US updates travel warning for quake-hit nation, citing disaster risks and violent crime

U.S. officials are urging Americans to think carefully before traveling to Venezuela, citing a growing set of risks for visitors to the South American country.

In a June 27 update, the U.S. State Department kept Venezuela at Level 3, a designation that advises travelers to “Reconsider Travel.”

Although Venezuela has remained under a Level 3 advisory throughout the year, the latest notice now highlights the country’s recent earthquakes as an additional concern.

On June 24, Venezuela was hit by a magnitude 7.2 foreshock, followed shortly afterward by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake.

“Venezuela experienced a powerful foreshock and earthquake in rapid succession,” the State Department said in its advisory.

The agency said the events led to “extensive damage and disruption to transportation, infrastructure, and emergency services.”

Beyond the earthquake damage, officials continue to warn travelers about “crime, kidnapping, terrorism, and poor health infrastructure” in Venezuela.

The advisory also notes that serious violent crime remains a threat, stating that “homicide, armed robbery, and kidnapping occur” in the country.


Here’s the latest on the Venezuela earthquakes


“Irregular armed groups can carry out acts of violence against citizens without warning. There are no reliable crime statistics.”

Several areas in Venezuela are also under a Level 4 “Do Not Travel” advisory.

This includes the Venezuela-Colombia border region, Amazonas state, Apure state, and Aragua state outside of Maracay, as well as Guárico state, Táchira state, and rural areas of Bolívar state.

While Venezuela is not considered a major tourist destination, some Americans still travel there to visit family or explore attractions such as Angel Falls and Los Roques National Park in the Venezuelan Caribbean.

The advisory comes amid a complicated relationship between the U.S. and Venezuela, with Washington providing disaster relief months after Maduro’s arrest.

After magnitude 7.2 and 7.5 earthquakes struck the northern part of the South American nation last week, the American government stepped in to help in a move that the administration says has been welcomed by the Venezuelan government.

“We have seen total compliance from the interim authorities in Venezuela as a result of the unprecedented response by the United States to these deadly earthquakes,” a State Department official previously told Fox News Digital.

Fox News Digital reached out to the State Department for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

New York Reports First Brain-Swelling Mosquito Virus Case

New York City health officials have confirmed the city’s first West Nile…

NYC Mayoral Aide Signals Aid for Stores Impacted by City-Run Supermarkets

A top official helping steer New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s proposed…

Anti-Pauline Hanson Leader’s Past Call to Abolish Age of Consent Resurfaces

A senior activist linked to the organisation involved in the recent anti-Pauline…

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Off Boyfriend Speaks Out After Brother Jansen’s Tragic Death

Brian Hickerson, the on-and-off boyfriend of Hayden Panettiere, has issued a statement…

Rubio Leads Vance in 2028 Poll vs Newsom, Harris and AOC

Secretary of State Marco Rubio is running ahead of Vice President JD…

Susie Wiles Protégé Sparks Chaos as Dirty Secret Emerges

Donald Trump scarcely recognized the name of the young operative helping staff…

Meghan Markle Denies Claim She Wanted to Become a U.S. Senator

Meghan Markle has pushed back against claims that she sought a path…

Foreign Migrant Convicted of Rape Wins Right to Remain in UK

Reform UK and Conservative MPs have renewed demands for sweeping changes to…

Karmelo Anthony’s Lawyer Shares Personal Puberty Detail During Case

A murder trial that exposed deep racial divisions across the country came…

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Secret Cotswolds House Hunt

Harry and Meghan are believed to have made a discreet stay in…

ISIS-Linked New Yorker Accused of State Capitol Bomb Plot Also Eyed White House and Times Square NYE Attack

A New York woman accused of planning an ISIS-inspired bombing at the…

Baby Dies After Doctor Grandmother Leaves Her in Hot Car, Police Say

Stacey Fazenbaker rushed across the parking lot of her medical practice, gripped…