Cruise descends into chaos after 200 passengers struck by stomach bug

A luxurious cruise was overshadowed by an outbreak of a stomach virus, leaving 200 travelers unwell.

The renowned Balmoral, operated by Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, embarked on a 10-day journey from Southampton, UK, to explore the scenic Norwegian Fjords.

Upon docking on January 30, around 200 passengers reported symptoms consistent with gastroenteritis, as one traveler shared with the Shetland Times.

This passenger, who wished to remain anonymous, mentioned that both he and his wife fell ill during the cruise.

He further noted that regular announcements were made, indicating an increase in passengers experiencing gastroenteritis symptoms.

The Balmoral, with a capacity of approximately 1,250 guests and 537 crew members, saw about 11 percent of those on board affected by the illness, which typically involves nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

The cause of the outbreak was not immediately confirmed. However, Cruisehive reported that norovirus is likely to be the culprit.

To prevent further transmission, the crew implemented protocols putting the ship into a state of lockdown, according to the Press and Journal.

All decks were closed, as well as all five restaurants on the ship.

To make things worse, terrible weather conditions created unsafe conditions for the Balmoral to dock in Lerwick for Shetland’s annual fire festival, Up Helly Aa. The event is the largest Viking festival held in Scotland.

The Balmoral can carry about 1,250 guests and 537 crew members, meaning that roughly 11 percent of those on board were affected by the illness

The Balmoral can carry about 1,250 guests and 537 crew members, meaning that roughly 11 percent of those on board were affected by the illness

Julie Homer told the Press Journal that the virus made the cruise an ‘unpleasant environment.’

‘We had two rough sea days, after the virus outbreak was announced last Thursday,’ Homer said. ‘All procedures changed on board; there was no self-service at meal times.’

Events such as dancing had been cancelled; and all the puzzles, books, and playing cards were locked away.

‘Staff were generally working so hard to keep everything clean,’ she noted. ‘It wasn’t very pleasant, and a lot of people, including myself, spent as much time outside as we could.

Homer said she caught the virus on Monday, January 26, and was very ill. 

‘We stayed in the cabin for 48 hours and had a visit from a nurse and calls to check how I was feeling,’ she said.

‘I was not well enough to get off the ship on Thursday, and am still not well with headaches, tiredness, and stomach aches.’

Kate Bunyan, Fred Olsen's director of health services said that the crew of the cruise 'have immediately implemented measures to help reduce transmission, and our medical team is on hand to provide support to anyone who should feel unwell during the cruise'

Kate Bunyan, Fred Olsen’s director of health services said that the crew of the cruise ‘have immediately implemented measures to help reduce transmission, and our medical team is on hand to provide support to anyone who should feel unwell during the cruise’

The series of unfortunate events was addressed by Kate Bunyan, Fred Olsen’s director of health services.

Bunyan said the company understood the disappointment of missing the much-anticipated Up-Helly-Aa festival but added that safety is their top priority before discussing the plague on board.

‘We have immediately implemented measures to help reduce transmission, and our medical team is on hand to provide support to anyone who should feel unwell during the cruise,’ wrote the director.

‘Balmoral will be returning to Southampton tomorrow, where she will set sail a little later than planned to allow for a deep clean of the ship and cruise terminal.

‘The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our highest priority, and Fred Olsen Cruise Lines has robust health, hygiene, and safety protocols in place at all times.’

The Daily Mail has reached out to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines for comment.

You May Also Like

Northern California Park Closure Draws Backlash as Homeless Residents Pledge to Resist

People experiencing homelessness are voicing anger after officials in a Northern California…

Spain Earthquake Triggers Hotel Evacuations, Raises Alarm

A magnitude-4.8 earthquake shook southern Spain on Tuesday, prompting hotel evacuations in…

Trump Votes by Mail in Florida Primary Despite In-Person Push

WASHINGTON — President Trump cast his ballot by mail in Tuesday’s Florida…

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial: Suspect Put Gun in Shooter’s Hands, Jury Told

The man accused of masterminding Tupac Shakur’s killing personally handed the firearm…

Nancy Mace Fires Back at Online Backlash Over Tattooed Arms

Outgoing Republican Rep. Nancy Mace pushed back after a wave of media…

Bad Bunny’s Beagle Joins Millie Bobby Brown’s Pup in Dogue 2026

A fresh pack of famous pups stepped into the spotlight this week…

UFO Scientist Claims US Government Is Concealing Bodies From Four Alien Races

A longtime scientist connected to the Pentagon’s UFO research efforts has claimed…

Michael Jackson’s Daughter Paris Jackson Underwent Electroconvulsive Therapy

Paris Jackson has opened up about the extent of her mental health…

Mother and Daughter Say They Were Threatened Over Pro-Women Shirts at WNBA Game

The WNBA has acknowledged that arena security mishandled a tense courtside incident…

Hayden Panettiere Ex Brian Hickerson’s DV Comments Resurface

Brian Hickerson, Hayden Panettiere’s on-and-off boyfriend and a convicted felon, openly discussed…

Monty Don’s Lush Garden Offers a Green Oasis Amid Britain’s Drought

Gardeners’ World presenter Monty Don has kept the grounds of his home…

Celine Dion Reveals Comeback Plans Amid Health Battle

Celine Dion is preparing for what fans are hoping will be a…