Share this @internewscast.com

In brief

  • Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented work at the Berlin Film Festival in the past.
  • It comes after comments by the festival’s jury president, director Wim Wenders, that filmmakers should stay out of politics”.

Over 80 notable figures from the film industry, including Oscar winners Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton, have united to sign an open letter expressing criticism towards the Berlin Film Festival for its “silence” on the situation in Gaza.

The letter’s signatories voiced their disapproval, stating they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence” and “dismayed” by its role in “censoring artists who oppose Israel’s ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.”

This statement was released following comments made by the Berlinale’s jury president, German director Wim Wenders, who, when asked about Gaza last week, remarked, “We cannot really enter the field of politics.”

Wenders’ remarks sparked a backlash, leading to actions such as the withdrawal of award-winning Indian novelist Arundhati Roy from the festival. Roy had been scheduled to present a restored version of her 1989 film, “In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones.”

Among the actors who endorsed the letter were Brian Cox and Alia Shawkat, while respected directors like British filmmaker Mike Leigh and American director Adam McKay also lent their support.

The list of signatories includes many artists with strong ties to the Berlin Film Festival. Notably, Tilda Swinton herself received the prestigious Honorary Golden Bear award at last year’s event.

Wim Wenders standing in front of a blue background.
Berlin Film Festival has faced criticism after the festival’s jury president, director Wim Wenders, said filmmakers should “stay out of politics”. Source: AAP / EPA / Clemens Bilan

They said they “fervently disagree” with Wenders’ comments, arguing that filmmaking and politics cannot be separated.

“Just as the festival has made clear statements in the past about atrocities carried out against people in Iran and Ukraine, we call on the Berlinale to fulfil its moral duty and clearly state its opposition to Israel’s genocide,” the letter adds.

The signatories took exception not only at the Berlinale’s stance of not engaging on the issue of Israel’s action in Gaza, but also “the German state’s key role in enabling it”.

When asked about Germany’s support for Israel at a press conference on Thursday, Wenders said filmmakers had “to stay out of politics”.

“We have to do the work of people, not the work of politicians,” he said.

On Saturday, the Berlinale put out a statement defending Wenders from the subsequent “media storm”, suggesting that his remarks had been taken out of context.

Festival director Tricia Tuttle said that artists “are free to exercise their right of free speech in whatever way they choose” and should not “be expected to speak on every political issue raised to them unless they want to”.

In 2024, the festival’s documentary award went to No Other Land, which follows the dispossession of Palestinian communities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Hamas’ attack on Israel in October 2023, in which more than 1,200 people were killed, sparked the devastating two-year war that saw Israel destroy most of Gaza and kill more than 70,000 people, according to health authorities in the territory.

In August, Germany imposed a partial arms embargo on Israel, which was lifted in November after the announcement of what has proved to be a fragile ceasefire for Gaza.

A United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry (COI), which does not speak on behalf of the UN as a whole and has been sharply criticised by Israel, concluded in September that Israel was committing genocide in Gaza.

Israel is separately defending a genocide case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which has ordered provisional measures but has yet to issue a final ruling.

Israel has repeatedly denied committing genocide in Gaza, saying it has the right to defend itself.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales

King Charles Responds to Brother Andrew’s Arrest: What You Need to Know

On the morning of his 66th birthday, the former Prince Andrew was…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…