Fears over travel to Portugual vacation spot after American man killed
Share this @internewscast.com

An American tourist tragically lost his life while attempting to rescue a friend from a violent robbery in a luxurious Portuguese seaside town.

The two tourists had been enjoying a night out in Cascais, a stunning suburb of Lisbon known for its famous residents, including soccer legend Cristiano Ronaldo.

Authorities report that the 35-year-old victim rushed to aid his friend, also an American, after the latter was assaulted by three local men early Wednesday morning.

The 34-year-old friend was heading back to his hotel when the would-be robbery occurred. He was struck several times during the attack.

Despite the assault, the tourist managed to resist and escape momentarily, contacting his friend, who was still at a nearby nightclub.

When his friend arrived to assist, a verbal confrontation erupted on Rua Afonso Sanches, quickly escalating into violence, according to police statements.

One suspect knifed both tourists in the face, arms and back, according to police. The Portuguese group then fled in a vehicle parked nearby. 

Cops rushed to the scene and found both men covered in blood. The 35-year-old had been stabbed in the back, and he was found ‘lying on the ground in a supine position, inanimate and with no obvious signs of life’, police said. 

Americans have been warned about rising crime in a popular Portugal vacation spot after a US citizen died amid a violent attack in the street on Tuesday night

Americans have been warned about rising crime in a popular Portugal vacation spot after a US citizen died amid a violent attack in the street on Tuesday night

Photographs from the crime scene show blood splattered across the sidewalk, as shown above

Photographs from the crime scene show blood splattered across the sidewalk, as shown above

The 35-year-old tourist was found dead in Lisbon after three men launched a bloody attack on him and his friend, 34, at Rua Afonso Sanches (pictured) around 3.20am Wednesday morning

The 35-year-old tourist was found dead in Lisbon after three men launched a bloody attack on him and his friend, 34, at Rua Afonso Sanches (pictured) around 3.20am Wednesday morning

The second victim was found sitting on the sidewalk nearby having suffered ‘minor injuries to his face and right elbow’. He was taken to the Santa Maria Hospital in Lisbon for treatment. 

All three suspects have been arrested. One has been charged with homicide, while the others have been charged with assault, per CNN.  

The US State Department confirmed to CNN and Fox News that it was aware of the attack on two US tourists in Cascais, but they have not yet been identified. 

The Daily Mail has contacted the department for more information.

Photographs from the crime scene show blood splattered across the sidewalk of a quiet and sunny tree-lined street.

Another image appears to show evidence inside a large plastic bag as forensic investigators trawl the scene. 

Cascais, a picturesque seaside town just outside Lisbon, has long been a favorite of celebrities and the wealthy. 

Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo maintains a residence in the area, while pop icon Madonna once lived in a nearby town. 

One image appears to show evidence inside a large plastic bag as police trawled the scene

One image appears to show evidence inside a large plastic bag as police trawled the scene

Police said a 34-year old tourist from America was walking back to his hotel when a group of three Portuguese men tried to rob him, according to CNN

Police said a 34-year old tourist from America was walking back to his hotel when a group of three Portuguese men tried to rob him, according to CNN 

The holidaymaker resisted, but the men responded by punching him multiple times. The victim tried to flee from the street (pictured), while calling his friend who was at a nightclub nearby

The holidaymaker resisted, but the men responded by punching him multiple times. The victim tried to flee from the street (pictured), while calling his friend who was at a nightclub nearby

The town’s rolling hills, luxury villas, and stunning beaches make it a magnet for high-profile visitors from around the world. 

In recent years, Cascais — and Portugal more broadly — has seen a surge in American tourists. 

In the first half of 2024 alone, over 1m US visitors stayed in Portuguese hotels and accommodations, making Americans the second-largest group of foreign tourists after the UK. 

In 2023, American travelers logged roughly 4.6 million overnight stays, a 33 percent increase from the previous year.

While Portugal is widely regarded as one of Europe’s safest countries, recent incidents have raised concerns about public safety. 

According to the 2024 Annual Internal Security Report (RASI), general crime in Portugal decreased by 4.6 percent in 2024.

However, certain areas have experienced upticks in violent crimes such as robberies.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Prince William Shocks Royal Fans with Unexpected Change in Beloved Hobby Shared with Kate

In a delightful revelation, Prince William has expressed his newfound enthusiasm for…

Family Feud Ignites Over $10 Million Inheritance: Heirs Clash Over Luxury Estate

An unexpectedly trivial feud erupted among five siblings, each promised a $10…

Mid-Flight Disruption: Passenger’s Controversial Behavior Ignites Viral Outrage

A passenger’s unusual behavior during a flight has ignited a storm of…

Exclusive: Politician Breaks Silence on Burka Controversy in Parliament Interview with Jenny Johnston

What a sight. It’s no surprise that the image quickly became a…

Breaking: National Guard Incident Sparks Debate as Liberals Point to Trump’s Influence

In a pointed critique, a former Democratic National Committee chair has squarely…

Trump Halts Asylum Decisions Following National Guard Attack

The Trump administration has implemented a temporary halt on asylum decisions across…

Two Russian Tankers Engulfed in Flames Near Turkey’s Bosphorus Strait

Two tankers from Russia’s shadow fleet experienced explosions before igniting into flames…

Exploring the Underworld: Unveiling the Intricate Operations of Dubai’s Illicit Fly-Tipping Networks

Picture the gleaming skyline of Dubai, stacks of cash being moved in…

Record Number of Unemployed Workers Now Includes More College Graduates

Recent trends indicate that the edge college graduates once held in the…

Trump Considers Pardon for Former Honduran President Convicted of Drug Trafficking: A Controversial Move

President Donald Trump has announced his intention to grant a pardon to…

Piers Morgan Criticizes Australia’s Continued Embrace of Progressive Values

Outspoken journalist Piers Morgan has expressed concern over what he describes as…

Trump Unveils Strategic $300 Billion Proposal Affecting US and Ukraine War Dynamics

In a bid to resolve the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, Donald Trump…