Dem candidate arrested after 'pulling gun on government workers'

A Democratic congressional candidate from Hawaii has been taken into custody following a reported incident involving a firearm threat at a government facility.

Kirill Basin, 40, who is running for the 2nd Congressional District in Hawaii, is accused of threatening two employees of Maui County on Friday morning. The incident occurred around 9:30 a.m., and Basin was apprehended after evading authorities for several hours.

The specific motivation behind Basin’s alleged actions inside the government building, as well as the identities of the officials he reportedly threatened, remain unclear. However, police have noted that this event was preceded by a series of unusual behaviors exhibited by Basin.

Just two days prior to his arrest, Basin had been removed from a community meeting in South Maui. During the meeting, he reportedly engaged in a heated dispute with Councilmember Tom Cook and his team.

Jared Agtunong, the executive assistant to Cook, claimed that after Basin was escorted out of the town hall, he approached Agtunong in the parking area, prompting police involvement.

Agtunong has since filed for a restraining order against Basin, citing a barrage of inappropriate and enigmatic text messages he received from Basin before the altercation, according to Honolulu Civil Beat.

He alleged that when he ignored a call from Basin, he was sent texts ‘telling me that I’m a piece of trash’ and that ‘I should think of my family’ as he insisted he call him back, Agtunong said in the restraining order filing. 

He said Basin continued messaging him for hours, including Basin ‘wishing me luck with prison’ and warning him, ‘You’re f***ed.’ 

Kirill Basin, 40, a longshot Democratic candidate for Congress in Hawaii was arrested after walking into a government building and allegedly threatening officials with a firearm

Days before his arrest, Basin also allegedly got into a heated argument with Maui County Councilmember Tom Cook, and Cook’s assistant Jared Agtunong (seen together) filed a restraining order against him 

Agtunong’s restraining order was filed at 3pm Friday, around two hours after Basin was arrested for allegedly threatening government workers. 

A judge granted Agtunong’s request for a temporary restraining order within two hours of it being filed in court. 

According to court records cited by the Honolulu Civil Beat, Basin was also arrested for disorderly conduct on May 2. 

On Thursday, Basin filed a lawsuit regarding that earlier arrest against Maui Police Chief John Pelletier and Maui County, alleging that he was wrongfully arrested. 

He alleged that authorities subjected him to ‘prolonged and deliberate infliction of physical, sexual and psychological abuse’ while he was detained. 

Court records showed Basin filed the lawsuit without an attorney and is representing himself, and he took to his campaign’s Instagram account to announce his action against officials. 

‘This is the lawsuit I served today. It basically outlines how 3 police officers tortured me for 14 hours,’ Basin wrote in the Instagram post. 

‘That’s the gist. It’ll never happen to anyone again.’ 

Basin, 40, is a candidate for Hawaii’s 2nd Congressional District 

Basin was previously arrested for disorderly conduct on May 2, after which he filed a lawsuit accusing police of ‘torturing’ him in custody 

Shocking Arrest: Democratic Candidate Allegedly Brandishes Gun at Government Officials

Following Basin’s arrest on Friday for allegedly threatening officials with a gun, Pelletier said in a statement: ‘The Maui Police Department will not compromise public safety, and incidents of this nature are taken extremely seriously in Maui County.

‘I am extremely proud of the quick response and professionalism displayed by our personnel, which helped ensure a peaceful resolution.’ 

Basin was arrested for terroristic threatening in the first degree, and police said additional charges are pending review, reports Hawaii News Now

The Daily Mail has contacted Cook and Agtunong for comment on the alleged altercation, and the Maui Police Department for a response to Basin’s lawsuit. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Hunter Biden Stunned by Bill Maher’s Blunt Iran Warning

Bill Maher sharply cut in as Hunter Biden weighed in on the…

Ariana Grande’s London Tour Payday: How the Pop Star Is Cashing In Before Her Break

Framed by the eerie set of a decaying house, Ariana Grande’s famed…

Report: US Taxpayers Fund $230M in Grants Studying Intersectionality, Race, Class and Privilege

WASHINGTON — Federal taxpayers have backed roughly $230 million in grants tied…

Fans Slam Danica Patrick Over Nauseating Fox Appearance

American motorsport fans were left frustrated once more on Sunday when Danica…

New Video Shows Gangster Linked to Zac Brettler Death Case

Remarkable footage of the famously camera-shy gangster linked to the death of…

Man Shot Dead Hours After Meeting Mystery Woman at Club

Steven Carden and Thomas Smith set out expecting a lively night out.…

Former NBA Star Reveals Next Move After Surprise WNBA Draft Declaration

Enes Kanter Freedom, the 6-foot-10 former NBA center who has floated an…

Trump Rages as Canada Rejects Proposed Trade Deal Offer

Donald Trump sharply escalated his criticism of Canada in a late-night broadside,…

Biden-Appointed Judge Blocks Trump Visa Freeze Affecting 75 Countries

A federal judge in New York has struck down a Trump administration…

Dr. Oz Says MMR Vaccine Is Not Lethal After Trump Remark

WASHINGTON — Dr. Mehmet Oz said Sunday that the measles, mumps and…

Buc-ee’s Opens Massive New Store as Hundreds Camp Overnight for Grand Opening

Buc-ee’s has made its long-awaited debut in Arkansas, and its most devoted…

Josh Allen Blasts Reporter Over Teammate’s Son’s Drowning Death

Josh Allen has criticized the sports reporter who publicly revealed the drowning…