Appeals court orders new trial for Pedro Hernandez, convicted in 1979 case of Etan Patz, among 1st missing kids on milk cartons

In a significant development, a federal appeals court has granted a new trial for Pedro Hernandez, who was previously convicted for the 1979 murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz. The case, which stands as one of the most infamous missing child cases in the United States, saw its guilty verdict overturned on Monday.

Since his arrest in 2012 and subsequent conviction in 2017, Hernandez has been serving a sentence of 25 years to life. The arrest came after an extensive and unsettling search that spanned decades, following Etan’s disappearance on the very day he was first permitted to walk by himself to his school bus stop in New York City.

The appeals court highlighted that the trial judge’s handling of a jury note during Hernandez’s 2017 trial was “clearly wrong” and “manifestly prejudicial.” This trial was his second, as his first trial in 2015 ended in a jury deadlock. Throughout, his lawyers have maintained his innocence.

The court ordered Hernandez’s release unless the 64-year-old gets a new trial within “a reasonable period.”

The Manhattan district attorney’s office, which prosecuted the case, said it was reviewing the decision. The trial predated current DA Alvin Bragg, a Democrat.

Harvey Fishbein, an attorney for Hernandez, declined to comment when reached Monday by phone.

A message seeking comment was sent to Etan’s parents. They spent decades pursuing an arrest, and then a conviction, in their son’s case and pressing to improve the handling of missing-child cases nationwide.

Etan was among the first missing children pictured on milk cartons. His case contributed to an era of fear among American families, making anxious parents more protective of kids who had been allowed to roam and play unsupervised in their neighborhoods.

The Patzes’ advocacy helped establish a national missing-children hotline and made it easier for law enforcement agencies to share information about such cases. The May 25 anniversary of Etan’s disappearance became National Missing Children’s Day.

“They waited and persevered for 35 years for justice for Etan which today, sadly, may have been lost,” former Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. said after hearing about Monday’s reversal. Vance, now in private practice, had prioritized reexamining the case and oversaw the trials.

Etan was a first grader who always wanted “to do everything that adults did,” his mother, Julie Patz, told jurors in 2017.

So on the morning of May 25, 1979, she agreed the boy could walk by himself to the school bus stop a block and a half away. She walked him downstairs, watched him walk part of the way and never saw him again.

For decades, Etan’s parents kept the same apartment and even phone number in case he might try to reach them.

Etan’s case spurred a huge search and an enduring, far-flung investigation. But no trace of him was ever found. A civil court declared him dead in 2001.

Hernandez was a teenager working at a convenience shop in Etan’s downtown Manhattan neighborhood when the boy vanished. Police met him while canvassing the area but didn’t suspect him until they got a 2012 tip that he’d made remarks years earlier about having killed a child in New York, not mentioning Etan’s name.

Hernandez then told police he’d lured Etan into the store’s basement by promising the boy a soda, then choked him because “something just took over me.” He said he put Etan, still alive, in a box and left it with curbside trash.

Hernandez’s lawyers said his confession was false, spurred by a mental illness that makes him confuse reality with imagination. He also has a very low IQ.

His daughter testified that he talked about seeing visions of angels and demons and once watered a dead tree branch, believing it would grow. Prosecutors suggested Hernandez faked or exaggerated his symptoms.

The defense pointed to another suspect, a convicted child molester who made incriminating statements years ago about Etan but denied killing him and later insisted he wasn’t involved in the boy’s disappearance. He was never charged.

The trials happened in a New York state court. Etan’s appeal eventually wound into federal court and revolved around Hernandez’ police interrogation in 2012.

Police questioned Hernandez for seven hours – and they said he confessed – before they read him his rights and started recording. Hernandez then repeated his admission on tape, at least twice.

During nine days of deliberations, jurors sent repeated queries about those statements. The last inquiry asked whether they had to disregard the two recorded confessions if they concluded that the first one was invalid.

The judge said no. The appeals court said the jury should have gotten a more thorough explanation of its options, which could have included disregarding all of the confessions.

Associated Press writers Larry Neumeister in New York and Eric Tucker in Washington contributed.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Alaska Charter Plane Crash Kills 8 at Cape Newenham Radar Site - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Charter Plane Crash Kills 8 at Cape Newenham Radar Site

A charter aircraft carrying eight people went down Thursday at a remote…
Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation - Internewscast Journal

Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation

The training exercise quickly took a chaotic turn. A Florida sheriff’s office…
Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old - Internewscast Journal

Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old

A Southern California family is grieving the devastating loss of their 8-year-old…
Flames’ Ethan Wyttenbach Sets Big Goals for Sophomore Year - Internewscast Journal

Flames’ Ethan Wyttenbach Sets Big Goals for Sophomore Year

Ethan Wyttenbach is eager for the moment when his NHL opportunity finally…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
California Father Attacked in Jacuzzi During Alleged iPhone Theft - Internewscast Journal

California Father Attacked in Jacuzzi During Alleged iPhone Theft

A California father’s quiet soak in a jacuzzi turned violent when two…
Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview

Marc Jacobs says he would not rule out dressing Luigi Mangione for…
Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers - Internewscast Journal

Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers

Walmart is putting billions of dollars from tariff refunds back into price…
Substitute Teacher Accused of False Shooter Alerts at 5 Schools - Internewscast Journal

Substitute Teacher Accused of False Shooter Alerts at 5 Schools

A Louisiana substitute teacher has been arrested after investigators said she sent…
Untapped Karmelo Anthony evidence cache showed he stalked ex-girlfriend, had 'knives' obsession: prosecutors

Prosecutors Say Karmelo Anthony Evidence Cache Shows Stalking of Ex-Girlfriend and Knife Obsession

Prosecutors said Thursday that jurors who convicted Karmelo Anthony of murder never…