Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison
Share this @internewscast.com

The individual charged with executing a Hanukkah attack in Sydney, Australia, made his first public appearance on Monday through a video link from Goulburn Supermax prison during a court session at Downing Center Local Court.

According to 7NewsAustralia, 24-year-old Naveed Akram had a brief exchange in the hearing, which lasted under ten minutes. During this session, an order was extended to keep the identities of some victims confidential.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund inquired, “Did you hear what just occurred?” to which Akram simply replied, “Yep.”

Freund continued, “Your solicitor will call you, OK?”

Courtroom illustration shows a man on a video screen from a high-security prison addressing a Sydney magistrate during legal proceedings.

A courtroom sketch illustrates the accused, Naveed Akram, participating via video call from Goulburn Supermax prison at Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney on Monday, February 16, 2026.

The suspect in the shooting responded with a straightforward, “Yeah.”

Akram has been charged with one count of committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and additional firearms and explosives offenses, according to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website. 

The most serious charges carry potential life imprisonment.

Inset of three victims of the Bondi Beach attack with flowers, candles, and mourners in the background.

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French national Dan Elkayam were victims of the Bondi Beach attack.  (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)

Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters it was too early to indicate how his client would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.

“There’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional application,” Archbold said.

His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.

Police officers stand near Bondi Beach as they secure the area following a deadly terrorist attack during the first night of Hanukkah.

Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday after a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community during the first night of Hanukkah.  ( Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The 24-year-old is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terror attack targeting a Jewish “Hanukkah by the Sea” celebration at Bondi Beach in December. 

His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot and killed in a gun battle with police at the scene.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity,” saying at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been informed by the Office of National Intelligence of an ISIS online video feed reinforcing that assessment.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Fentanyl exposure scare forces courtroom evacuation during active trial

Fentanyl Exposure Shocks Courtroom: Trial Halted Amid Emergency Evacuation

In Washington state, a courtroom evacuation took place on Thursday involving nearly…
Kelly Ripa celebrates 25 years of 'Live' with special anniversary show

Kelly Ripa Marks 25 Years on ‘Live’: A Spectacular Anniversary Celebration Unveiled!

NEW YORK — A remarkable chapter unfolds as Kelly Ripa marks a…
Quentin Griffiths, Asos co-founder, dead after fall from building in Thailand

Tragic Loss: Asos Co-Founder Quentin Griffiths Passes Away in Thailand Building Fall

Quentin Griffiths, the co-founder of the online fashion powerhouse Asos, has tragically…
Blue city mayor's official SUV stolen after thief breaks into office, swipes keys: police

Thief Breaks into Office, Steals Mayor’s Official SUV by Taking the Keys, Police Report

In an unexpected incident over Presidents Day, Oakland’s mayor found her city-assigned…
11-year-old accused in adoptive dad’s birthday night killing over video game now faces adult trial: docs

11-Year-Old Faces Adult Court for Alleged Birthday Night Tragedy Tied to Video Game Dispute

In Pennsylvania, an 11-year-old boy made his initial court appearance on Thursday,…
IOC looking into FIFA head Gianni Infantino after attending Trump's Board of Peace event

IOC Investigates FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s Attendance at Trump’s Peace Board Event

Following FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s participation in U.S. President Donald Trump’s launch…
$100K reward offered after graffiti discovered inside Bills' new stadium

$100,000 Bounty Announced for Information on Vandalism at New Bills Stadium

Following the discovery of graffiti that halted progress on the new Bills…
Repeat offender allegedly assaults hospital police officer just days after arrest at same facility: report

Serial Offender Strikes Again: Shocking Hospital Assault Days After Initial Arrest

A North Carolina resident known for his extensive criminal history has once…
Rockville Centre's girls, boys basketball teams keep feeding off each other's success

Rockville Centre Basketball Teams Thrive on Mutual Success

The South Side Cyclones basketball teams are riding a wave of impressive…
Canadian trans shooter Jesse Van Rootselaar's disturbing ChatGPT messages alarmed OpenAI employees -- but company never alerted cops

Alarming ChatGPT Messages from Canadian Shooter Jesse Van Rootselaar Raise Concerns Among OpenAI Employees, But Authorities Were Not Notified

OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, had previously banned the account of Canadian…
Horrifying moment Stanford swimmer collapses in the pool after grueling race

Stanford Swimmer’s Collapse Shocks Spectators After Intense Race

The swimming world was left in shock after a chilling incident at…
Stolen ambulance allegedly driven into Idaho DHS office building in attempted arson attack

Stolen Ambulance Reportedly Crashed into Idaho DHS Office in Suspected Arson Attempt

State and federal officials are actively probing an incident involving the alleged…