US 'were warned of plot to kill Trump in Turkey'

A Western intelligence agency reportedly alerted the United States to an alleged Iranian plot to assassinate Donald Trump while he was in Turkey.

Israeli broadcaster Channel 12 reported that senior figures in Iran viewed Trump’s visit to Ankara, Turkey’s capital, last week for a major NATO summit as a possible opening to target the US president.

US officials were said to have received advance warning of the alleged plan, leading to a late change in travel arrangements that saw Trump moved from his new Air Force One aircraft to an older model.

The New York Times reported last week that the switch was made in part because the Secret Service had concerns that the newer aircraft, donated by Qatar, lacked some of the security and operational features available on the older plane.

Members of the press traveling with the president were instructed to keep the window shades closed in the press cabin during take-off, though no reason was given at the time.

The reports emerged as Trump himself referred to earlier alleged Iranian assassination threats during a press conference on Wednesday.

Speaking at the NATO summit in Turkey, the president said: “They [Iran] want to take out the US leader — me. I’m on every list.”

“I’m on every single one of their lists, and so far I guess I’ve been a little bit lucky, but that maybe doesn’t last very long, because that’s the way it goes,” Trump added.

The US was warned by a Western intelligence agency that Iran was plotting to kill Donald Trump (pictured) in Turkey

The US was warned by a Western intelligence agency that Iran was plotting to kill Donald Trump (pictured) in Turkey

The new Air Force One plane (pictured) was donated by Qatar

The new Air Force One plane (pictured) was donated by Qatar 

But there have been concerns that the new plane does not have the same safety features as the old one

But there have been concerns that the new plane does not have the same safety features as the old one

The United States and Iran each asserted on Monday they controlled the Strait of Hormuz after a weekend of attacks stretching across the wider Middle East, further threatening any diplomacy to end the war.

The attacks, sparked by Iran striking a container ship Sunday in the strait off the coast of Oman, again underlined that the waterway that once saw a fifth of the world’s traded crude oil and natural gas pass through it remained the key issue in negotiations. 

The narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf has seen shipping disrupted since the start of the war as Iran maintained a chokehold on it by attacking commercial vessels around it, intimidating shippers.

Iran and the US are nearly at the midway point of the 60-day period of an interim deal that was supposed to set up talks for a permanent end to the war. 

Instead, it has devolved into a series of attacks over the strait and its future, worrying world leaders the Iran war fully could resume.

‘A return to full-scale hostilities would have catastrophic consequences,’ United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said in a statement. 

The US military’s Central Command described its forces as hitting dozens of sites in the strikes Monday, including air defense systems, radar sites, missile and drone equipment and small boats.

President Donald Trump waves as he switches planes at US Air Force Base, RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk Eastern England

President Donald Trump waves as he switches planes at US Air Force Base, RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk Eastern England

‘The Strait of Hormuz is a vital maritime corridor for global trade,’ Central Command said. ‘Iran does not control it.’

The European Union’s top diplomat, Kaja Kallas, also called for the strait to be open as it was before the war.

‘The Strait of Hormuz has to be opened, freedom of navigation has to be respected,’ she said.

Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, a key power center in the country’s theocracy that controls its ballistic missile arsenal, sharply rejected America’s statement.

‘The Strait of Hormuz is our territory, and we will not allow a rogue and child-killing army from the other side of the world to continue its illegal interference in it,’ the Guard said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Strait of Hormuz Traffic Surges Nearly 400%, Data Shows

Iran’s influence over the Strait of Hormuz appears to be weakening as…

Mandelson Police Investigation at Risk of Collapse, Sources Say

The Metropolitan Police investigation into claims that Lord Mandelson may have passed…

How a $1bn Narco Fugitive Lived Like a King in Sierra Leone

Set along Sierra Leone’s Tokeh Beach, the palm-lined Two Seasons resort promises…

NYPD Commissioner Pledges Support for Jewish Community After NYC Synagogue Attack

Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch pledged Friday that Jewish institutions across New York…

Beloved Kids’ Entertainer Speaks Out After Psychiatric Hold

Beloved children’s entertainer Mychal Threets has spoken publicly for the first time…

Trump Backs Darline Graham as Love Gov Endorses Rival

Sen. Darline Graham (R-SC) may have turned an apparent debate stumble into…

Ivanka Trump’s Grueling Diet and Fitness Routine Revealed

Ivanka Trump has kept her summer style in the spotlight, repeatedly drawing…

Inside the Yorkshire Prison Where Five Female Guards Fell for Inmates

The former mining villages north of Doncaster are hardly places most people…

Thoughtful Man Surprises California Deli Server With Heartwarming Gesture

A California deli server received an unexpected show of gratitude from a…

Ridley Scott, 88, Reveals Rare Glimpse Into Family Life

Ridley Scott has offered an uncommon glimpse into his life away from…

400-Pound Big Dave Becomes College Football’s Heaviest Player

College football appears to have a new heaviest player entering the 2026…

Meghan Markle’s Rumored Guy Ritchie TV Role Faces Setback

Meghan Markle’s widely discussed return to scripted television has reportedly hit a…