Queensland premier rages at 'low life' thief as cyclone looms
Share this @internewscast.com

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has strongly criticized the actions of an individual suspected of severing a telecommunications cable in the hours leading up to an expected cyclone in the state’s far north. This incident has sparked outrage and concern for the residents affected.

The alleged act took place in Deeragun, a suburb located on the outskirts of Townsville. The individual reportedly cut the cable in an attempt to steal the copper contained within it, leading to significant service disruptions.

Crisafulli expressed his dismay at the situation, highlighting that this reckless behavior has left Telstra, Optus, and NBN customers in Townsville without crucial services just as a severe storm approaches.

“My message to the perpetrator is clear: you have endangered the lives of North Queenslanders at a critical time, and there is no act more despicable than this,” Crisafulli declared. He emphasized that the authorities are determined to pursue legal action once the suspect is apprehended.

He went on to underscore the gravity of the crime, noting, “This is a deplorable act at any time, but during a disaster, it reaches a new low. Telecommunications are a matter of life and death.”

‘It’s a pretty low act at anytime, but during a disaster, that’s about as low as you can get. Telecommunications are life and death.’

It’s believed Telstra and Optus customers and NBN users could be impacted. 

It comes as residents in Townsville have been ordered to take shelter immediately.

Premier Crisafulli slammed the actions of the individual who is alleged to have put 'lives after risk' after cutting a telecommunications cable in the middle of the disaster

Premier Crisafulli slammed the actions of the individual who is alleged to have put ‘lives after risk’ after cutting a telecommunications cable in the middle of the disaster

Flooding is seen at Peets Bridge in Cairns this week, with more flooding expected to hit QLD

Flooding is seen at Peets Bridge in Cairns this week, with more flooding expected to hit QLD

An emergency alert was issued for the Townsville Local Government Area, which includes from Mutarnee to Cungulla, including Magnetic Island, earlier this afternoon.

The Townsville Local Disaster Management Group warned the tropical low is forecast to reach tropical cyclone intensity later this evening, before crossing the coast near Townsville, most likely early on Sunday. 

Conditions will be dangerous as it gets closer to land, with gale-strength winds expected from 4pm (AEST) today.

A ‘Watch and Act’ emergency alert has also been issued for the Burdekin region, with destructive winds forecast to hit on Saturday evening. 

According to the Bureau of Meteorology, Tropical Low 12U is forecast to reach tropical cyclone intensity this afternoon as a category two system.

With it would come destructive wind gusts up to 130 km/h from late tonight and early Sunday morning, more likely offshore or about exposed coastal locations from south of Townsville to Proserpine.

Gales with wind gusts up to 100 km/h are expected to develop along coastal areas between Innisfail and Airlie Beach, on Saturday afternoon or evening. 

Gales may extend to Proserpine and adjacent inland areas. 

The Bureau of Meteorology said the cyclone is forecast to reach tropical cyclone intensity this afternoon as a category two system

The Bureau of Meteorology said the cyclone is forecast to reach tropical cyclone intensity this afternoon as a category two system

A man was winched to safety after his campervan was caught in floodwaters, west of Cairns

A man was winched to safety after his campervan was caught in floodwaters, west of Cairns

Heavy rainfall, which may lead to flash flooding, is forecast to develop from Innisfail to Proserpine today.

Despite the concern, Crisafulli said swift-water rescue craft, police, SES officers and paramedics were in position and would work with residents on the ground.

‘The locals know their patch and the challenges,’ he said.

‘In many ways, it has replicated what we saw a little less than 12 months ago when people from the north and central and western parts helped colleagues in the southeast.

‘I want Queenslanders to know we are better prepared than ever.’

The federal and Queensland governments have now activated funding support for primary producers in flooded areas.

Under the arrangements, farmers can claim eligible veterinary fees associated with the health and welfare of production livestock, as well as costs for carcass disposal on their properties. 

Freight subsidies up to $5,000 per property will be made available to transport essential materials such as fodder, building and fencing supplies, machinery, and livestock for restocking. 

Severe flooding impacted Cloncurry earlier this week

Trucks are seen stranded near Normanton after severe flooding

Parts of Queensland faced severe flooding this week, with more expected as the cyclone grows in strength 

Crisafulli said a preliminary survey of property owners indicated some 40,000 stock had already been lost, a number he expects to increase significantly.

People between Innisfail and Proserpine, including Innisfail, Townsville, Palm Island, Bowen and Airlie Beach, are advised to take precaution and monitor the next update at 5pm. 

If your life is in danger, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

For cyclone help, call the SES on 132 500 or download the SES Assistance QLD app.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Unveiling the Alexander Brothers Trial: Unexpected Revelations and Shocking Insights from Court Proceedings

As the sex trafficking trial of the Alexander brothers drags on in…

Climber Claims Girlfriend Encouraged Him to Continue as She Faced Fatal Circumstances

An Austrian climber, accused of leaving his girlfriend stranded atop the country’s…

Trump Reveals Surprising Detail About Nicki Minaj That Captured His Attention

During the White House’s 100th annual Black History Month celebration, an enthusiastic…

Eugenie’s Subtle Gesture Towards Kate Sparks Interest at First Royal Christmas

Recent observations have rekindled rumors of a less-than-warm relationship between Princess Eugenie…

Inside the Deadlock: Unraveling the Stalemate Stalling Nancy Guthrie’s Search Efforts

Behind-the-scenes tensions are reportedly stalling the efforts to locate Nancy Guthrie, with…

Saudi Billionaire Prince’s Luxurious Superyacht Makes Waves Off Devon Coast: A Rare Sight

This morning, one of the globe’s most impressive superyachts, owned by a…

Les Wexner’s Deposition: Unveiling Ties Between Epstein’s Backer and Former President Trump

Les Wexner, the founder of Victoria’s Secret, was visibly taken aback when…

Hollywood Mourns: Tributes Pour in for ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Following His Passing at 53

Eric Dane’s untimely death at 53 has left his celebrity friends and…

Is Prince Andrew’s Downfall the Tipping Point for the House of Windsor’s Future?

Wood Farm holds a cherished spot in the hearts of the Royal…

Trump Promises to Unveil Confidential Government Records on Extraterrestrial Encounters

Donald Trump has instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to disclose government…

Nationwide Manhunt: Navy Reservist Sought After Wife’s Body Discovered in Freezer

Authorities worldwide are on the lookout for a Navy reservist who allegedly…

Understanding Misconduct in Public Office: Comprehensive Answers to Your Questions

Understanding Misconduct in Public Office In the realm of law within this…