Share this @internewscast.com

In a significant development amidst the ongoing conflict, Ukraine and Russia have carried out their first prisoner swap in several months, each releasing at least 157 individuals. This exchange comes on the heels of US-mediated discussions held in Abu Dhabi, which aim to pave the way towards resolving the war.

Historically, prisoner swaps have been one of the few direct interactions between these two nations since the war broke out four years ago. However, tensions flared recently when Ukraine accused Russia of putting a halt to these exchanges last month.

On Thursday, in a gesture of cooperation facilitated by the United States, both countries agreed to the exchange of 157 captured soldiers and civilians from each side. This event marked the first such exchange since October, providing a glimmer of hope for future dialogue.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy expressed gratitude and relief over the breakthrough, stating on social media, “Today’s exchange came after a long pause, and it is critical that we were able to make it happen. I thank everyone who works to make these exchanges possible.”

Accompanying his statement were poignant images of the released Ukrainian prisoners. These individuals, with their heads shaved, were captured smiling and draped in Ukrainian flags, standing amidst a gentle snowfall—a symbol of resilience and national pride.

Dmytro Lubinets, the Ukrainian parliament commissioner for human rights, highlighted that among the 157 Ukrainians freed were seven civilians as well as others who had been “unlawfully convicted” by Russian authorities.

Zelenskyy’s aide Kyrylo Budanov said that in the group of the freed prisoners were 19 Ukrainians “who were illegally sentenced, 15 of them to life imprisonment”.

Russia, who said the United States and United Arab Emirates acted as mediators for the exchange, announced earlier it had handed over 157 Ukrainian soldiers and that 157 Russian servicemen were returned.

Russian servicemen released from Ukrainian captivity, board a bus.
Russia announced it had handed over 157 Ukrainian soldiers and that 157 Russian servicemen were returned. Source: AAP / Russian Defence Ministry

“In addition, three Russian citizens, residents of the Kursk region … will be returned home,” the Russian defence ministry said in a statement.

Ukrainian forces launched a surprise incursion into Russia’s western Kursk region in 2024.

‘Significant’ work ahead in talks

Despite the prisoner exchange, there were no immediate signs of progress on the thornier issue of territory.

“It is certainly not easy, but Ukraine has been and will remain as constructive as possible,” Zelenskyy said of the talks.

Ukraine’s lead negotiator, Rustem Umerov, said on social media that “the delegations agreed to inform their capitals and continue trilateral talks in the coming weeks”.

US mediator Steve Witkoff conceded that “significant” work still lay ahead.

The negotiations are the latest bid in diplomatic efforts to halt the fighting — Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II, with hundreds of thousands killed, millions forced to flee their homes and much of eastern and southern Ukraine devastated.

As talks were underway, large swathes of the Ukrainian capital were still without heating in sub-zero temperatures, after successive Russian strikes knocked out energy supplies to hundreds of apartment blocks.

The main sticking point in the negotiations is the long-term fate of territory in eastern Ukraine.

Russia is demanding that Ukraine pull its troops out of swathes of the Donbas region, including heavily fortified cities atop vast natural resources, before any deal.

It also wants international recognition that land seized in the invasion belongs to Russia.

Kyiv has said the conflict should be frozen along the current front line and has rejected a pull-back of forces.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…

Surge in Labor Data Signals Imminent Interest Rate Hike: Expert Insights

In Brief Australia’s unemployment rate held steady at 4.1 per cent for…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…