Continues at Royal Lodge: What Are Andrew Police Uncovering?

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office,…

Savannah Guthrie Permanently Steps Away from ‘Today Show’ Following Mother’s Abduction

Savannah Guthrie’s return to the Today Show remains uncertain as she continues…

Former Goldman Sachs Attorney Linked to Epstein Prostitution Scandal Discussions

A former Goldman Sachs attorney, now embroiled in controversy, was found to…